Leopold III, Margrave of Austria 1073 A.D. = R1b Hg - early Germanic Dynasty lineage

pipinnacanus

Reaction score
1) Leopold III was born at Babenberg castle in Gars am Kamp Lower Austria
Niederösterreich, in the year 1073 A.D., the son of Margrave Leopold II and Ida of Formbach-Ratelnberg
Leopold III's second wife was Agnes, the widowed sister of Emperor Henry V. Agnes had influential connections through her previous marriage, one of her sons being Conrad III (Hohenstaufen dynasty) King of Germany.

Leopold III also founded the monasteries of Heiligenkreuz, Kleinmariazell and Seitenstetten which developed a territory still largely covered by forest.

2) His father, Leopold II (born 1050 A.D.) was a Babenberg Margrave of Austria ruling from 1075 onwards. He was known as Leopold the 'Fair'.
3) Leopold the Fair was descended from Ernest the Brave (born either 1026 or 1027 A.D.) and Adelaide of Eilenburg, the daughter of Margrave Dedo II of Meissen.
4) Ernest the Brave was descended from Adalbert the Victorious (985 A.D.) who was Margrave of Austria from 1018 until his death. Adalbert extended the eastern border of the then small Ostmark of Bavaria as far as the rivers Morava/March and Leitha and supported King Henry III in his battles against Hungary andBohemia
5)Leopold I (died 994), also Luitpold or Liutpold, called the Illustrious (der Erlauchte), was the first Margrave of Austria from the House of Babenberg. and the father of Ernest the Brave. Leopold was a count in the Bavarian Donaugau shire and first appears in documents from the 960s as Liupo, a faithful follower of Emperor Otto I.
Otto I (November 23, 912 – May 7, 973), also known as Otto the Great, was the founder of the Holy Roman Empire, reigning from 936 until his death in 973. The oldest son ofHenry I the Fowler and Matilda of Ringelheim, Otto was "the first of the Germans to be called the emperor of Italy".

Even though he is not mentioned in the Babenberger Chronicle written by his Leopolds' descendant Otto of Freising (which only starts with Leopold's grandson Adalbert) Leopold is known as the progenitor of this dynasty

DYS389I=13
DYS389II=28
DYS390=23
DYS391=11(10)
DYS458=16
DYS385a/b=11/14
DYS393=13
DYS439=12
DYS635=23
DYS392=13
YGATAH4=12
DYS437=15
DYS438=12
DYS448=19
DYS456=16

Agnes and Adalbert are in Mtdna Hg 'R0'
Ernst is in Mtdna Hg 'T(2b)'
For Leopold no Mtdna determination could be made.
The DNA analyses on bone samples attributed to Adalbert, Agnes and Leopold III gave strong evidence of a son-parent constellation

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1872497312002360

The only unanswered question regarding the Babenberg Germanic lineage at this point is whether this is a U-106 R1b Y-line or some other SNP within R1b.

Good find ! I will add them to my list of Royal DNA.

Just one thing that doesn't make sense is that Ernst was Agnes's son, so their mtDNA should be the same. Adalbert was Leopold III's son from his first marriage though.

Wow, nice find:
so, they tested:
Leopold III of Austria,his wife Agnes of Germany,
and Leopold's sons Adalbert and Ernst.
It seems that the bodies named "Adalbert" and "Agnes" are mother-son,
but that the body named "Ernst" due to its different mt-dna is not the son of "Agnes".

This is contradictionary with the genealogy shown in:
http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/AUSTRIA.htm#_Toc153090729
Here Ernst clearly is called son of Leopold III and Agnes, and is the mother of Adalbert disputed.

To me, it then would not be strange to assume a mixing-up of Ernst and Adalbert's bodies.

The maternal line of Agnes, wife of Leopold, who carries mt-DNA R0:
1. Agnes of Germany, daughter of:
2. Bertha of Savoie x Henry IV of Germany
3. Adelaide di Susa x Odo of Savoie
4. Bertha degli Obertenghi x Manfredo de Maurienne
5. wife of Oberto II count of Luni.

The maternal line of Agnes goes back to Northern Italy.
Does anyone knows of R0 in this area?

The maternal line of Agnes, wife of Leopold, who carries mt-DNA R0:
1. Agnes of Germany, daughter of:
2. Bertha of Savoie x Henry IV of Germany
3. Adelaide di Susa x Odo of Savoie
4. Bertha degli Obertenghi x Manfredo de Maurienne
5. wife of Oberto II count of Luni.

The maternal line of Agnes goes back to Northern Italy.
Does anyone knows of R0 in this area?

MtDNA R0 is a typical haplogroup from the Middle East. In Europe it is most common in Italy and Greece, so it is consistent with Agnes' matrilineal ancestry.

Has there been any SNP test yet, or do we know if is something is planned? It would indeed be very interesting if also this line is U106, since the Wettin lineage is found to be that.

This thread has been viewed 7260 times.

Back