Ancient Dna Studies Wish List

T101

Reaction score
With the Holiday Season and New Year fast approaching what is everyone looking forward to on the genetics front?

What is on your wish list? And what is your prediction as to what will be revealed?

My wish list:

1 - Y-Dna from the Wielbark and Przeworsk Cultures. Who was there? I1? I2? R1a-Z280, R1a-M-458, R1b-U106? Was it Eastern Germanic, Baltic, Proto-Slavic, or something inbetween? Where was the Slavic Urheimet?

- prediction: Eastern Germanic. Mixed genetically. I1, I2, and R1b-U106 from Jastorf mixed with R1a-Z280 and some R1a-M458. Slavic Urheimet further to the East.

2 - Any Mesolithic Y-Dna. Retest Cheddar Man! Wouldn't be amazing if anything descended from Haplogroup F wasn't in Europe at that time. Highly unlikely but fun to shake things up!

- bet: All C! Haplogroup I arrives in the Neolithic. Ok to hedge my bet: some I.

3 - Y- Dna from the Kemi Oba culture. Was R1b out on the steppe and part of the Yamnaya horizon?

- bet: Yes, but the major incursion of R1b into Europe was through Anatolia and into the Balkans.

stocking stuffers:

1 - Ancestry Painting 2.0 at 23andme. Seriously how much longer. Roll it out!

2 - A comprehensive study on Y-Dna in the Balkans. Sorely under-represented.

3 - Anything on France! It's the black hole of genetic testing...

Happy holidays to all

2 - Any Mesolithic Y-Dna. Retest Cheddar Man! Wouldn't be amazing if anything descended from Haplogroup F wasn't in Europe at that time. Highly unlikely but fun to shake things up!

- bet: All C! Haplogroup I arrives in the Neolithic. Ok to hedge my bet: some I.

I'd take that bet. My guess: Majority F descendants, including a majority I in Mesolithic Western/Central Europe. Some areas with majority E, but not Cheddar Man or his neighbors.

Great list, by the way.

I'd take that bet. My guess: Majority F descendants, including a majority I in Mesolithic Western/Central Europe. Some areas with majority E, but not Cheddar Man or his neighbors.

Haha... sure you're on. I love a long shot. And mostly all C for Mesolithic Europe is certainly a very, very long shot indeed! Drinks are almost certainly on me!

It just strikes me that people are so complacent about Haplogroup I originating in Europe, and take it as almost gospel, when there is no evidence other than it being the best option.

It reminds me of back in the day, when there was Spencer Wells and Nat Geo, and people making grand conclusions based on 'bikini' haplotypes and the frequency of haplogroups.

During the LGM, R1b was in Spain, I y-dna was in the Balkans, and R1a was in the Ukraine, and to challenge any of those assumptions was viewed as heresy and ridiculed.

Ftdna had all the R1a's as one group of close brothers originating in India and related to everyone from Iceland to India and everywhere inbetween. Ahhh... life was so simple back then! Good times!

How far we've come... yet how little we still probably know. But that's what makes it so dam interesting and fun!

Great question

1. Published study on Y chromosome of 17th dynasty Egypt
2. More research on France (I second that)

With the Holiday Season and New Year fast approaching what is everyone looking forward to on the genetics front?

What is on your wish list? And what is your prediction as to what will be revealed?

My wish list:

1 - Y-Dna from the Wielbark and Przeworsk Cultures. Who was there? I1? I2? R1a-Z280, R1a-M-458, R1b-U106? Was it Eastern Germanic, Baltic, Proto-Slavic, or something inbetween? Where was the Slavic Urheimet?

- prediction: Eastern Germanic. Mixed genetically. I1, I2, and R1b-U106 from Jastorf mixed with R1a-Z280 and some R1a-M458. Slavic Urheimet further to the East.

3 - Y- Dna from the Kemi Oba culture. Was R1b out on the steppe and part of the Yamnaya horizon?

- bet: Yes, but the major incursion of R1b into Europe was through Anatolia and into the Balkans.

stocking stuffers:

1 - Ancestry Painting 2.0 at 23andme. Seriously how much longer. Roll it out!

2 - A comprehensive study on Y-Dna in the Balkans. Sorely under-represented.

3 - Anything on France! It's the black hole of genetic testing...

Happy holidays to all

i would like to know why have they not found any DNA in the 400 plus skeltons of the venetic, the 200 of the illyrians

I would like to know if these east-germanics are really germanic or a archaic tribe that has disappeared

see below hypothethical map

at 1000BC was there slavs there or where they any ancient form of vandili confederation ? or do we beleive the slavs where in europe already?

The area splits seem logical to me

Id like to know the Isolated mtdna of the British Isles and there subclades
Id also like to know the mtdna of Ancient civilizations :)

Any Ydna From Either The Aurignacian Culture Or Graveittan Would Be Amazing, But Alas YDna Seems To Be Extremeley Hard To Extract From Such Ancient Samples.

I just want MORE results mostly autosomal tied in with Y and mtDNA to make sense if the older results.

This thread has been viewed 9096 times.

Back