i2a p.37

No, it's a Slavic Haplogroup that was a result of a sudden expansion from today Moldova.

how did it get to brittish isles

I haven't seen many I2a's from Germany. My I2a3 ancestor is one of only a few that I have found from Germany.

There is a confusion here between I2a P37+ (current ISOGG I2a1) and its descendant, I2a-Din L147.2+ (current ISOGG I2a1b3a). P37 is about 20,000 years old, and spans multiple European ethnicities. However, P37+ tends to be a rather western haplogroup (L147.2+ is the geographic outlier), so most of the branches seem to have their origin west of the core Germanic area. There might be some ancient Germanic members of the M26+ branch, although that one seems to be most ancient in SW France, or the L1286+ branch, which includes the "Western" cluster and has a good amount of diversity close to the Rhine IIRC. But even those aren't obvious like I1 and I2-M223... could well be absorption from Celtic groups, etc.

how did it get to brittish isles

Are we talking about the Disles and Isles clusters? Disles is an outlier which is difficult to say anything useful about. Isles seems to have gotten there in multiple waves starting sometime after ca. 6000 years ago, with some possibly dating to that period (tough to say... research is ongoing) and some coming as late as the Anglo-Saxons.

I haven't seen many I2a's from Germany. My I2a3 ancestor is one of only a few that I have found from Germany.

This is I2a-Western, yes?

Let's Lynn put his results here and we'll try to understand what he's talking about. I guess it is a Disles

heres my ancestory by dna str results......dys456-16,dys389-13,dys390-25,dys389ii-31,dys458-17,dys19-13,dys385a/b-12/15,dys393-13,dys391-11,dys349-11,dys635-23,dys392-11,ygatah4-12,dys437-15,dys438-10 dys448-19

what yall think

I am completely certain that you match with the Lorah family. If your last name is Lowery, that's particularly interesting, because it would seem that your family name was Anglicized to Lowery from an ancestral name shared with Lorah. Ancestry.com says that the common ancestral name is the French name "Loreau."

You're probably interested in the I2a subclade you belong to. Actually... I'm not sure. The Lorahs have apparently tested positive for I2a, and a predictor I'm using says that you belong somewhere on the Isles/Dinaric branch, possibly as an outlier to I2a-Isles-B. You may want to see what Bernie Cullen has to say. He is the first administrator listed at the I2a Project.

I am completely certain that you match with the Lorah family. If your last name is Lowery, that's particularly interesting, because it would seem that your family name was Anglicized to Lowery from an ancestral name shared with Lorah. Ancestry.com says that the common ancestral name is the French name "Loreau."

You're probably interested in the I2a subclade you belong to. Actually... I'm not sure. The Lorahs have apparently tested positive for I2a, and a predictor I'm using says that you belong somewhere on the Isles/Dinaric branch, possibly as an outlier to I2a-Isles-B. You may want to see what Bernie Cullen has to say. He is the first administrator listed at the I2a Project.
interesting,i don't really know that much about the lowery family history except I believe they came from brittish isles.

interesting,i don't really know that much about the lowery family history except I believe they came from brittish isles.

British Isles? My money is on France, probably coming to America as Huguenots. Nowadays, Loreau is a particularly common surname in the Loire-Atlantique department, which is just a couple departments north of the core historical Huguenot area of Charente-Maritime. The alternative would be that you match the Lorah family squarely by coincidence, and your family's name was always Lowery, in which case your family probably came from Northern Ireland or Scotland.

By the way, it looks like you have a very close match at the Lowery DNA Project. Look for Group 16 - Turquoise.

thanks for your help,i got 2 questions.1.what is the descption on i2a isles b,and do you thank it could be a hugonaut that went to isles and then to usa.....thanks again

all I know is the last lowey I have on my list is a George lowery 1800 south carolina

1.what is the descption on i2a isles b

It's the older, largely continental branch of the otherwise insular I2a-Isles branch. But before you do too much research on it, you should confirm what your subclade actually is with Bernie Cullen. You could be one of the rare French outliers of I2a instead.

and do you thank it could be a hugonaut that went to isles and then to usa.....thanks again

Sure, a lot of Huguenots lived as refugees in Britain before they continued on to America. Some went through the German Protestant states, as well. But they all had their origins in France.

sparkey,when do you believe the i2a isles b got to the isles?also I have written Bernie Cullen but have not got any replay yet.thanks for your help

sparkey,when do you believe the i2a isles b got to the isles?

Probably multiple migrations because it is a bit old. A nontrivial amount probably came with the Anglo-Saxon. (But your particular I2a-Isles-B sample, if that's what you are, does not look insular at all to me.)

thanks what particular tests do I need to do to figure all this stuff out....

This thread has been viewed 15013 times.

Back