haplogroup i1a

nordvik

Reaction score
Ethnic group
germanic(nordic)
My dna haplogroup is haplogroup i1a what are its origins.I think its Germanic but i am not sure.Thanks

Last edited:
What is telling you that you are I1a? I need to know because there are different nomenclatures. Right now ISOGG uses "I1a" for I1 DF29+, which is most of I1. But FTDNA uses "I1a" for I1 M21+, which is almost none of I1.

i1a

I am talking in terms of ftdna.

I am talking in terms of ftdna.

Wow, FTDNA actually calls you I1a? That's incredibly rare. You should join the I1 Project and once they place you in a group, you should post your kit number here so that we can see if we can tell you where you fit.

What is known about I1 M21+?

How exactly would one join the i1 project and what is so rare about i1a?

How exactly would one join the i1 project and what is so rare about i1a?

Sign into FTDNA, go to the I1 Project (click here), and click "Join Request" at the top.

Hey Everyone! New here - ready to rumble!

Anyone test positve for Z2541? What have your learned about it and the cluster group you belong too? I am awaiting results which will probaly be about a month away - ouch!

Good to be here!

Hey Everyone! New here - ready to rumble!

Anyone test positve for Z2541? What have your learned about it and the cluster group you belong too? I am awaiting results which will probaly be about a month away - ouch!

Good to be here!

Z2541 (formerly "ESc-13" I think) is a curious clade... a bit of an outlier among the West Germanic Z58 clades, and entirely confined to Scotland or near Scotland. Could be an example of early drift out of the proto-Germanic population into Celtic British populations. (Or maybe we just haven't found the later Continental source population yet.)

Z2541 (formerly "ESc-13" I think) is a curious clade... a bit of an outlier among the West Germanic Z58 clades, and entirely confined to Scotland or near Scotland. Could be an example of early drift out of the proto-Germanic population into Celtic British populations. (Or maybe we just haven't found the later Continental source population yet.)

On the most recent chart in my Project there are three men who test positive for this SNP and their earliest ancestors were from NOR and PRT (guessing Portugal), the last guys was USA. And Nordtvedt's recent tree still has this with ESc-13 w/ a ? beside it. By the way why does he lable it 'ES' and not AS - I thought AS stood for Anglo-Saxon? What is ES?

Thanks!

On the most recent chart in my Project there are three men who test positive for this SNP and their earliest ancestors were from NOR and PRT (guessing Portugal), the last guys was USA. And Nordtvedt's recent tree still has this with ESc-13 w/ a ? beside it. By the way why does he lable it 'ES' and not AS - I thought AS stood for Anglo-Saxon? What is ES?

Thanks!

I'm not sure what ES stands for. East Scotland?

Anyway, great to hear that we're starting to find continental samples of it. Makes more sense in that case. Maybe we're looking a North Germanic Z58 clade? Norway, Portugal, and Scotland, hm...

I'm not sure what ES stands for. East Scotland?

Anyway, great to hear that we're starting to find continental samples of it. Makes more sense in that case. Maybe we're looking a North Germanic Z58 clade? Norway, Portugal, and Scotland, hm...

East Scotland - sounds good! Well if I come back positive for this snp then we will have one whose ealiest ancestor was from England - although that is from Census records so I guess an earlier ancestor from Scotland could be possible?

Distribution and frequency of I1a*

Britains DNA have tested my Y-DNA and report markers are carried for M258, M253 and S438 which, according to ISOGG (2013), indicates a haplogroup of I1a. As I don't carry a marker for M227, S142, S244 or S243, I'm not I1a1, I1a2, I1a3 or I1a4 respectively but simply I1a*. Does anyone know of any details for this specific subgroup such as distribution or frequency?

Britains DNA have tested my Y-DNA and report markers are carried for M258, M253 and S438 which, according to ISOGG (2013), indicates a haplogroup of I1a. As I don't carry a marker for M227, S142, S244 or S243, I'm not I1a1, I1a2, I1a3 or I1a4 respectively but simply I1a*. Does anyone know of any details for this specific subgroup such as distribution or frequency?

Have you checked the Haplogroup I1 DNA Project at FTDNA? Take a look there. I1-DF29* looks to be all over the place.

A lot of what is now lowland scotland was settled by angles in the early period of anglo saxon migrations and that area was then in england and following the norman conquest and subsequent waste by William the bastard fled into lowland Scotland so I1 dna would not be unusual in Scotland especialy if it is germanic as opposed to norse value.

A lot of what is now lowland scotland was settled by angles in the early period of anglo saxon migrations and that area was then in england and following the norman conquest and subsequent waste by William the bastard fled into lowland Scotland so I1 dna would not be unusual in Scotland especialy if it is germanic as opposed to norse value.

True. People often seem to overlook this.

Sorry I had to correct. Norse are Germanic too. So talking about German and Norse would makes more sense since Germanic includes the Norse too.

Sorry I had to correct. Norse are Germanic too. So talking about German and Norse would makes more sense since Germanic includes the Norse too.

I agree with this Germanic should be used to include all groups from that root culture. Although, Germanic can be broken down into smaller groups for specificity.

You say that you are a member of haplogroup I1a. Thus, you are part of the most northerly distributed branch of the paternal I haplogroup. Globally, the highest frequencies of this subgroup of haplogroup I are found in Scandinavia; in Norway, Sweden, and Denmark to be more precise. In Norway , this haplogroup can be found in about 35-40% of males. Same for Sweden ( 35-40%). In Denmark, the percentage of i1a is about 10 percentage points less (30%) of males. It can also be found in 30% of Finns although the latter also have VERY high frequencies of haplogroup N, thus severely differentiating them from the bulk of European males. As an interesting side note, your haplogroup and particular subclade can also be found in (15-20%) of English men , especially those from the Danelaw regions of England due to viking conquests and Danish Migrations. in 15% of German men, from northern Germany in particular, in 15-20% of Dutch men, and also in certain Belgian and French males. And also in about on third (33%) of Icelandic men, pointing to a link between Icelanders and Vikings from Scandinavia.

This thread has been viewed 33747 times.

Back