Italian citizenship..

GM1997

Reaction score
You are probably going to think that I'm very stupid, but I have a question, and I thought about putting it in the "Italy & Greece" but it doesn't really have anything to do with travel. I apologise for my stupidity.

My mother is Italian, and my father is American. I was born in Italy, and lived there until my grandmother in the U.S. got very sick, and now we are here, I was around 12. I want to move back to Italy after I graduate, and what I was wondering is, even though I have lived in the states for a while, would I still have all the same rights as an Italian citizen my age, who always has lived there?

You are probably going to think that I'm very stupid, but I have a question, and I thought about putting it in the "Italy & Greece" but it doesn't really have anything to do with travel. I apologise for my stupidity.

My mother is Italian, and my father is American. I was born in Italy, and lived there until my grandmother in the U.S. got very sick, and now we are here, I was around 12. I want to move back to Italy after I graduate, and what I was wondering is, even though I have lived in the states for a while, would I still have all the same rights as an Italian citizen my age, who always has lived there?

Italian citizenship can be automatically acquired:

• By birth to an Italian parent in line with the principle of jus sanguinis.

Basic Criteria for Acquisition of Citizenship jus sanguinis:

• There were no Italian citizens prior to 17 March 1861, because Italy had not yet been a unified state. Thus the oldest Italian ancestor from whom citizenship is proven to be derived in any jus sanguinis citizenship claim must have been still alive on or after that date.

Veneti, Friuliani, Trentini became Italian in 1923, and Triestini in 1948. or was it in 1951 with Fiume ( Rijeka )...I cannot remember.

Strange, ........my Gfather got a Knights order ( medal ) for the battle of Vittorio Veneto in WW1 and he was "not italian" . Maybe the Army had different rules.!!!!!

This thread has been viewed 2946 times.

Back