Economy Why the Greek economy is doomed in the long run

Coriolan

Elite member
Reaction score
The Greeks are constant source of fascination and bewilderment for the Swiss. They are everything the Swiss are not: passionate, flashy, disorganised, uninhibited, provocative, liking big displays of emotions. Reading the Xenophobe's Guide to the Greeks, it suddenly made sense to me why the Greece accumulated such a huge public debt and why the Greeks aren't going to do anything about it. These passages were taken from pages 18-19 and 15-16.

"The modern Greek's dearest dream is to male lots of money easily (preferably without lifting a finger), but it would never occur to him to hoard his wealth. [...] The Greeks want to have money in order to spend it as ostentatiously as possible - eating out, expensive cars, flashy (genuine) jewellery, designer clothes, fur coats, a house in the country and basketfuls of flowers to throw to the performers at the nightspots they patronise. All the rest - a successful career, a good marriage, a family - come second. It is not surprising that household borrowing is one of the highest in the world."

"The phrase: 'Forget it, brother! I am not going to stick my neck out in order to save the Roman nation' is quite common and denotes the supreme unwillingness of the majority of Greek to show an active interest in anything that lies outside their immediate circle or will not benefit them personally. Yet their schizoid nature also leads them to stage violent demonstrations or come out on strike - ruinous to the country's economy - at the drop of a hat."

This was written by a Greek author.

The Greeks are constant source of fascination and bewilderment for the Swiss. They are everything the Swiss are not: passionate, flashy, disorganised, uninhibited, provocative, liking big displays of emotions. Reading the Xenophobe's Guide to the Greeks, it suddenly made sense to me why the Greece accumulated such a huge public debt and why the Greeks aren't going to do anything about it. These passages were taken from pages 18-19 and 15-16.

"The modern Greek's dearest dream is to male lots of money easily (preferably without lifting a finger), but it would never occur to him to hoard his wealth. [...] The Greeks want to have money in order to spend it as ostentatiously as possible - eating out, expensive cars, flashy (genuine) jewellery, designer clothes, fur coats, a house in the country and basketfuls of flowers to throw to the performers at the nightspots they patronise. All the rest - a successful career, a good marriage, a family - come second. It is not surprising that household borrowing is one of the highest in the world."

"The phrase: 'Forget it, brother! I am not going to stick my neck out in order to save the Roman nation' is quite common and denotes the supreme unwillingness of the majority of Greek to show an active interest in anything that lies outside their immediate circle or will not benefit them personally. Yet their schizoid nature also leads them to stage violent demonstrations or come out on strike - ruinous to the country's economy - at the drop of a hat."

This was written by a Greek author.

I leave to read the following article quite enlightening about the uncertain Greek situation.

Yes that is it. Please inform the IMF and the EU about it so that they stop lending money to us. Don't forget to reference the source of your enlightenment. I.e. The Xenophobe's Guide to the Greeks by Alexandra Fiada.

Further in the book:

"All right," a high-standing E.U. official said to his Greek counterpart during the 2010 financial crises, "we admit that you Greeks have given the Western world almost everything we are proud of. Democracy, philosophy, sciences, art - you name it, have their origins in ancient Greece. We admit it and are thankful for it. The question is: what have you produced since then? What are you contributing now to the world at large?"
The Greek did not even bat an eyelid: "Don't you think", he said, "that after all that effort we deserve a well-earned rest - not to mention that you owe us big time and that you should start paying the bill?"

That's the kind of mentality I can't stand! And that a high-ranking politician, not the common man in the street, should dare speak like that! If this attitude is representative of the Greek mainstream, as the author is claiming, then there is no need to wonder why the Greek economy is in trouble. They should never have joined the EU in the first place. Frankly, who deserves a rest for their ancestors achievements ?

The Greeks of today are quick to take the credit for the achievements of ancient Greeks, but is that even logical ? A lot of ancient Greeks lived in what is Turkey, Italy, Bulgaria, or even Ukraine. Why would modern Greeks think of Archimedes as one of theirs, when he was from Sicily ? His relatives or descendants would now be Italian, not Greek. Herodotus was from Anatolia, Democritus came from Bulgaria, and so on. If the ancient nationality or language is enough to claim someone as "ours" then all citizens of the Roman Empire should be thought as Italian, and Gandhi was British, not Indian. That's ridiculous.

