Im of albanian origin and got I*1

IllyrianWarrior1990

Reaction score
Can someone shedd some light on this. I just have some basic knowledge and wondering what you guys think about that an albanian got I*1.

On my mothers side i got U5a1 but with some further investigation on jameslick website i got it to be a U5a1a2a thought im not sure whats the difference.

Can someone shedd some light on this. I just have some basic knowledge and wondering what you guys think about that an albanian got I*1.

On my mothers side i got U5a1 but with some further investigation on jameslick website i got it to be a U5a1a2a thought im not sure whats the difference.

Well, while it's not exactly common it's by no means surprising. Haplogroups aren't strictly limited by national boundaries.

some info

U5a1a2a arose around 800 BC [13] and has polymorphisms in 5319 6629 6719( + U5a1a2 polymorphisms).
Found in majority in Sami ( bothia ) and west-slavic people ( poles and czechs )

yDna - Illyrian of North/Central Europe Origin.
mtdna - probably slavic.

Are you from Kosovo?

if ur Y DNA is I*1 i dont know what that is because I* is the orignal form of Y DNA I which orignated in Europe or the mid east 30,000-35,000ybp if u are talking about y dna I1* it is the orignal form of I1 which orignated in Europe 20,000-25,000ybp Y DNA I* is not restricted to any area of Europe it is about 0.5-1% in most of Europe i have no herd about where I1* is found probably central Europe but since it is so old it could have spread to albania in the last 25,000 years u could defintley have mtDNA I1 or any type of I

mtDNA U5a1 and U5a1a2a are differnt U5a1a2a is a more in depth subclade of U5a1

yDna - Illyrian of North/Central Europe Origin.
mtdna - probably slavic.

Are you from Kosovo?

Yes im from Kosovo, no known mix between any other groups than albanians. Why do u think i have slavic mtdna?

if ur Y DNA is I*1 i dont know what that is because I* is the orignal form of Y DNA I which orignated in Europe or the mid east 30,000-35,000ybp if u are talking about y dna I1* it is the orignal form of I1 which orignated in Europe 20,000-25,000ybp Y DNA I* is not restricted to any area of Europe it is about 0.5-1% in most of Europe i have no herd about where I1* is found probably central Europe but since it is so old it could have spread to albania in the last 25,000 years u could defintley have mtDNA I1 or any type of I

mtDNA U5a1 and U5a1a2a are differnt U5a1a2a is a more in depth subclade of U5a1

Yes lol i meant I1*.

Well according to 23andme im U5a1 but i sended my data further and i got a U5a1a2a. Ive heard that U5 is one of the oldest one out there.

Yes im from Kosovo, no known mix between any other groups than albanians. Why do u think i have slavic mtdna?

that mtdna seems to be common in East Europe. Maybe an ancestor in the middle ages married a Serbian or Bosnian woman. It might also be Illyrian, since Czechs and Poles are not far from central Europe.

Last edited:
My mtdna is:U5b2a1a-T16311C! . I am ethnic Albanian from Kosova. My grandmother is from Prekaz, close to the Jashari family. No slavic origin is known. Igenea tells me its Slavic.

My mtdna is:U5b2a1a-T16311C! . I am ethnic Albanian from Kosova. My grandmother is from Prekaz, close to the Jashari family. No slavic origin is known. Igenea tells me its Slavic.
Do you think Albanians never mixed with other nations?

Maybe the i1 is Germanic,though im not sure if the Germanic tribes went that way.

Do you think Albanians never mixed with other nations?

Did I write that?

I cant tell about ancient times. However, since the early 1800, no, not in my family (by ethnicity, albanian).

Maybe the i1 is Germanic,though im not sure if the Germanic tribes went that way.

well whoever has been up there, has always gone south from time to time. It's just that there is no written records of their activities in the Bronze Age. Only in the first millenium BC the Greeks and Romans started keeping a few written records. From archeological evidence we know that there was a major change of power and cultures in Albania, around the second millenium BC. Their source was probably from the North, because south and east were other established civilisations such as: Hittites, Minoans.

Did I write that?

I cant tell about ancient times. However, since the early 1800, no, not in my family (by ethnicity, albanian).
Slavs were in Balkans for 1,500 years. You can trace your family roots for 200 years. Somehow you seem surprised by possibility that one of your ancestors could have been Slavic.

Slavs were in Balkans for 1,500 years. You can trace your family roots for 200 years. Somehow you seem surprised by possibility that one of your ancestors could have been Slavic.

I dont think u understand the complex situation in Balkan. Ever since the slaves came to Balkan we have been in war with them. The hatred between serbs/slaves and albanians/illyrians are probably the deepest in the world. On recent years i dont know any marrage between serbs and albanians. Well i know one case but that was many years ago and it was in Croatia and didnt end up well either for the serb or the albanian since the father of the albanian girl did what he had to do and killd them both. In many eyes he is a legend. But this is OT.

