Help for know my origins.

LorisThePancake

Reaction score
Hi ! I've find this forum a long time ago.
Now, i've decided to have some help in this subject .

I'd like to know my ethnics origins group !

I've informations :

My name is "Girard" . I'm From northern french alps ( "Savoie/ Haute-savoie") -> My ancestors have family name how are finded just in this zone.

My blood group is A Negative (A-)

My ancestors had 1/2 blue/green/grey eyes, and 1/2 brow eyes. I've Brown eyes and when I was little I had blond hair, and now I've light chestnut hair.

I've actually just these ...

If you can make hypothesis of my ancestors ethnics belonging, thank you .

Thank you really to help me ;) !

I've informations :

My name is "Girard" . I'm From northern french alps ( "Savoie/ Haute-savoie") -> My ancestors have family name how are finded just in this zone.

My ancestors had 1/2 blue/green/grey eyes, and 1/2 brow eyes. I've Brown eyes and when I was little I had blond hair, and now I've light chestnut hair.

Hullo there, the name: Girard minds me of Giuseppe Garibaldi http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_irredentism_in_Savoy

I've informations :

Don't worry that phenomena are common in Brown (chestnut) people,
I was also born light brown to almost golden blond, I turn to brown later and 12 years old again I was again almost blond,
Now I am dark brown, but in summer skin gets darker but hair go lighter.
seems like brown people get darker whith age, hormonic levels, and less sun exposure
a big % in Northern Greece say the same story

For the rest I can not help you.

I Really don't think that I have Italian origins because :
1) I said my ancestors family names are just found on "Haute-savoie" and a little bit on "Savoie" .
2) I found that my family name is germanic, no ?
3) I was on Italy a time during holidays and they don't look like me... I think !

My blood group is A neg. . Is this mean an ethnic thing ?

Another thing ?

Thank you you two !!! ;) I'm happy to find that you are nice !!!

I Really don't think that I have Italian origins because :
1) I said my ancestors family names are just found on "Haute-savoie" and a little bit on "Savoie" .
2) I found that my family name is germanic, no ?
3) I was on Italy a time during holidays and they don't look like me... I think !

My blood group is A neg. . Is this mean an ethnic thing ?

Another thing ?

Thank you you two !!! ;) I'm happy to find that you are nice !!!

Hullo there again, what do you mean when you sight 'Italians don't look like you' (?)...What bit of Italy did you holiday in - did you holiday over the border in the Italian and Swiss-Italian Alps or somewhere further afield (?) The lastname: Garibaldi is Germanic too, no?

I reckon your lastname: Girard has kindred alikemates in Italy and Switzerland (Italian speaking) but spelt a little sundred.

In Roma ! They are a little bit darker, and currently with curly hair ... South European type !
If my family name is Germanic, that mean I've Germanic (the germanic ethnic group) in my origins ?
What else ?
Do you think I may have celtic, or also ... Latin ?
Do you think too it's possible that y could have Burgundian originis, or Allobrogian ? Because they were in Savoie !
I don't understand : "I reckon your lastname: Girard has kindred alikemates in Italy and Switzerland (Italian speaking) but spelt a little sundred."

In Roma ! They are a little bit darker, and currently with curly hair ... South European type !
If my family name is Germanic, that mean I've Germanic (the germanic ethnic group) in my origins ?
What else ?
Do you think I may have celtic, or also ... Latin ?
Do you think too it's possible that y could have Burgundian originis, or Allobrogian ? Because they were in Savoie !
I don't understand : "I reckon your lastname: Girard has kindred alikemates in Italy and Switzerland (Italian speaking) but spelt a little sundred."

I meant the lastname: Girard is most likely also to be found as a lastname in Italy and Switzerland but spelt slightly asunder as in: Girardi

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sunder

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/kindred

I believe your impression of appearance of Europeans outside your region is a bit muddled. What do you mean Italians in Rome are darker skin from you and have curly hair (i.e. south European??)!. I live in the southernmost part of Europe (Cyprus) and there are blond people here who have local ancestry tracing back for millenia. Furthermore, in southern European countries like Greece and Spain the majority of people are light-skinned not dark-skinned (this does not apply to hair colour however).

There is a very simple solution to your query. Just do a genetic genealogy test for your Y-DNA and mtDNA from Family Tree DNA or the Genographic Project, or any other provider.

