Distribution of haplogroup J1 in Italy (Boattini et al.)

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Haplogroup J1 is found at relatively low frequencies in Europe, except in Italy and Greece. The new study by Boattini et al. provides new insight into the distribution of J1 and its subclades in Italy.

The highest concentration is found in Agrigento (12%) in southwest Sicily, most probably due to the Phoenician then Arabic influences.

Otherwise J1 is generally found at higher frequencies in the Apennines, from Bologna (7%) and Pistoia (7.5%) in the north to Campobasso (3.5%) and Benevento (8.5%) in the south, passing through Foligno (5.5%) and L'Aquila (4.5%). The same is also true for haplogroup G2a, which could mean that J1 was a minor Neolithic lineage accompanying G2a, as I have hypothesised several times in the past.

North Italy

In Cuneo, south-west Piedmont, 1 out of 30 samples are J1e (3.5%).

In Savona/Genova, central Liguria, 2 out of 50 samples are J1 (4%).

In Como, north-west Lombardy, 0 out of 41 samples are J1 (0%).

In Brescia, north-east Lombardy, 0 out of 39 samples are J1 (0%).

In Vicenza, central-west Veneto, 1 out of 40 samples are J1 (2.5%).

In Treviso, central-east Veneto, 0 out of 30 samples are J1 (0%).

In Bologna, central Emilia-Romagna, 2 out of 29 samples J1e (7%).

Central Italy

In La Spezia-Massa, north-west Tuscany, 0 out of 24 samples are J1 (0%).

In Pistoia, central-north Tuscany, 1 out of 13 samples are J1e (7.5%).

In Grosetto-Siena, southern Tuscany, 3 out of 86 samples are J1 (3.5%), including one J1e sample.

In Foligno, central-east Umbria, 2 out of 37 samples are J1 (5.5%), including one J1e sample.

In Macerata, central-east Marche, 1 out of 40 samples are J1 (2.5%).

South Italy

In L'Aquila, Abruzzo, 1 out of 23 samples are J1e (4.5%).

In Campobasso, Molise, 1 out of 29 samples are J1e (3.5%).

In Benevento, Campania, 3 out of 36 samples are J1 (8.5%).

In Matera, Basilicata, 0 samples out of 25 are J1 (0%).

In Lecce, Apulia, 2 out of 39 samples are J1 (5%), including one J1e sample.

In Cosenza/Catanzaro/Crotone, Calabria, 1 out of 38 samples were J1 (2.5%).

In Catania, eastern Sicily, 2 out of 62 samples are J1e (3%).

In Ragusa, southeast Sicily, 2 out of 44 samples are J1 (4.5%).

In Agrigento, southwest Sicily, 5 out of 42 samples are J1 (12%), including four J1e sample.

In Olbia/Tempio/Nuoro, north-east Sardinia, 1 out of 40 samples are J1e (2.5%).

In Oristano, central-west Sardinia, 0 out of 42 samples are J1 (0%).

EDIT: Here are some results from other studies.

Battaglia et al. 2008 found 0% of J1 in Trento, southern Trentino-Alto-Adige ot of 67 samples.

Ferri et al. 2007 found 0% of J1 in Valmarecchia and Rimini, both in eastern Romagna.

Capelli et al. (2007) tested J* and J1 together and found:

North Italy

In Val Badia, Alto Adige, 0 out of 34 samples were J1 (0%).

Central Italy

In Elba Island, north-west Tuscany, 0 out of 95 samples were J1 (0%).

In Central Tuscany, 3 out of 41 samples were J1 (7%).

At the Tuscany-Latium border, 0 out of 79 samples were J1 (0%).

In the North-East Latium, 0 out of 55 samples were J1 (0%).

In the South Latium, 0 out of 51 samples were J1 (0%).

In Central Marche, 3 out of 59 samples were J1 (5%).

In Apennine Marche, 0 out of 27 samples were J1 (0%).

South Italy

In West Campania, 4 out of 84 samples were J1 (5%).

In North-West Apulia, 1 out of 46 samples were J1 (2%).

In South Apulia, 1 out of 71 samples were J1 (1%).

In West Calabria, 2 out of 57 samples were J1 (4%).

Di Giacomo et al. (2002) also tested J*+J1 together and found:

North Italy

In Val di Non, Trentino-Alto Adige, 0% of J1 was found out of 30 samples.

In Verona, west Veneto, 0% of J1 was found out of 22 samples.

In Genoa, central Liguria, 3.4% of J1 was found out of 29 samples.

Central Italy

In Garfagnana, north-west Tuscany, 0% of J1 was found out of 42 samples.

South Italy

In L'Aquila, west Abruzzo, 2.9% of J1 was found out of 35 samples.

In Pescara, east Abruzzo, 15% of J1 was found out of 20 samples.

