Which clade of R1b is this?

Barrister

Reaction score
Screenshot2013-04-12at41534PM_zpsca7c2ab9.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Hello, unfourtunatley I dont think there are enough markers to get a completely accurate result. I have had the same problem, I personally never tested myself but was able to track down my family patriarch and get his haplogroup, but like you his patrlineal descendent only had 37 markers tested. So I used a haplogroup predictor to see if a subclade could be arrived at. The results were far from conclusive as the predictor gave the highest percentage of a certain subclade at 24%. However I inputed your markers into the same predictor and got these percentages.
Haplogroups and probabilities are as follows:
R1b-P312=>54%
R1b-M222 =>16%
R1b-S28 =>13%
R1b-L21 =>2%
Take these results with a grain of salt, as I dont have great faith in the predictor, but maybe this will give you a better idea.

Hello, unfourtunatley I dont think there are enough markers to get a completely accurate result. I have had the same problem, I personally never tested myself but was able to track down my family patriarch and get his haplogroup, but like you his patrlineal descendent only had 37 markers tested. So I used a haplogroup predictor to see if a subclade could be arrived at. The results were far from conclusive as the predictor gave the highest percentage of a certain subclade at 24%. However I inputed your markers into the same predictor and got these percentages.
Haplogroups and probabilities are as follows:
R1b-P312=>54%
R1b-M222 =>16%
R1b-S28 =>13%
R1b-L21 =>2%
Take these results with a grain of salt, as I dont have great faith in the predictor, but maybe this will give you a better idea.

Wow, thanks so much in any case, this is more information than i expected.

Edit: How many markers would need to be tested to determine the clade?

Last edited:
Wow, thanks so much in any case, this is more information than i expected.

Edit: How many markers would need to be tested to determine the clade?
I am not to well versed in testing, so I cant be an authourity on this. From what I know, technically with 37 markers usually the company can give you a subclade, however sometimes its remains too unclear. My recommendation is to call or email the company that you had the test done on, and ask them why they couldnt give a specific subclade. If you tested at Ftdna they will probably say to get a 67 marker test done, as this will reveal more markers and help get a clearer result. Again dont go buying anything on account of what im sayin, do as much research yourself and see if the company can give you a clearer answer. Here is a link on specific Y-DNA testing info.
www.dnahaplogroups.org/ydnaHaplogroup.php?page=2&l=n&__atoken=__NONE__

Also I recommend PMing Maciamo or sparkey, they will have more info on testing than me.

I am not to well versed in testing, so I cant be an authourity on this. From what I know, technically with 37 markers usually the company can give you a subclade, however sometimes its remains too unclear. My recommendation is to call or email the company that you had the test done on, and ask them why they couldnt give a specific subclade. If you tested at Ftdna they will probably say to get a 67 marker test done, as this will reveal more markers and help get a clearer result. Again dont go buying anything on account of what im sayin, do as much research yourself and see if the company can give you a clearer answer. Here is a link on specific Y-DNA testing info.
www.dnahaplogroups.org/ydnaHaplogroup.php?page=2&l=n&__atoken=__NONE__

Also I recommend PMing Maciamo or sparkey, they will have more info on testing than me.

Okay, thanks for your help(y)

This thread has been viewed 4623 times.

Back