Belgium's future

Michel Gilson

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Belgian/ German
I would like to get the European thought on whether Belgium as a separate nation will still exist in 2035.I have heard and read often that there seems to be some doubt concerning the existence of Belgium in the no too distant future. The thought is that Dutch Belgium would be annexed to the Netherlands and Wallonia to France. Since this is the ancestral homeland I am keenly interested in the future of Belgium. And what about Brussels(a French speaking city in the center of Dutch speaking Belgium?)

I doubt that Belgium will still exist in 2035, although I cannot see the country splitting before another decade from now.

Many scenarios are possible. Flanders will most likely want to be on its own rather than with the Dutch, with whom they are quite culturally distant, language aside.

It gets more complicated for the French and German speaking parts. At present the politicians seem to favour an alliance between Wallonia and Brussels, hence the creation of the new Wallonia-Brussels Federation. But some Brusselers would prefer to see Brussels as a European Capital District, like Washington DC. In that event, Wallonia could stay on its own (unlikely) or join France.

The small German-speaking community of Wallonia would then have the choice to join France too (after all Alsace and Lorraine have their German-speaking communities too), rejoin Germany, or join Luxembourg, what I hear is the most popular alternative because of their French-German bilingualism, and because both areas speak Franconian German dialects rather than the 'new' standardised High German.

I know that Vlaams Blok made a lot of noise in the 90s, and its now Vlaams Belang;
but what about Vlaams Belang? is it as powerful/influential as V. Blok?

I personally wouldnt mind a Europe of the Regions, governed by a mega parliament in Brussels. Most is regulated in Brussels today anyway. Regions working together for specific interests is also already happening today within the EU.
Scotland, Catalonia and Veneto all have upcoming referendums. Also Silesia in Poland has an emerging separatist/autonomy movement. Maybe one day Europe will be only Historical Regions again.

Thanks Maciamo that was most helpful.I appreciate your insights which seem most sound and well informed. My ancestors were French speaking Belgians, and our surname has a long history in the Netherlands so I am interested in all things related to the Netherlands.

I personally wouldnt mind a Europe of the Regions, governed by a mega parliament in Brussels. Most is regulated in Brussels today anyway. Regions working together for specific interests is also already happening today within the EU.
Scotland, Catalonia and Veneto all have upcoming referendums. Also Silesia in Poland has an emerging separatist/autonomy movement. Maybe one day Europe will be only Historical Regions again.
I'm sure that's the natural way and future of EU. Disintegration of big states in favour of provinces under one EU.

I see an independent Flanders in the next several years.

that would be logical, a federal EU and regions, but politicians don't think in the interests of the nation, they think for their own interest, and they'll try to create and sustain as many levels in between as they can

An independent Flanders sounds interesting. It certainly makes sense. Wallonia still annexed to France?

Belgium is prefered to stay a single unity however it seems to disintegrate into at least to entities.

This thread has been viewed 8242 times.

Back