Is 23andMe the best option in the market for DNA analysis?

aonyshchenko

Reaction score
Dead Maciamo,

I have read few your posts and would like to reconfirm that 23andme is still the best option in the market for DNA analysis.

I am fresh to DNA and have been reading feedbacks and sites of sellers to understand what is the best.

As far as I could understand, the best options are 23andme and FamilyFree. However, prices vary significantly and I just want to avoid a selection error...

I trust you are very educated in this area and could give me a piece of advice or direction.

I am also worried about deliverable - is it something one page or what does it look like?

The best choice I would like to make is the one which provide reasonable volume of useful information which would let me understand who I am and minimize the need to make other tests...

Please, advise.

Thank you,

Alexander

Hallo everyone who reads it!

To avoid selection error I ordered both 23andMe and FamilyTree.

I find FamilyTree useless for an average customer who I am. FamilyTree does not have formal understandable report and they suggest to buy it for another $350 which is too much in addition to useless few pages of their summaries.

23andMe is far more advanced in understandability and practical use. I has much more meaningful information rather than 'machine codes' of something in FamilyTree.

Should anyone have questions, I will be happy to answer.

Alexander

I'm awaiting results from 23 and Me. Will report on experience, especially how it relates to DNA Tribes results.

I've just made it all the way through the process at 23andme. I don't have any other services to compare it with, but I'm pleased with the result. It was a pretty timely process, but that didn't stop me refreshing the page every few minutes like a crazed lab rat.

They received my kit on the 11th of March and I got the absolute final results today. Oh, and I'm 99.7% European, so here I am.

I have only used 23andMe and I am very satisfied. There are many others, but I think with nearly a million kits now sold, 23andMe gives very good results.

23andMe found over 50 potential 3rd, 4th, and 5th cousins... I already have nearly 500 individuals in my family tree. Only one of those listed by 23andMe was already known to me. About 60% are private, and 40% public. I have tried to contact about 10 of the closest, and within a few days about half of them have replied.

The forums on 23andMe are fairly active and interesting, but there seems to be good expertise specific to Europe, Genomics, and Genetic Genealogy here on this forum. My result was 99.8% European and 0.1% Native American. My mother's family traces to 1660 in the New Amsterdam territory, from Holland, 10 generations back.

Turnaround time with 23andMe? 6 weeks for preliminary results, 7 weeks for complete results, recently delivered (mid-March, 2015.)

For $5 I used my SNP results (23andMe 15MB ZIP file, renamed for some anonymity) with Promethease dot com and got some interesting but very inconclusive Health reports. As of 2014, the US-FDA has blocked 23 and Me from delivering any health info to the USA users.

I am waiting to upload my family tree data (GEDCOM file) and my SNP data file into GEDMATCH (their new user registration system has been down for over a week now.) GEDMatch is a free service that helps you find even more relatives than 23andme's relative finder. I am having trouble uncovering the family tree linkage with these newly discovered distant cousins. Maybe GEDMatch will be more fruitful.

Unfortunately, the FTDNA system cannot yet accept the newer V4 data from 23andMe.

Last edited:
I used 23andMe. the results came back quicker than I expected. I uploaded the file to Promethease and GEDmatch. Promethease showed me at least one thing about me that I knew but didn't know why. Turns out it's a genetic trait. It's the first time I ever saw anything actually tying a personality trait to genetics. GEDmatch seemed to break down my ancestry at a finer level than 23andMe. I think all three together are a pretty good tool.

I used 23andMe. the results came back quicker than I expected. I uploaded the file to Promethease and GEDmatch. Promethease showed me at least one thing about me that I knew but didn't know why. Turns out it's a genetic trait. It's the first time I ever saw anything actually tying a personality trait to genetics. GEDmatch seemed to break down my ancestry at a finer level than 23andMe. I think all three together are a pretty good tool.

hi

Another T

23andme has an old ydna tree that they use.

below are more free sites to use for 23andme user
ancestry
http://esquilax.stanford.edu/

and finding SNP ..................so you can compare to new Ydna trees
http://www.y-str.org/2014/04/23andme-to-ysnps.html

Great, thanks.

This thread has been viewed 6840 times.

Back