In Avezzano, south-west Abruzzo, 3.4% of J1 was found out of 29 samples.

In the North Gargano peninsula, northern Apulia, 17.2% of J1 was found out of 29 samples.

In Foggia, northern Apulia, 0% of J1 was found out of 27 samples.

In Benevento, central-east Campania, 6.5% of J1 was found out of 46 samples.

In the Cilento peninsula, southern Campania, 6.3% of J1 was found out of 48 samples.

In Casarano, southern Apulia, 0% of J1 was found out of 20 samples.

In Brindisi, central-east Apulia, 2.6% of J1 was found out of 38 samples.

In Altamura, central-west Apulia, 0% of J1 was found out of 25 samples.

In Matera, central-east Basilicata, 0% of J1 was found out of 24 samples.

In Paola, north-west Calabria, 11.1% of J1 was found out of 27 samples.

In Reggio Calabriab, southern Calabria, 9.1% of J1 was found out of 33 samples.

Brisighelli et al. (2012) tested J*+J1 together. the results are very surprising given that J* is far higher than J1. IMHO, a lot of J1 was probably wrongly assigned as J*. This study has a lot of other inadequacies, including very poor and misleading labelling.

North Italy

In Trentino-Alto-Adige (Ladini), 0% of J1 and 0% of J* was found out of 34 samples.

In Udine, central-east Friuli-Venezia Giulia, 0% of J1 and 0% of J* was found out of 47 samples.

In eastern Liguria, 0% of J1 and 2.2% of J* was found out of 46 samples.

Central Italy

In north-west Marche (Piceni), 0% of J1 and 7.9% of J* was found out of 38 samples.

In South Latium (Latini), 4.5% of J1 and 0% of J* was found out of 44 samples.

South Italy

In Lucera, nortern Apulia, 0% of J1 and 1.7% of J* was found out of 60 samples.

In central Basilicata (Saniti), 0% of J1 and 6.5% of J* was found out of 30 samples.

In central Apulia (Salentine Greek), 0% of J1 and 2.1% of J* was found out of 47 samples.

In southern Apulia (Messapi), 2.5% of J1 and 0% of J* was found out of 49 samples.

In north-west Calabria (Belvedere), 0% of J1 and 0% of J* was found out of 27 samples.

In Sicily (Catania + Trapani), 0% of J1 and 7.2% of J* was found out of 57 samples.

Last edited:
Thanks, Maciamo. I see less J1 in Italy than in the past studies. Especially in Tuscany.

Here is the updated map of J1.

Haplogroup-J1.gif

Haplogroup-J1.gif

J1 in Ballkans it is not native. Ita a legacy of Turkish conquest of the area. J1 in Italy it is legacy of Arab conquest of the area. In France should be a reflection of Arab immigrant presence.

J1 in Ballkans it is not native. Ita a legacy of Turkish conquest of the area. J1 in Italy it is legacy of Arab conquest of the area. In France should be a reflection of Arab immigrant presence.

Another Eupedia's genius.
Before you wrote these sentences, have you ever checked haplotypes from Turkey with those from Europe? If you did you'd never wrote that kind of stupidity.

Or... you have some secret data not acessible for the rest of the planet. I dunno.

Another Eupedia's genius.
Before you wrote these sentences, have you ever checked haplotypes from Turkey with those from Europe? If you did you'd never wrote that kind of stupidity.

Or... you have some secret data not acessible for the rest of the planet. I dunno.

I did not, but if Ballkanic haplotypes are different from that of Turkey, its not neccesary tru that they are native. Turkish haplotype, can develop at new one in the proces of Genetic mixing.

I did not, but if Ballkanic haplotypes are different from that of Turkey, its not neccesary tru that they are native. Turkish haplotype, can develop at new one in the proces of Genetic mixing.

You'd have to. They mainly have nothing to do with Ottomanic Turks. If you want to be accepted as a serious contributor of this forum, you'll have to analyze various haplotypes before you start to prove something.

You'd have to. They mainly have nothing to do with Ottomanic Turks. If you want to be accepted as a serious contributor of this forum, you'll have to analyze various haplotypes before you start to prove something.
Look! I am not a literate genetist. But, common sense dictates that Turks brought genetic changes to the area. Now, it can't be that major haplogroups of populations, were brought by Turks because that would have brought popultion change, or mildly speaking Turkization of populations. Since Turkisation has not happened in a large scale, then its totaly possible that minor haplogroups to have been brought. Populations of ballkans are not geneticaly identical.