Further in the book:

"All right," a high-standing E.U. official said to his Greek counterpart during the 2010 financial crises, "we admit that you Greeks have given the Western world almost everything we are proud of. Democracy, philosophy, sciences, art - you name it, have their origins in ancient Greece. We admit it and are thankful for it. The question is: what have you produced since then? What are you contributing now to the world at large?"
The Greek did not even bat an eyelid: "Don't you think", he said, "that after all that effort we deserve a well-earned rest - not to mention that you owe us big time and that you should start paying the bill?"

That's the kind of mentality I can't stand! And that a high-ranking politician, not the common man in the street, should dare speak like that! If this attitude is representative of the Greek mainstream, as the author is claiming, then there is no need to wonder why the Greek economy is in trouble. They should never have joined the EU in the first place. Frankly, who deserves a rest for their ancestors achievements ?

The Greeks of today are quick to take the credit for the achievements of ancient Greeks, but is that even logical ? A lot of ancient Greeks lived in what is Turkey, Italy, Bulgaria, or even Ukraine. Why would modern Greeks think of Archimedes as one of theirs, when he was from Sicily ? His relatives or descendants would now be Italian, not Greek. Herodotus was from Anatolia, Democritus came from Bulgaria, and so on. If the ancient nationality or language is enough to claim someone as "ours" then all citizens of the Roman Empire should be thought as Italian, and Gandhi was British, not Indian. That's ridiculous.

No doubt such thinking is unacceptable an is much more, undoubtedly, in top-heavy politicians.
A study of the extent to which that kind of mentality rooted in the core of a society can decisively influence in social-financial performance collective, this will be quite interesant.

Further in the book:

hmm

1rst by using swiss flag does not honors you.
2nd, i don't know what an author say, and what was his purpose,
3rd Archimedes, search his life biography etc, and then ask your shelf whay that area was named not Greece but Great Grecce - Magna-grecia, and finally ask informations about the travel of anti-Kythera mechanism,

PS why some guys use another flag, when want to express your Hysterical political empathy?i

n your first post you say Greeks are schizo,
well and even if I was not, I will be, by your full ilum to the case posts
remember that courts are about to begin, sending ministers and rest to judge, but how you explain the Troika directives,
raise taxes to atract developement and founds? does that has logic to you?
and you are right day by day Greeks are becoming more schizo, so beware of them, 'they are dangerous' so leave them, before they 'bite' you.
If you were swiss you will be glad for Greek crisis,
cause after Germany then swiss earned a lot from that, besides was the 2nd country that took greek money deposits (Langarde List-HSBC case) with 3rd UK and 4rth France

The Greeks of today are quick to take the credit for the achievements of ancient Greeks, but is that even logical ? A lot of ancient Greeks lived in what is Turkey, Italy, Bulgaria, or even Ukraine.Why would modern Greeks think of Archimedes as one of theirs, when he was from Sicily ? His relatives or descendants would now be Italian, not Greek. Herodotus was from Anatolia, Democritus came from Bulgaria, and so on. If the ancient nationality or language is enough to claim someone as "ours" then all citizens of the Roman Empire should be thought as Italian, and Gandhi was British, not Indian. That's ridiculous.

When the state of Greece was forged in the 19th century, many Greeks from those above mentioned regions migrated to Greece. That's not to say that many Ancient Greeks are now absorbed into the gene pools of other nations.

As for your 'Archimedes being an Italian' analogy. Well, he was a descendant of Greeks who migrated to Italy. And South Italians are also descendants of Ancient Greeks. It is no miracle that South Italians and modern Greeks are genetically closely related. So, South Italians as well as modern Greeks are probably related to Archimedes. I don't think Greeks would have any objections if South Italians considered Archimedes to be part of their heritage as well. In any case, I can't see why Greeks should not lay claim on Archimedes or any other Greek from their diaspora.

As for the economy, I won't even comment on your funny remarks.

This thread has been viewed 8551 times.

Back