Need help, Very confused

wormhole

Banned
Reaction score
About 2 months ago, I received my Y-DNA 37 marker test back from FamilyTree DNA. I was shocked at what I found. I suspected that I would be R1b, but no, it wasn't R1b. I'm fine with that though. Could it have been J2? Surely, with it being Italy's 2nd most dominant haplogroup right? Nope. What I received was J1 (M-267). I am fully Italian on my fathers side with his father having grown up in a town beside the Adriatic in the Marche region. How is it possible that I am J1 when the % of Italians with this is so small. Was this an error on the part of FTDNA? Could I provide any other information that may be of use in you helping me? Thanks.

About 2 months ago, I received my Y-DNA 37 marker test back from FamilyTree DNA. I was shocked at what I found. I suspected that I would be R1b, but no, it wasn't R1b. I'm fine with that though. Could it have been J2? Surely, with it being Italy's 2nd most dominant haplogroup right? Nope. What I received was J1 (M-267). I am fully Italian on my fathers side with his father having grown up in a town beside the Adriatic in the Marche region. How is it possible that I am J1 when the % of Italians with this is so small. Was this an error on the part of FTDNA? Could I provide any other information that may be of use in you helping me? Thanks.
try this as a predictor...its accurate http://predictor.ydna.ru/ or this , less accurate http://www.hprg.com/hapest5/hapest5a/hapest5.htm did they ask you to join a project team? write to the guy in this link, he will help http://www.familytreedna.com/public/italy or use the map in th elink, all J1 are from Umbria to sicily

I'm not sure what the issue is. Italy has one of the highest J1 rates in Europe. It is certainly well represented in the J1 sections at the J Project, which you should probably join if you're interested in seeing who you cluster best with and if there are any SNP tests you should take: http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Y-DNA_J/

I'm not sure what the issue is. Italy has one of the highest J1 rates in Europe. It is certainly well represented in the J1 sections at the J Project, which you should probably join if you're interested in seeing who you cluster best with and if there are any SNP tests you should take: http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Y-DNA_J/
Because, to my knowledge I'm certainly not Yemenese or Saudi Arabian. Perhaps 23andme would better help explain this.

J1 in Europe, I was thinking Jewish. You may be related paternally to Aaron. Be happy about it!

J1 in Europe is mostly of Neolithic origin. Have you checked this page yet ?

The Adriatic coast of Italy is also a hotspot for J1 in Europe, especially the southern Marche and Abruzzo.

It would be useful to know your subclade, but the chances are that it is not the Jewish or Arabic J1-P58.

Maybe I can send you my results and you can help me? I have my Y-STR table ready to copy and paste.

Even if it is the P-58. How would this explain me being Italian? Were my ancestors Semitic Saudis who long long ago migrated to Italy? The level of confusion right now is really high. In this link: http://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_J1_Y-DNA.shtml

In the comments, people are commenting about how they are Scottish and irish, yet got the P-58 haplogroup. Were they once Saudi Arabians as well?

Wormhole, think of the Roman Empire as being the United States of the ancient world. Romans had massive trade, massive armies, and massive population movements. It was a hodgepodge of tribes that mixed more and more as cities grew in size. Plus, pretty much all of the ancient peoples travelled alot more than we give them credit for... I thought I was solidly Northern European but when I got results from DNA Tribes it turns out one of my top 20 city matches is Barcelona. I'm also 3% Levite and 2% from India. I even have a bit of Polynesian somehow. Simply put, our ancestors got around.

J1 is an honorable tribe--read more about them. You'll see.

Wormhole, think of the Roman Empire as being the United States of the ancient world. Romans had massive trade, massive armies, and massive population movements. It was a hodgepodge of tribes that mixed more and more as cities grew in size. Plus, pretty much all of the ancient peoples travelled alot more than we give them credit for... I thought I was solidly Northern European but when I got results from DNA Tribes it turns out one of my top 20 city matches is Barcelona. I'm also 3% Levite and 2% from India. I even have a bit of Polynesian somehow. Simply put, our ancestors got around.

J1 is an honorable tribe--read more about them. You'll see.
It's not so much that. I genuenly think that this is a mistake. Especially if I turn out with the Semetic P-58 Sub-clade. I don't know of any Saudi Arabians or Yemeni's in my family at all. Explain how an Irishman could get the J1c3d P-58 subclade? Apparently it happens.

Many of us are a six pack away from mixing y/mtd haplogroups (or a couple snifters of Brandy, or three cups of mead, etc., etc.)

What if you are a J1 male that comes from a long line of J1 males that have had a thing for Irish women? And apparently your ancestors were successful at pursuing the lassies... Can hardly blame them for having a thing for Irish women.

Many of us are a six pack away from mixing y/mtd haplogroups (or a couple snifters of Brandy, or three cups of mead, etc., etc.)

What if you are a J1 male that comes from a long line of J1 males that have had a thing for Irish women? And apparently your ancestors were successful at pursuing the lassies... Can hardly blame them for having a thing for Irish women.

So that J1 male would be Irish to begin with? I don't see what you're getting at.

J1c3d P-58 is arabic/semitic. It could be neolithic farmers. Other possible sources are: turks, moors, saracens. Could also be jewish, a lot of jewish lineages have assimilated into european lineages during the middle ages and later (inquisition, discriminative laws etc). Either way it could be so watered down that it doesn't mean much, autosomal is more meaningful.

J1c3d P-58 is arabic/semitic. It could be neolithic farmers. Other possible sources are: turks, moors, saracens. Could also be jewish, a lot of jewish lineages have assimilated into european lineages during the middle ages and later (inquisition, discriminative laws etc). Either way it could be so watered down that it doesn't mean much, autosomal is more meaningful.
Maybe Turks or Jews. I doubt it's from Moors or Saracens which are actually the same thing.

Does 23andme ofter autosomal testing?

Kamani is correct, autosomal has much more impact on gene expression than y-haplogroup. Paternal haplogroupings make up something like 2% of your entire DNA signature. For example, I've seen a carrier of y-DNA group "O" (mainly associated with east asians) who appeared almost fully African American. You can use the J1 to trace your paternal ancestors journey through time.

Kamani is correct, autosomal has much more impact on gene expression than y-haplogroup. Paternal haplogroupings make up something like 2% of your entire DNA signature. For example, I've seen a carrier of y-DNA group "O" (mainly associated with east asians) who appeared almost fully African American. You can use the J1 to trace your paternal ancestors journey through time.
I'd like to go on record here and say that I look "white/Caucasoid". You wouldn't guess me as anything else. I don't look Asian and I'm certainly not Black. I'm pale as a ghost. Occasionally, people may make a Jew reference because of the hair which is course but curly like a Jewfro. It's a wavy/curly instead of wooly which is what Negroids have. I've gotten everything from Irish/English to Italian/Portuguese to Jewish jokes. Jews are white anyhow and rightfully so. I don't really look like your typical Yemeni or Saudi Arabian whom have heavy Negroid admixture.

This thread has been viewed 9264 times.

Back