E1b1b1 / E3b / E-M35 / E-V13 in the UK

TomAC

Reaction score
E1b1b1 also known as E3b / E-M35 and E-V13 is rare in Great Britain. So, how many of you are from this haplogroup AND can trace your ancestors to the UK? Where did they live? What was their surname? I've read where it is believed that this haplogroup was introduced into Great Britain by Roman soldiers from the Balkans / Thrace who were stationed there in the 1st century. Some apparently completed their service and remained in the UK.

A good article is by Steven C. Bird at w w w . j o g g . i n f o / 3 2 / b i r d . p d f

Compress / remove spaces in the web address. (I haven't posted enough times to include a URL)

These maps came from the above article:
E3bInGB1.png

E3bInGB2.png

My:
14th Great Grandfather Thomas Smith b1500 d1541 Born and died in Welbourne, Lincolnshire, England surely E-V13 DNA
13th Great GF; William Smith b1518 in Humberstone, Leicestershire, England and died 31 JAN 1552 in Honington, Warwickshire.
12th GGF; Thomas Smith; Born 1543 in Hoby, Leicestershire; Died 9JUL1601 Oxford, Oxfordshire, England
11th GGF; John of Nibley Smith born 1566 in Gloucester, Gloucestershire, England
10th GGF; William Smith; born 1600 in Humberstone, Lincolnshire, England; died 1639 in Hempstead, Linvingston, NEW YORK, USA
09th GGF: Abraham Smith; born 1625 Hempstead, Nassau, NEw YORK, USA died 1698 in Hempstead
08th GGF; Abraham Smith; born 1647, Hempstead died 1732 Cape May, NJ, USA all E-V13

I have a DNA match (E-V13) with a cousin. Our common ancestor is my 05th GGF Timothy Smith; revolutionary war soldier;
Born 25 JAN 1747 in Monmouth, New Jersey, USA; Died 3 APR 1822 in Greene, Greene County, Pennsylvania, USA
Paper and DNA match each other.

My:
14th Great Grandfather Thomas Smith b1500 d1541 Born and died in Welbourne, Lincolnshire, England surely E-V13 DNA
13th Great GF; William Smith b1518 in Humberstone, Leicestershire, England and died 31 JAN 1552 in Honington, Warwickshire.
12th GGF; Thomas Smith; Born 1543 in Hoby, Leicestershire; Died 9JUL1601 Oxford, Oxfordshire, England
11th GGF; John of Nibley Smith born 1566 in Gloucester, Gloucestershire, England
10th GGF; William Smith; born 1600 in Humberstone, Lincolnshire, England; died 1639 in Hempstead, Linvingston, NEW YORK, USA

Were your ancestors showmen or gypsies or something? Because they sure did move around a lot.

My guess: these are several different Smith families than your ancestors, meaning Thomas Smith of Welbourne, Lincolnshire is far from being "surely E-V13."

well will u look at that...what a rarity, an englishman by the name of Smith positive for E3b of the balkan E-V13 variety.....you represent trace frequencies of english men, like less than 1-3%. your paternal ancestor migrated long ago from egypt (E3b is very high in non-negroid NORTH-africans such as libyans,algerians, tunisians etc.) this only makes sense (him coming from egypt) because all E-V13's are also E-M78 positive (east north african branch libya/egypt) he arrived near greece/albania where his E-V13 mutation took place. from there, he probably arrived to southern italy riding a wave of greek colonizers to southern italy. he must have been a roman soldier stationed in britain during roman attempts to dominate england, after many centuries, he somehow ended up migrating to colonial america

this is your most probable route to where you are today.

I have a DNA match (E-V13) with a cousin. Our common ancestor is my 05th GGF Timothy Smith; revolutionary war soldier;
Born 25 JAN 1747 in Monmouth, New Jersey, USA; Died 3 APR 1822 in Greene, Greene County, Pennsylvania, USA
Paper and DNA match each other.

It could be Spanish or French from the neolithic too, but most probably is a Roman soldier of Illyrian origin. If that's the case he already was 1/2 Celtic genetically when he got to England. Congrats.

