Physical differences, same haplogroup

Dubvision

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new here, I'm a lot interested by genetic and I fallen on this wonderful forum.

I come on this forum because I always wanted to have an answer on this question:

Why there are a lot of physical differences between populations who are supposed to have the same haplogroup?
For example, if we take an english and a spanish (they're both in majority (+/- 60%) part of the R1B1 haplogroup) but they've not at all the same physical spanish are black hair and english brown/blond hair, spanish have a very specific and typical physical.

So why this "extrem" variety of physical between people who have the same haplogroup ? The physical is maybe not linked to the haplogroup ?

Sorry if my question is a little strange.

Autosomal DNA is your answer. We have N² grandparents that attribute DNA on both the mothers and fathers side. My son and daughter look very different from one another, but are related (I'm pretty sure, lol!). One has blonde hair the other has dark brown. YDNA haplogroups are horrible predictors for phenotype. This is why there is a lot of debate who introduced certain characteristics, like skin color.

Thanks for your answer !

Yeah I'm in the same case, my father is half spanish/ half italian and my mother is french. My brother is very typed italian but me, I'm less due I think by the genetic transmission of my mother.
I would like to make a DNA test but I already know where my paternel lane is from, It would be more interesting for me to do the test on the X but I read it's difficult to do a DNA test on the maternel lane.

So maybe it's better if my mother do the test ? Or it is only interesting for Y chromosome ? (I'm male)

Hello everyone, I'm new here, I'm a lot interested by genetic and I fallen on this wonderful forum.

I come on this forum because I always wanted to have an answer on this question:

Why there are a lot of physical differences between populations who are supposed to have the same haplogroup?
For example, if we take an english and a spanish (they're both in majority (+/- 60%) part of the R1B1 haplogroup) but they've not at all the same physical spanish are black hair and english brown/blond hair, spanish have a very specific and typical physical.

So why this "extrem" variety of physical between people who have the same haplogroup ? The physical is maybe not linked to the haplogroup ?

Sorry if my question is a little strange.
First of all R1b means nothing, R1b-L23, R1b- U152 etc means everything, so Spanish and English are really far from each other, coz their R1b is totally different.
Also looks has nothing to do with y chr.

First of all R1b means nothing, R1b-L23, R1b- U152 etc means everything, so Spanish and English are really far from each other, coz their R1b is totally different.
Also looks has nothing to do with y chr.

I don't know if I would go as far as saying Iberian and English R1b are "totally different", considering the commonness of the Atlantic Modal Haplotype and the fact that most subclades in Iberia and England are P312 and below. While there is a prevalence of DF27 in SW Europe and L21 in the NW, you still find DF27 in the British Isles and L21 in Iberia in fair amounts. The main difference would be the much higher concentration of U106 in England, but even U106 is a "brother" of P312, so you don't go that far back.

The average Englishman looks somewhat lighter than the average Spaniard probably due to the larger settlement of continental Northern Europeans (Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Danes, Norwegians, etc), attested by the higher rates of R-U106, I1 and R1a in England than in Iberia. Maybe in Roman Britain, the population looked much more like "Spaniards", in the stereotypical sense.

This thread has been viewed 5368 times.

Back