Alexandros is correct! Probably the best thing you can do is y-DNA test and especially the deep clade tests for your SNP's. My blood type is A NEGATIVE as well and what I have found out is the Basques are the 2nd highest group for negative.

The highest incidence of negative blood is the Blackfoot Native Americans. Blood type will not help you much with finding your ethnic origins but it may give you a clue.

I have a lot of matches on ysearch.org in the area of the French and Swiss Alps and my haplogroup is R1b L2, Z49 and Z142+ with French ancestry from Correze and possibly Ionian Greek (Cyprus, Crete, Greece) before that.

Happy hunting,
Curtis Pigman(Pigmon,Pygmon,Pimond)

I've informations :

There are 8 entries in ysearch for the Gerard surname. They originated from Alsace, France and Azay-le-Rideau, France as well as Belgium; Quebec, Canada and unknown, France and a couple of unknown.

There are 8 entries in ysearch for the Gerard surname. They originated from Alsace, France and Azay-le-Rideau, France as well as Belgium; Quebec, Canada and unknown, France and a couple of unknown.

Have you checked Italian records yet?

There is a word in northern Italian called pije which means to take, there is another word pie to stand.

The J letter is used in northern italian languages but was converted to G in Italian language, because there is no J in the Italian alphabet.

There is also a famous venetian mariner who crewed with magellan and wrote the accounts of magellan voyage, he is Antonio Pigafetta.
Out of this name arouse these names..Pigna Pignatelli Pignone

In venetian we have
pigno = cypress tree/pine tree
pigot =woodpecker
pigrafe = inscription
pignera = pinetree
pignater = potter
pignata = pot
pigna = stingy
or pinecone

A really good site is YSearch.org, it is a site with a thousands of surnames, and haplogroups to go along with them, if there has been a test done on someone with this surname. Unfortunately, the site is down for the time being due to "aggressive data mining", but keep it in the back of your head, so when its up and running you can check for your surname. I remember seeing a Girard on the site and i believe his group was either J2 or R1b.

Have you checked Italian records yet?

There is a word in northern Italian called pije which means to take, there is another word pie to stand.

The J letter is used in northern italian languages but was converted to G in Italian language, because there is no J in the Italian alphabet.

There is also a famous venetian mariner who crewed with magellan and wrote the accounts of magellan voyage, he is Antonio Pigafetta.
Out of this name arouse these names..Pigna Pignatelli Pignone

In venetian we have
pigno = cypress tree/pine tree
pigot =woodpecker
pigrafe = inscription
pignera = pinetree
pignater = potter
pignata = pot
pigna = stingy
or pinecone

Indeed I have seen Pijemon(to take the mountain). I did not know the j was converted to g in Northern Italian languages. I always thought there was a reason.
In the original French records in Correze the Pigmon family has a record of Jean Piemond Father of Leonarde Pigmon. Sometimes it is written as Pÿmond with double dots over the y indicating letters that were previously written but now assumed.

Maybe the French(or Greek?) was converted to Italian when Chambery was the capital of the Piedmone and then back to French where the g was dropped as in: Pinerolo (French: Pignerol) is a town and comune in north-western Italy, 40 kilometres southwest of Turin on the river Chisone.

I have found these geneanet records of Pigmon:
gbkcgddec 1PIGMONdeces1789 - 1789Chapelle de Surieu (la)Isère, Rhône-Alpes, France
gbkcorrezemar 1PIGMONmariage1715 - 1715Saint-Priest-de-GimelCorrèze, Limousin, France
gbkcorrezemar 1PIGMONmariage1718 - 1718Saint-Priest-de-GimelCorrèze, Limousin, France
and these from Genealogie:

Pigmon Pierre Charles François

etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png

Date : entre 1800 et 1825,
Nord

Type d'Acte : Mariage non filiatif
Rôle de l'individu : information disponible Conjoint : Lysensoone E.
Source : Relevés d'Etat-Civil - Nord
Pigmon Lucien Sévère
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png

Date : entre 1900 et 1925,
Dunkerque

Source : Conscrits militaires du Nord (1865-1932)

PIGMON Léonarde
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png

Date : entre 1700 et 1725,
Corrèze

Type d'Acte : Mariage filiatif
Rôle de l'individu : information disponible Conjoint : FEY M.
Source : Relevés d'Etat-Civil - Corrèze

PIGMON Léonarde
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png

Corrèze

Thanks for your input,
Curtis Pigman (France - Pigmon / Greece - Pygmon)

Indeed I have seen Pijemon(to take the mountain). I did not know the j was converted to g in Northern Italian languages. I always thought there was a reason.
In the original French records in Correze the Pigmon family has a record of Jean Piemond Father of Leonarde Pigmon. Sometimes it is written as Pÿmond with double dots over the y indicating letters that were previously written but now assumed.

