PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Welsh DNA linked to local villager

toyomotor
14-04-13, 02:58
I read somewhere a few years ago that researchers in Wales had linked, I think it was 3000 year old, DNA to a local villager. In fact this man was a direct descendant of the ancient skeletal remains. Has anyone else heard this? Is it true? If it is, I wonder how many other ancient DNA samples can be closely linked to people still living in the region?

Anthro-inclined
14-04-13, 03:08
I dont know about this specific case your talking about. However, they linked the Cheddar man's Mtdna to a modern villager in Cheddar. The haplogroup was U5. Heres a link
www.nytimes.com/1997/03/24/world/tracing-your-family-tree-to-cheddar-man-s-mum.html

Fire Haired
24-06-13, 05:25
I read somewhere a few years ago that researchers in Wales had linked, I think it was 3000 year old, DNA to a local villager. In fact this man was a direct descendant of the ancient skeletal remains. Has anyone else heard this? Is it true? If it is, I wonder how many other ancient DNA samples can be closely linked to people still living in the region?

I think you are confused with 3,000 year old DNA they found in Urnfield culture Germany

there where two modern day descendants around that area in Germany there where 15 Y DNA samples 13 had I2a2b, two had R1a1a1b1a and one had R1b1a2a1a2 S21/U106 they reported it as just R1a and R1b but since they made the Haplotype public a put their haplotype into Y DNa subclade predictor
world haplotype and I subclade predictor

toyomotor
11-10-13, 15:59
I think you are confused with 3,000 year old DNA they found in Urnfield culture Germany

there where two modern day descendants around that area in Germany there where 15 Y DNA samples 13 had I2a2b, two had R1a1a1b1a and one had R1b1a2a1a2 S21/U106 they reported it as just R1a and R1b but since they made the Haplotype public a put their haplotype into Y DNa subclade predictor
world haplotype and I subclade predictor

No, my recollection was that it was definitely in Wales, but I take no issue with your German placement.