Look! I am not a literate genetist. But, common sense dictates that Turks brought genetic changes to the area. Now, it can't be that major haplogroups of populations, were brought by Turks because that would have brought popultion change, or mildly speaking Turkization of populations. Since Turkisation has not happened in a large scale, then its totaly possible that minor haplogroups to have been brought. Populations of ballkans are not geneticaly identical.

and why should be genetically identical?

i think there is no doubt almost all Y DnA J1, E1b1b,J2, ad T came in greco roman times they all are distrubutedthe same way they came froim the same from the same evet which was greco roman world here is a link that explains it http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/28810-Rome-spread-Middle-Eastern-and-North-African-Y-DNA

these Hgs are old inhabitants of Europe even if not the first ones - they were old neighbours from Near-Eastern and their SNps (downstream "sons") knew different stories - so we have to possess some deep surveys before speaking with too loud voice - some Y-J1 in Europe show some maritime tendance far North (Western Europe, Scandinavia: and even so an constatation does not resolve completley the equation: we can imagine some megalithic movements and some phoenicians ones!
surely Greeks and more Romans played a role in the soty but even when you consider Y-E1b1 (V13) you cannot imput all their presence to Roma or Greece...for Y-J2 there are different repartitions concerning SNPs even if we know their origin is common not far ago
in France, the surveys are too limited and there are to many holes between Auvergne and Paris to base something serious about central France DNA - I remind already Limousin, side-by-side with Auvergne, show some different influences in ancestry, so ...
I regreat wa have not more deep and numerous surveys about this matter...
one day, perhaps...

It seems that the italian high of J1 is 12% in a particular region of Sicily and 17% of J1 near apulia's gargano peninsula. This would have been where the iapygians had originally landed, high in J2, G2 also peaks in tat region and a few others.

Northern apulia near foggia/gargano has about 28-30% J2 and 15-17% J1. That's about 44-45% of males from there are in the J family.

Northern apulia near foggia/gargano has about 28-30% J2 and 15-17% J1. That's about 44-45% of males from there are in the J family.

I'm sure you know, but for those who don't, Lucera, which is in northern Apulia, was the site to which a large contingent of Moslem Sicilians were exiled by Frederick II. After years of living there peacefully, they were supposedly wiped out, being either killed or sold into slavery. As with all of these kinds of claims, I think it's likely some had blended in, and those J1 numbers, in particular, depending upon the subclade, might bear that out.

Apulia coincides with the region of establishment of the Iapygian culture; these people arrived from the island of Crete and had a type of Mycenean era pottery they would make. They would have been loaded with exotic strains of J2 native to Crete and the Middle East as well. The later arrival of Greek colonizers brought a treasure trove of E-V13 as well to parts of apulia,basilicata and Calabria in particular, although both Sicily and Sardinia where affected by E3b as well (not nevessarily E-V13 as it is rarer on Sardinia but it is present on Sicily, although there is E-M81 and rare E-M78 older branches as well in the latter two regions).

Another fascinating haplogroup would be F; it is found in 27% of Koya tribal Indians and 10% of Sinhalese populations. India's tribal groups have it as the most frequent "secondary element at 12.5%; The caste groups have it at 10%, but the tribal groups have 16% F, second only to hg H. Speaking of Europe, oddly, the highest % are in Pistoia (7.7%) Tuscany, and in Sicily (12%), probably due to middle eastern genetic flow to these regions.

Haplogroup-J1.gif

I wonder if J1 could be behind Cucuteni-Tripolia culture? Wave of farming migrants in 7,000 BCE.

images

They occupied many nice valleys in Europe. Bulgaria, Pannonia and Central France. I'm not sure why Italy was so popular, but perhaps it was more fertile way back

Agrigento was not phoenician colony but greek founded by cretans (J1 is also high in Crete btw).
The phoenician colony of Sicily was Palermo with Mothia as base and emporium.

"Fondata nel 581 a.C. dai coloni Rodii e Cretesi della vicina Gela, Akragas divenne in breve tempo una delle pi? importanti citt? della Magna Grecia, in Sicilia seconda solo a Siracusa."

http://www.comune.agrigento.it/index.php/la-citta/agrigento

Temple valley of Akragas (Agrigento)

mjyemo.jpg

J1 in Italy is generally evenly distributed and found in areas that were never conquered by moors. There is no big differences between the areas that was under fatmid and aglabide rule to regions that were not.

Spain has been conquered by moors for double the time and the J1 percentages are not any higher then those of Italy, so I doubt that there has been any significant J1's admixture from during this period. I believe that J1 had a better chance on entering during the neolithic (as Lebrok mentioned), some through the Greek immigration (as Hautville mentioned and well documented settlements) also through Phoenician and maybe some more during the Roman period through slavery. (again, I am not familiar from which part of the empire the Roman slaves were and how they were absorbed into the general population)

It's because most of the medieval muslims were not original arabs but more berbers. But also the berber marker E-m81 distributions has really very small in Sicily. Regarding Crete i don't know if their J1 is ancient neolithic or by the muslims (also Crete was ruled by the medieval muslims) but i think is more neolithic.

This thread has been viewed 52722 times.

Back