gashi91

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Albanian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b1a1* M73 (R-L150)
mtDNA haplogroup
U5b2a1a-T16311C!
Hi, I just got my results from ftDNA with my mtDNA: U5b2a1a.
As for background, I am ethnic Albanian from the Republic of Kosovo. As far as I know, my grandmother is from Prekaz, close to Skenderaj. She is from a very patriotic Albanian family.

Just wonder what U5b2a1a should tell me, and how a woman that is Albanian from Kosovo belongs to this?

It is generally considered that haplogroup U5, is the oldest haplogroup in Europe, meaning that U5 entered with the first settlers of the continent. This entry corrisponds with the Aurignacian culture, which was the first Homo Sapien tool industry in Europe. Your specific clade is most common in central Europe in Poles and Czechs, I am talking about U5b2a1, as your specific clade dosent have mich info on the web. U5b2a1, most likley expanded out of an eastern European glacial refuge after the last glacial maxium, when the glaciers began to recide and Europe began to be repopulated, this happened circa 11000 to 15000 years ago.This link should satisfy your questions on U5.
www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0010285
I hope this helps.

Mesolithic MtDna

U5b2a1 has an age estimate of about 14,000 ybp and is widespread in Europe, including Russia. U5b2a1a has 51 FMS test results. It is estimated to be about 11,000 years old and is found throughout central and northern Europe. It also has a large number of samples and several named subclades. U5b2a1b has 12 FMS test results, an age estimate of about 3000 years and has samples found in Germany, England, Ireland, Poland, Czech and Russia, it seems likely that this subclade might have been present in an early Germanic tribe that subsequently spread into countries with some Germanic ancestry.

Thank you, I've been reading something of what you just wrote on the mtDNA U5 Project on ftDNA.

U5 is really spread out over most of Europe, among other regions. I see a U5b2a1a in Drenas, Gllobar and another in Finland in the U5 project on Family Tree. I'm a U5b2a2b1 with most of my recent maternal ancestry (150 years) coming from England and the Palatine in Germany, and older ancestry back 150-400 years, from Portugal, Spain, Basque region, Hungary, Austria, Poland and Lithuania. Even one from western Russia. I've had my DNA work done at Family Tree and with Genographic 2 and have a pretty good understanding of the U haplogroup history. Very interesting to say the least.

I am U5b2a1a2 and my grandmother was from Roscommon, Ireland.

I'm U5b2b my dear cousins

My father has his mtDNA from a test of his maternal uncle (mother's brother) U5b2a1a from the Ancestry.com file. I find this odd because Ancestry tests can't go down the H tree at all but has the data to get down to this level of U.

It comes from a lady who came from Vestby, Norway which is just south of Oslo.

I find this odd because Ancestry tests can't go down the H tree at all but has the data to get down to this level of U.

If Ancestry couldn't identify you as H5 then that just means they don't pay much attention to mtDNA. But something to consider is U is twice as old as H. H is estimated to be around 25ky and U 50ky. U5b2a1a is (estimated to be) about as old as H5.

Several Mesolithic Balkan HGs, one Baltic HG, and one Ukraine HG had U5b2a1a. U5b2a1a1, which could be less than 10ky, is spread out across Europe and also pops up in Iran (probably legacy of IE-ancestors). Chances are your Dad specifically has U5b2a1a1. U5b2a1a* would be a suprise. I have a premature theory with U5b2a1a1, U5b2a2a, and U5b2a2b all taking part in the same Neolithic-expansions in Central/East Europe and then all were carried to western Europe alongside WHG/EEF-admixed Steppe groups.

Hi everyone I am from Algeria with this haplogroup U5b2a1a also for U5b2a1a1 according to WeGene I wonder how it came, my theory is that he arrived from Spain of the Strait of Gibraltar in the stone age.

This thread has been viewed 13499 times.

Back