Like i said, mingle between albanians and slaves in Kosovo is almost non-existent.

How did I seem surprised? Just because you know the fact that I am ethnic Albanian from Kosova, having said that my U5b mtdna is Slavic according to Igenea. I am not surprised at all.

How did I seem surprised? Just because you know the fact that I am ethnic Albanian from Kosova, having said that my U5b mtdna is Slavic according to Igenea. I am not surprised at all.

mtDNA U5b is teh most populat mtDNA haplogroup found MEsloithic european hunter gathers from 12,000-5,000ybp and has been found in Utaly from 14,000ybp as subclade U5b2b1, and in GErmany from 14,000ybp as subclade U5b1

U5b is a very very very very very very very very old haplogroup even your specfic subclade is spread out in Europe mtdna is alot more complicated than y dna all we can say is ur mtdna is from paloithic and mesloithic european hunter gathers the u5 lineage orignated in europe over 50,000 years ago u can not define it as slavic or what ever slavic is a language family that has been in eastern europe for at the most just 5,000 years slavics are a mix of invading indo europeans from central russia and native people in eastern europe u can not call u5b slavic

Yes lol i meant I1*.

Well according to 23andme im U5a1 but i sended my data further and i got a U5a1a2a. Ive heard that U5 is one of the oldest one out there.

ur mtdna is not slavic mtdna u5 orignated in europe over 50,000 years ago u5a1a2a is not just slavic it is spread out in all of europe slavic is a langauge family formed in eastern europe just 5,000ybp slavic speakers ( not counting ones in teh balkens) are a mix of native eastern european and invading indo europeans from the steppes( central russia) how can u say ur mtdna haplogroup is slavic

Y DNA I1* the orignal for if u really do have it it is extremly rare orignated somewhere in europe 25,000-30,000 years ago I1a2 migrated to scandnavia about 10,000-12,000 years ago they where the first scandnaviens and today I1a2 is in 40% of Scandvaiens, I1a1, I1a3, I1a4, and I1b are spread out in contiental Europe they are mainly in germany at about 15-20%. Y DNA I it self orignated in Europe or the mid east 30,000-35,000ybp

so u have a mtdna lineage that came to europe over 50,000ybp and a y dna lineage that came at least 30,000ybp possibly over 40,000ybp that is rare even though most european direct maternal and paternal lineages dont go bakc to paloithic europe in austomnal dna which tells full ancestry europeans are mainly decended from paloithic people who came at least 35,000ybp probably over 50,000ybp.

ur mtdna is not slavic mtdna u5 orignated in europe over 50,000 years ago u5a1a2a is not just slavic it is spread out in all of europe slavic is a langauge family formed in eastern europe just 5,000ybp slavic speakers ( not counting ones in teh balkens) are a mix of native eastern european and invading indo europeans from the steppes( central russia) how can u say ur mtdna haplogroup is slavic

Y DNA I1* the orignal for if u really do have it it is extremly rare orignated somewhere in europe 25,000-30,000 years ago I1a2 migrated to scandnavia about 10,000-12,000 years ago they where the first scandnaviens and today I1a2 is in 40% of Scandvaiens, I1a1, I1a3, I1a4, and I1b are spread out in contiental Europe they are mainly in germany at about 15-20%. Y DNA I it self orignated in Europe or the mid east 30,000-35,000ybp

so u have a mtdna lineage that came to europe over 50,000ybp and a y dna lineage that came at least 30,000ybp possibly over 40,000ybp that is rare even though most european direct maternal and paternal lineages dont go bakc to paloithic europe in austomnal dna which tells full ancestry europeans are mainly decended from paloithic people who came at least 35,000ybp probably over 50,000ybp.

if i do a test on ftDNA with 37 markers, will i get any more information or shouldi go with 67 markers?

Sorry gashi, somehow I mixed you with IllyrianWarrior, who is very surprised, as we can see.

mtDNA U5b is teh most populat mtDNA haplogroup found MEsloithic european hunter gathers from 12,000-5,000ybp and has been found in Utaly from 14,000ybp as subclade U5b2b1, and in GErmany from 14,000ybp as subclade U5b1

U5b is a very very very very very very very very old haplogroup even your specfic subclade is spread out in Europe mtdna is alot more complicated than y dna all we can say is ur mtdna is from paloithic and mesloithic european hunter gathers the u5 lineage orignated in europe over 50,000 years ago u can not define it as slavic or what ever slavic is a language family that has been in eastern europe for at the most just 5,000 years slavics are a mix of invading indo europeans from central russia and native people in eastern europe u can not call u5b slavic
he gets his info from wikipedia

This thread has been viewed 17355 times.

Back