A correspondance i found comparing Albanian, Ancient Greek and Latin

8mike

Reaction score
SORRY FOR THE FORMAT GUYS, BUT IT KEEPS COMPACTING THE TEXT IF I DONT DO SO, I DONT KNOW WHY. Hello everybody. I was thinking about a correspondance i found which lead me to a "rule" i established that can reconstruct primitive Albanian words. The inspiration came from the word "diell" meaning sun. The etymologies proposed are those:
derivative of the PIE word for "yellow" *ghel-
derivative of PIE *suel "sun"
compared to Old Irish "dellrad" meaning "to shine".
I tried to compare it, as it has been done a lot of times, with A. Greek "helios" and Latin "sol" (keep in mind that i limited my analysis on those 3 languages and i will later consider the other IE languages).
G: helios L: sol A: *delwa -> *djell -> diell
what i imagined here is that words starting with he/so correspond to words starting in de in primitive albanian. This sound /de/ evolves (according to my analysis) in this way: de -> dje -> zje -> gje.Let's see another example with the word "sweat"
G: hudor -> hidros L: sudor A: *dedor -> *djeder -> (methatesys) *djerde -> djerse
"late" "until" "early" G: heri L: sera A: deri (still exists) -> *djeri -> *zjeri -> gjeri (now in geg dialect)
drink G: *herbeo -> (methatesys) *rhepheo -> rhopeo L: sorbeo A: *derb -> *djerb -> *zjerb -> gjerb
salt G: hals L: sals A: *del -> *djel -> *zjel -> gjel
serpent G: herpo L: serpo A: *derpo -> *djerpo -> *zjerpo -> gjerpo
soil, swamp G: helos L: solum A: *dol -> *djol -> *zjol -> gjol
day G: hemar (Omeric) A: *demar -> *djemar -> zjemar (mid-day) maybe changed into zemer under the influence of the word for "heart"
wave G: huphe A: *depe -> djepe (cradle)
This leads me is to think that since /d/ is preserved in south Albania, /h/ in Ancient Greek and /s/ in Latin then in the space between South Albania and Greece (the old Epirus) this sound correspinded to /th/. This is still preserved in some words:
G: thallo A: dal
G: thermos L: formo A: *derm -> *djerm -> zjerm
G: thura L: foro A: dera (plural "dyer" under the influence of the word "two")
I think that the different forms that were conserved in Greek (since Omeric times) and Albanian were the form which got greater influence. For example, the words in /th/ that had more influence substituted the words in /h/ and hence, influenced Latin too. In fact /th/ can turn in /s/ but also in /f/.But lets get back to Albanian. The /d/ form is always preserved in south and the forms in /dj/ /zj/ and /gj/ are found going north. We can see that the "northest" sound is /gj/ and it can it relates with the sound /gw/ found in Central Europe. I will try to apply this to the word "fire"/"burn"
G: *thegwra -> *thebra -> tephra L: *fogweo -> foveo A: *degw -> djeg
Now i don't think this is anything correct because i have not considered the languages outside and this (if it makes any sense) should be extended to determine why Sanskrit has /s/ or /d/ in correspondance of those words. One last thing i considered was this:
*deep G: *thala -> thalassa L: *fela -> felle (not present in latin anymore but in northern Albanianian dialect as a reborrowing, meaning "deep") A: (lost and substituted with the "Epirean" form with /th/)
working in the same way as (deep) *dheub -> *deubet -> det (sea)
All this can make sense because of the mixed forms you find in the zone starting from Kosovo to the bottom of Greece. For example we can find all those forms meaning "me"
une, unte, unk, eokh, eah, iah, io, hion, hionga, heoga, ego, egoge
All those forms are attested in different periods but you can clearly see the blending and, what is left today are just 2 of the numerous forms.I hope you will consider reading it and i don't want any harsh debate to start regarding nationalism as it always happens in threads like this.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 4122 times.

Back