PDA

View Full Version : Italy and Switzerland/Alsace migrations

Giordano57
25-12-12, 12:25
I'm interested in the Black Forest, Alsace, Swabian, Swiss region right now. I hear a lot about Italy and Provence/Languedoc relations but I also see areas like Alsace and Switzerland have comparable levels of haplogroup T, R1b-U152, E, G, J2, etc with at least Northern Italy. I also know that women migrated more than men due to family inheritance so womens genes would not show up in yDNA research.

Was there migration between Italy and Swabia/Alsace/Switzerland? What connections did these two places have? I know in Roman times wine was a very big industry there in Alsace for Rome but I'm curious about this region because Switzerland and Alsace regions aren't discussed very often here.

zanipolo
25-12-12, 21:54
I'm interested in the Black Forest, Alsace, Swabian, Swiss region right now. I hear a lot about Italy and Provence/Languedoc relations but I also see areas like Alsace and Switzerland have comparable levels of haplogroup T, R1b-U152, E, G, J2, etc with at least Northern Italy. I also know that women migrated more than men due to family inheritance so womens genes would not show up in yDNA research.

Was there migration between Italy and Swabia/Alsace/Switzerland? What connections did these two places have? I know in Roman times wine was a very big industry there in Alsace for Rome but I'm curious about this region because Switzerland and Alsace regions aren't discussed very often here.

yes there was migration, a lot ,

there is also ancient L and N3 as well as what you mentioned in tyrol alpine areas

this link will help you
http://tigen.tirolensis.info/wiki/Tyrolean_DNA_admixture_and_genetic_structure

Giordano57
27-12-12, 15:03
yes there was migration, a lot ,

there is also ancient L and N3 as well as what you mentioned in tyrol alpine areas

this link will help you

I see Tyrol is in Austria, which is a fair distance from Alsace. What about further west. Was there a relationship/migrations between Italy and the Alsace/northwestern Swiss region?

Selwyn Greenfrith
19-01-13, 16:26
I see Tyrol is in Austria, which is a fair distance from Alsace. What about further west. Was there a relationship/migrations between Italy and the Alsace/northwestern Swiss region?

Must of - Switzerland and Elsass share a border and language.

Diviacus
25-01-13, 09:13
As far as I know, there are no large migrations known by historians between the 2 areas. However, we may suppose there have been some Celts coming from Switzerland or Alsace (at least some groups of people) in North of Italy in the early Iron Age : at least one (Helico), as Livy said :wary2:, but later on.
On the other side, there are proofs of artefacts coming from Italy (Etruscan or from the Golasecca culture) in Switzerland and Alsace.