Why no mtDna maps?

Finalise

Banned
Reaction score
I know there's autosomal maps, and y-frequency maps (which are a bit useless imo), but nevertheless why is there no frequency of mtdna maps?

Y-frequency maps alone, are almost useless, coupled with mtDna maps they might give more insight.

I agree. I have read from Maciamo previously that mt-Haplogroups are not very informative for migrations in Europe, but still would be interesting to have some maps.

You can find mtDNA maps by googling Migration maps of mtDNA. There are lots of them.

Yes, migration maps. But Finalise wanted frequency maps, I so would I.

If they could be provided on Eupedia some day , that would be like a blessing from god, good approximations for some more difficult groups (I, mtdna W) with corrections being brought over time, would be awesome! : )

I would like to see anything on my new one. One company said U5b1 now with a new test at a different company they are saying U5b1h. No clue yet all I really know is few have tested this way and one is from Norway and one from Ireland. Both oldest direct maternal go back to about 1750 for one and 1850 for the other.

Because when you look at mtdna frequency maps then most of the lame migration theories fall apart.

Because when you look at mtdna frequency maps then most of the lame migration theories fall apart.

Yeah, that's why most of the scientists on genetics haven't even made one. They're not that kind of persons who like to break invalid theories. Not at all... Don't mind, it was a nice one!

Well it's funny you never hear about migrations of mtDNA. The reason why is it points out the lie. Of course male dna moves around more but if you are talking about real migrations it ought to show some signs of that too, if big migrations are happening. But just like the ones you point to they all seem to center on a couple fixed locations and that's it.

Well it's funny you never hear about migrations of mtDNA. The reason why is it points out the lie. Of course male dna moves around more but if you are talking about real migrations it ought to show some signs of that too, if big migrations are happening. But just like the ones you point to they all seem to center on a couple fixed locations and that's it.

It isn't just that "male dna moves around more," it's also that it has a higher extinction rate within stationary populations. That has a lot to do with powerful men being able to monopolize the gene pool in a way that women cannot. As a result, population bottlenecks and genetic drift may reduce a male lineage down to one recent representative in a given region, while preserving a dozen comparable female lineages. The result is a much fleshier tree for mtDNA than Y-DNA. Combine that with the fact that few studies have tested deep mtDNA clades, and that there is no such thing as mtDNA STRs, and it becomes too difficult to infer as much from the data. Even if female lineages moved around exactly as much as male lineages, this would be the case.

Up till now we used our history knowledge to identify Y-DNA.
In the future Y-DNA will help us resolve historic events.

It isn't just that "male dna moves around more," it's also that it has a higher extinction rate within stationary populations. That has a lot to do with powerful men being able to monopolize the gene pool in a way that women cannot. As a result, population bottlenecks and genetic drift may reduce a male lineage down to one recent representative in a given region, while preserving a dozen comparable female lineages. The result is a much fleshier tree for mtDNA than Y-DNA. Combine that with the fact that few studies have tested deep mtDNA clades, and that there is no such thing as mtDNA STRs, and it becomes too difficult to infer as much from the data. Even if female lineages moved around exactly as much as male lineages, this would be the case.

I think you just said the same thing as me with a different conclusion.

I don't think there are any tribes with no females who were full of only brothers. Pretty sure the celts were very female-centric as the hunter gatherers had always been. Meaning they would have brought all their women with them on any moves. This implies the spread of r1b was about a tenth as fast as some would claim since there's just no evidence of mass migrations of mtdna.

So yes if someone managed to rape every woman in europe we know it's possible but that goes against what we know about their society. It was a matriarchial society where women selected who to have sex with and did so freely and everyone took care of the kids equally. Which is pretty much the opposite of the brutal rape spree that's implied by a fast migration with no mtdna at all brought along.

And that was the norm, not the exception, for other tribes. Patriarchy comes with brick and mortar society. Sabine rape is the only case we know of the opposite.

So yes if someone managed to rape every woman in europe we know it's possible but that goes against what we know about their society.

It may have been consensual? :) Quality R1b DNA like:

bono-vox+%u002525281%2529.jpg

I'm having a hard time finding where I read it, but I believe the X-chromosome from a father, and an X-Chromosome from a mother can recombine and mirror one another. In a female offspring with an X from dad and an X from mom would it be possible that the X from mom recombines with dad or mirrors dad to produce something that looks like a different mtDNA haplogroup than moms?

I've also read (somewhere, I'll try and find it) that mtDNA is not a good predictor for population movements because of it's fast mutation rate, and ability to recombine. yDNA is more stable, mutates slower and doesn't recombine, except in rare occasions like male XX syndrome.

I'm having a hard time finding where I read it, but I believe the X-chromosome from a father, and an X-Chromosome from a mother can recombine and mirror one another. In a female offspring with an X from dad and an X from mom would it be possible that the X from mom recombines with dad or mirrors dad to produce something that looks like a different mtDNA haplogroup than moms?

I've also read (somewhere, I'll try and find it) that mtDNA is not a good predictor for population movements because of it's fast mutation rate, and ability to recombine. yDNA is more stable, mutates slower and doesn't recombine, except in rare occasions like male XX syndrome.
Little correction though. MtDNA it is an extra DNA contained in Mitochondria (mt) and not in cell nucleus together with 23 chromosomes. It never recombines with fathers DNA.

Never say never, lol. I read up on mtDNA on wiki and there was one reported male where the male form of mtDNA made it in during fertilization. I guess it is really rare. The sperm tail holds the mtDNA, but is usually destroyed upon fertilization.

The x chromosone from a father? ..........clear this up for me.
X comes only from the maternal line, that is the maternal lines of males and females of you mother...none of your paternal line is present in X

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hulseberg/DNA/x inheritance man 6 gen.pdf

This thread has been viewed 16187 times.

Back