I don' t exclude roman soldiers, or true Latines, or mercenaries from Balkans and surroundings working for Rome - but if Y-E1b-V13, don't forget it 's almost sure the danubian agricultural culture had a lot of EV13 bearers along the well known Y-G2... and they move NW

they moved northwards and northwestwards along Danau river to Poland, Germany, Austria, N-E-France etc... during neolithic colonization

I don' t exclude roman soldiers, or true Latines, or mercenaries from Balkans and surroundings working for Rome - but if Y-E1b-V13, don't forget it 's almost sure the danubian agricultural culture had a lot of EV13 bearers along the well known Y-G2... and they move NW

Reading about roman soldiers from the balkan areas in britian. there is a clear distinction, that from wales across middle England to the north sea is the main E-v13 group . In southern England seems to be G2a group

I wonder if the E was from Thracian roman soldiers and G from alpine roman soldiers. The romans classified the Thracians as better troops than the alpine troops and the illyrians as troops where untrustworthy .

the door is still open - very hard to agree or disagree for now (in my mind at least)
E-V13 Thracians? maybe, it is sure there were Thracians - but are we sure Thracians were E-V13 dominent?
I had better seen a lot of Y-J2 among them + other I-E or supposed I-E and neolithical Y-HGs - but it depends of the osmose of I-E Thracians with local people in East Balkans - a bet of mine: Y-E1b-V13 bearers were rather in central Balkans around the main rivers net, before being involved in Y-G2 colonization of danubian Europe: there they were half amalgamed hald pushed outwards by newcomers at metal ages - I say: a bet!

E1b1b1 also known as E3b / E-M35 and E-V13 is rare in Great Britain. So, how many of you are from this haplogroup AND can trace your ancestors to the UK? Where did they live? What was their surname? I've read where it is believed that this haplogroup was introduced into Great Britain by Roman soldiers from the Balkans / Thrace who were stationed there in the 1st century. Some apparently completed their service and remained in the UK.

A good article is by Steven C. Bird at w w w . j o g g . i n f o / 3 2 / b i r d . p d f

"It is important to note that at least four additional YDNA markers may have arrived with the Romans. What have been described as the Balkan group (E-V13), the Ancient Caucasians (G-S314), the Herdsman-Farmers (J-M172 – and a sub-group of this, M67, looks particularly Italian) and the Anatolian marker (R1b-M269*), when taken together, potentially add another 2.3 million Englishmen and Welshmen who could trace their fatherlines to the veterans of the II Augusta, the IX Hispana, the XIV Gemina, the XX Valeria Victrix and the other Italians who crossed to Britain in their wake."
BritainsDNA Press Releases - BritainsDNA finds the Lost Legions.
http://www.britainsdna.com/about/press-releases

the problem is that, at present time, among the bearers of these HGs we cannot separate the roman or romanized soldiers from the other potential bearers (first neolithical peasants or breeders, 'long barrows' people, Bel Beakers, frenchmen at Middle Ages a.s.o. ... maybe I forget someones)

E-m215

I am [h=1]E-M215 which was e1b1b1 but I think has been refined.[/h]I have my Dads family tree back to about 1700 and they are all 'Sheppards' I want to think we are descended from Roman soldiers, but could it be possible we are from even earlier, the bronze age? when metal workers travelled to the uk from the med?

I am E-M215 which was e1b1b1 but I think has been refined.

I have my Dads family tree back to about 1700 and they are all 'Sheppards' I want to think we are descended from Roman soldiers, but could it be possible we are from even earlier, the bronze age? when metal workers travelled to the uk from the med?

We know that E-V13 has been around in europe since the Neolithic so all is possible. Although there might be some truth in the Roman troops theory, my opinion is that it cannot be the only source, since Scandinavia has similar low percentages of E-V13 similar to the UK, in areas that were never occupied by Roman troops. So earlier entries are very probable considering the age of E-V13 on the continent.

Some Spencers (some were also Sheppards) and Ferguson are also in this group. I have 1 genetic distance with Wils, Willis and Wilson from Cornwal, Scotland (border with England) and Cumbria.

I am very late to this thread but would like to add some data if it can help (any opinions/suggestions appreciated):
Sanders/Saunders family
Have been in Warwickshire (Coventry area) since early 1500's moving to Staffordshire approximately mid 1800's, I do not know if they are still there because my great grandfather came to the U.S.A. in 1893.

This thread has been viewed 49866 times.

Back