Banned
Reaction score
Ethnic group
European Mix
Y-DNA haplogroup
I1 (M253)
mtDNA haplogroup
H
I don't know much about the more specific lines of R1b. Would one of the experts know what this means...

R1b1a2a1a1b4

One site says this is L238 and another indicates L21-M529-S145-L459 which seems like a bit of a distance both genetically and geographically. Any help is appreciated.

I don't know much about the more specific lines of R1b. Would one of the experts know what this means...

R1b1a2a1a1b4

One site says this is L238 and another indicates L21-M529-S145-L459 which seems like a bit of a distance both genetically and geographically. Any help is appreciated.

There are different nomenclatures, so it depends on where that came from. ISOGG has it as P312>L238, FTDNA has it as P312>L21. So who is saying that the haplogroup is R1b1a2a1a1b4?

Thank you Sparkey. The surname project is hosted by worldfamilies.net which seems to be connected to FTDNA. The differing nomenclatures is confusing... Am I safe to assume the worldfamilies location indicates L21?

Thank you Sparkey. The surname project is hosted by worldfamilies.net which seems to be connected to FTDNA. The differing nomenclatures is confusing... Am I safe to assume the worldfamilies location indicates L21?

Right, worldfamilies.net usually takes their data from FTDNA, and will likely be using their nomenclature. So, probably L21. I think they also allow manual entry (not sure, I've never used worldfamilies.net) so you might want to make sure that there is also an FTDNA kit number referenced for that individual.

This thread has been viewed 5632 times.

Back