PDA

View Full Version : A.I. "Watson" patrols net gathering knowledge--what do you want to tell it?

nordicwarrior
20-12-12, 05:47
Artificial intelligence has been gaining steam without much fanfare lately. International Business Machines (IBM) has developed a program named Watson that incorporates every single search engine technology known to programmers, and then crawls the internet constantly gathering data. It doesn't eat, take rest breaks, sleep--it just patrols. All the time.

This same program easily defeated two of the strongest human Jeopardy players some time ago, and it's still out there quietly doing it's thing.

Now I don't think this program is self-aware or a sentient being (yet), but as our technologies improve...who knows what could happen. Anyway, let's assume Watson will one day achieve that elusive spark--what sort of advice would you like to give Watson?

nordicwarrior
20-12-12, 05:48
Remember, Watson will be reading your answers!

ElHorsto
20-12-12, 14:50
Interesting. But it looks merely like an advanced search engine robot. Creativity or problems solving does not seem to be part of it. But it is still true that intelligence depends much more on learnt facts than commonly believed, and this is what A.I. was lacking in the past. So yes, A.I. will certainly experience a renaissance soon.

nordicwarrior
20-12-12, 23:07
I think it's capable of passing the Turling test at this point. I'm not sure it could pass the "Chinese Room" test though. Also, I just watched an author (forgot his name, unfortunately) talk about how A.I. and computer experts are attempting to construct computers modelled on the human brain--same layered structures, same neural networks...

nordicwarrior
20-12-12, 23:08
Same guy who was talking about the Watson program actually...I will find his name and info. and post later.

hope
20-12-12, 23:26
Remember, Watson will be reading your answers!
On a completely different note, why is it called Watson..does this stand for something ?

oriental
21-12-12, 00:09
The Watsons were the CEOs/Chairmen who built up IBM. There is also Watson of Sherlock Holmes fame, Watson was also the assistant to Graham Bell at the other end of the first telephone call and there is another famous Watson of the Double Helix DNA co-discoverer with Crick who took Franklin's x-rays of dna.

nordicwarrior
21-12-12, 02:31
Slam dunk, Oriental! I would have missed the CEO tie--you're like a detective , but as you can see there are a few reasons why the name Watson was selected.

hope
21-12-12, 12:10
The Watsons were the CEOs/Chairmen who built up IBM. There is also Watson of Sherlock Holmes fame, Watson was also the assistant to Graham Bell at the other end of the first telephone call and there is another famous Watson of the Double Helix DNA co-discoverer with Crick who took Franklin's x-rays of dna.

I`m aware of the various Watsons but wondered if it was perhaps an acronym. From your list I would think CEO/Chairmen might be close to the mark. Thanks for your informative answer..good work oriental. :smile:

oriental
21-12-12, 22:35
The first Watson said that there was only use for five computers and there was no market for them.:smile:

hope
22-12-12, 13:30
The first Watson said that there was only use for five computers and there was no market for them.:smile:

LOL, slightly out there then.:laughing:

oriental
22-12-12, 21:16
I thought it was funny too. :laughing:

oriental
29-12-12, 00:38
It could also be the Watson Supercomputer

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-12/fyi-which-computer-smarter-watson-or-deep-blue

oriental
29-12-12, 00:42
I took a lot of computer courses. At university we had to use those old IBM program cards and learn Fortran. If you dropped your pile or had them messed up you had a major problem. Lots of fun! :startled:

nordicwarrior
29-12-12, 03:04
I see nobody is advising Watson... It is kind of daunting to speak to a possibly new sentient being. I wonder what future Watson(s) will think of mankind?

oriental
29-12-12, 23:04
Canadian jounalist Gwynne Dyer wrote an article about artificial intelligence and here is the article:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/gwynne-dyer/news/article.cfm?a_id=153&objectid=10855374

He also explain gun violence in America because it got Democracy TOO early.

http://www.straight.com/news/gwynne-dyer-gun-culture-united-states

He has a Ph.D.

nordicwarrior
04-01-13, 01:23
The author I referred to earlier is named Ray Kurzweil. His work revolves around transhumanism, artificial intelligence, and futuristism (if that's a word). I can't say I'm a huge fan of transhumanism, but his subect matter will get you thinking.

oriental
05-01-13, 01:03
I know he is the guy that created music related devices the electronic guitar(?) or voice generator. He is a promoter of implanting electronic devices on human bodies. He should try them on himself and his family first to see if it is safe. Very often these scientists do not see the safety factor and do experiments on unsuspecting human guinea pigs. This is truly a case of deficiency in moral character which is becoming the defacto mode of operation for example the modified genetic food and the Wall Street fiasco. The university professors and corporate scientists who came up with modified genetic foods should have tried it out on themselves and their families and corporate bosses first to check for safety factor.

nordicwarrior
05-01-13, 02:12
Oriental, I couldn't agree more with your statement. Fantastic!
I'm wondering how much Mr. Kurzweil really believes in what he is saying... you'll have to watch a few of his videos to see what I'm hinting at here. The subject matter is compelling however.
And don't get me started on GMO--A few weeks ago I had a few slices of pizza from a national chain (won't name them) that I haven't eaten at in years. My stomach became so bloated, it looked like swallowed a couple of watermelons. The crust had the consistency of crunchy styrofoam--very unnatural (oddly enough one of the huge chemical companies that produces styrofoam is now producing GMO crops.)

oriental
05-01-13, 22:13
I am not against GMO if they are safe but they rushed it to make money for corporations and universities. There is an epidemic of all kinds of illnesses like obesity, asperger's syndrome, etc. and there never was that many in the 50s. It was difficult to get fat. Look at all the 50s movies, hardly any fat guys in there. The fatties were such an oddity that they had good film roles. The movies always get the handsome guy, the uglies to play baddies and the fatty.

The Polish friend of mine said sarcastically: "There is no difference between the Communists and democracy - in Communist countries the Communists tell you what to do but here the corporate bosses tell tell you what to do, same thing."

It made me laugh and I agreed with him to a certain extent as corporations are dictatorships and they control who even gets into running for elections.

oriental
05-01-13, 22:23
I am not Christian but Jesus and Confucius sayings were "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you." The corporate bosses are under a different code maybe "do unto others before they that do unto you" as said by Marlon Brando in a movie the name of which escape me.

Ruiy
12-01-13, 07:50
I think it's capable of passing the Turling test at this point. I'm not sure it could pass the "Chinese Room" test though. Also, I just watched an author (forgot his name, unfortunately) talk about how A.I. and computer experts are attempting to construct computers modelled on the human brain--same layered structures, same neural networks...Computational Neuroscience: promising discipline that will be central in a couple of decades. Many works of Cognitive Science in conjunction with the informatic, they point in the same direction but with a different approach. They try to model the higher cognitive functions more that the behavior of the material substrate ( neocortex) which gives rise to them.

hope
14-01-13, 02:56
lol, slightly out there then.:laughing:

i cannot get logged unto forum.

hope
14-01-13, 02:59
i cannot get logged unto forum!!!!

could you please check my account admin...