Maybe the French(or Greek?) was converted to Italian when Chambery was the capital of the Piedmone and then back to French where the g was dropped as in: Pinerolo (French: Pignerol) is a town and comune in north-western Italy, 40 kilometres southwest of Turin on the river Chisone.

I have found these geneanet records of Pigmon:
gbkcgddec 1PIGMONdeces1789 - 1789Chapelle de Surieu (la)Isère, Rhône-Alpes, France
gbkcorrezemar 1PIGMONmariage1715 - 1715Saint-Priest-de-GimelCorrèze, Limousin, France
gbkcorrezemar 1PIGMONmariage1718 - 1718Saint-Priest-de-GimelCorrèze, Limousin, France
and these from Genealogie:

Pigmon Pierre Charles François
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png
Date : entre 1800 et 1825,
Nord
Type d'Acte : Mariage non filiatif
Rôle de l'individu : information disponible Conjoint : Lysensoone E.
Source : Relevés d'Etat-Civil - Nord
Pigmon Lucien Sévère
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png
Date : entre 1900 et 1925,
Dunkerque
Source : Conscrits militaires du Nord (1865-1932)

PIGMON Léonarde
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png
Corrèze
Source : Relevés d'Etat-Civil - Corrèze

PIGMON Léonarde
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png
etoile-pleine.png
Corrèze
Thanks for your input,
Curtis Pigman (France - Pigmon / Greece - Pygmon)

I meant that in the Northern Italian regions J is still used ONLY, in the Italian language it was sometimes converted to G ...as an example, the male name Juliano is in north Italy and it was converted to Giuliano in Italian.

Since the savoy line is the monarchy of Italy although it has french origins, the capital of the savoys Chambery was moved to Turin to establish their "Italian" line ( IIRC it was the 16th century). The monarchy, to further establish this foothold in Italy, would have used both northern Italian language ( piemontese) and the artificially created Italian.

I would also investigate Pigafetta as fetta means a piece of/part of ............finding a branch will lead to the core.

As per link below, Pymond could mean Piemond which equals .....standing on a mountain
The 2 dots over a letter is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaeresis_%28diacritic%29

I meant that in the Northern Italian regions J is still used ONLY, in the Italian language it was sometimes converted to G ...as an example, the male name Juliano is in north Italy and it was converted to Giuliano in Italian.

Since the savoy line is the monarchy of Italy although it has french origins, the capital of the savoys Chambery was moved to Turin to establish their "Italian" line ( IIRC it was the 16th century). The monarchy, to further establish this foothold in Italy, would have used both northern Italian language ( piemontese) and the artificially created Italian.

I would also investigate Pigafetta as fetta means a piece of/part of ............finding a branch will lead to the core.

As per link below, Pymond could mean Piemond which equals .....standing on a mountain
The 2 dots over a letter is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaeresis_%28diacritic%29

I have indeed found the record of the Leonarde Pigmon's Father spelled as Jean Piemond.

Per your quote: "Since the savoy line is the monarchy of Italy although it has french origins, the capital of the savoys Chambery was moved to Turin to establish their "Italian" line ( IIRC it was the 16th century). The monarchy, to further establish this foothold in Italy, would have used both northern Italian language ( piemontese) and the artificially created Italian."

This makes sense to me and I have not seen this reference before. I always thought the Italian and Piemontese language to French conversion must have something to do with it. Now I need to find the specific records in France. If we were Huguenots, some of us left France and went to Norfolk, England and Tilburg, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands where the name changed to Pigman and Pigmans respectively. Have had some luck in Norfolk but at that point gaining British citizenship and coming to the U.S. around 1695 it is hard to find records that old.

Thanks for your input!

This thread has been viewed 9876 times.

Back