Swiss newspaper accuses French people of being lazy, arrogant and always complaining

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
In February this year, the CEO of the US tyremaker Titan mocked French work ethic, saying that French workers only put in three hours a day and he would have to be "stupid" to invest in the country. The French reaction was indignant. At the time Arnaud Montebourg, the French Minister of Industrial Renewal, replied that Mr Taylor's comment showed a "perfect ignorance of what our country is". The problem is that the Swiss are now saying the same, and worse the criticism comes from the French-speaking part of Switzerland, a region that not only knows French culture very well (thanks to the shared language and border) but which is also accustomed to getting a lot of French workers crossing the border to seek better paid jobs in prosperous Switzerland.

The original article, published in La Matin Dimanche, explains that Swiss employers are now increasingly placing job ads with the requirement that the prospective employees be Swiss nationals or residents, or be fluent in German, so as to intentionally prevent French nationals to get the job. This is not a move to protect the Swiss job market from unemployment, which at 2.9% is one of the lowest in the world, but simply because the French are deemed "too lazy", "arrogant", "complain all the time", have a penchant for ringing in sick on Mondays and Fridays, and a "vengeful attitude".

To add salt to the wound, the newspaper quoted a Swiss recruiter who explains that "there's always a problem [with the French]. It's totally different with the Spanish and the Portuguese".

I wonder if the reticence of Swiss companies, and particularly banks, to recruit French employees has anything to do with the fact that two of the three biggest trading losses in history were committed by two Frenchmen: Jérôme Kerviel, who lost $ 7 billion at Société Générale in 2008, and Bruno Iksil (known as the London Whale and Voldemort) who lost $6.2 billion at JPMorgan Chase in 2012.

Some interesting perspectives / POVs. I would assume the large percentage of French in Switzerland originate form the Alpine border areas.

The Swiss are decidedly wary of their French neighbours, as another BBC news story explains.

BBC News said:
The Swiss army has carried out a training exercise which simulated an attack by France, it has emerged.

The wargame - which took place in August - assumed that an indebted region of France had decided to invade Switzerland to recover stolen assets.

Swiss military officials have stressed that the scenario has nothing to do with a current row between the two countries over tax.

Switzerland has not fought a war for nearly 200 years.

And the last war Switzerland just happened to be against France, when the French Revolutionaries invaded the neutral and peaceful Swiss Confederacy. That's the only time in history that Switzerland was conquered since the country became independent in the late Middle Ages.

And for French customers, they say what the Swiss?

The French are certainly rude and arrogant with tourists. Their waiters are generally not very nice. And if you go into an expensive shop but aren't wearing expensive clothes, they will look you over and tell you to leave. As for whether they're lazy, all I can say is that I saw a lot of local people of working age lounging around the Paris cafes in the middle of the day.

It appears that I may be in the minority here, but I have always had a marvelous time in France, and have never had cause to complain of my treatment there, whether I was traveling with my parents when I was young, or with friends or when studying there, or when traveling on business or with my own family. If, for some reason, it would prove impossible to spend part of my year in Italy, France would be my next, and *only* other choice.

That's not to say there aren't issues there as in any other country, and that I haven't encountered the occasional rudeness, but I give as good as I get...find it quite stimulating to get it off my chest, to be honest. I recall one memorable occasion when a friend of mine asked for train information in English, and the agent pretended not to understand and then showed in his comment to a colleague that he had understood perfectly well. Our mutual performance, in French, and the occasional Italian, drew quite an audience.
laughing.gif

Of course, perhaps my tolerance for rudeness is high since I spend the majority of my year in New York...
grin.png
Seriously, what visitors report as rudeness here is, to me, a brusqueness and directness that is partly a result of the speed at which commerce and the mundane business of life must be conducted. There's also the celebrated refusal to take any **** from other people. The kind of deference to the upper classes which is accepted in many countries is also totally unacceptable here.

It's coupled, in my experience, with incredible openness to newcomers, whether they come from a different part of the country or the far corners of the world, friendliness, and helpfulness if you're in trouble. I discovered that during a massive multi-day black out that occurred soon after I moved here, and many times since...

Oh, in so far as "rudeness" is concerned, nothing equals what I experienced in some Soviet bloc countries in the past, and in Russia to this day...having a meal in a restaurant is unpleasant beyond belief...talk about surly, sloppy, begrudging service...

It appears that I may be in the minority here, but I have always had a marvelous time in France, and have never had cause to complain of my treatment there, whether I was traveling with my parents when I was young, or with friends or when studying there, or when traveling on business or with my own family. If, for some reason, it would prove impossible to spend part of my year in Italy, France would be my next, and *only* other choice.

That's not to say there aren't issues there as in any other country, and that I haven't encountered the occasional rudeness, but I give as good as I get...find it quite stimulating to get it off my chest, to be honest. I recall one memorable occasion when a friend of mine asked for train information in English, and the agent pretended not to understand and then showed in his comment to a colleague that he had understood perfectly well. Our mutual performance, in French, and the occasional Italian, drew quite an audience.
laughing.gif

Of course, perhaps my tolerance for rudeness is high since I spend the majority of my year in New York...
grin.png
Seriously, what visitors report as rudeness here is, to me, a brusqueness and directness that is partly a result of the speed at which commerce and the mundane business of life must be conducted. There's also the celebrated refusal to take any **** from other people. The kind of deference to the upper classes which is accepted in many countries is also totally unacceptable here.

It's coupled, in my experience, with incredible openness to newcomers, whether they come from a different part of the country or the far corners of the world, friendliness, and helpfulness if you're in trouble. I discovered that during a massive multi-day black out that occurred soon after I moved here, and many times since...

I have no bad experiences in France either. The French I met had all good manners, they were tolerant, friendly, yet very unobtrusive - just how it should be. But I noticed it was crucial not to start talking in bold english language, but always start with at least one french word like 'bonjour', 'merci', 'excuse moi', 'au revoire' and such. Then it was completely ok to continue in english. Else it was perceived as impolite.
Maybe the French are lazy, I can't judge, but they are not particular arrogant, they care for themselves and don't peek in other's privacy.

By the way, does anybody know is there such a yellow press in France too like there is in Britain, Germany and Scandinavia? Maybe I just missed it.

Oh, in so far as "rudeness" is concerned, nothing equals what I experienced in some Soviet bloc countries in the past, and in Russia to this day...having a meal in a restaurant is unpleasant beyond belief...talk about surly, sloppy, begrudging service...

I guess these people have not yet learnt to hide the fact that they hate their job. I observed that too (have not been in former soviet bloc exactly, just in former eastern bloc) and it applies to services like restaurants in particular. But it has improved recently due to commercial pressure. At least you can be sure the rudeness is honest and you only get what you explicitly want, lol. In balkan countries though you might experience extreme friendlyness sometimes, which in some cases might have a certain purpose.

I have no bad experiences in France either. The French I met had all good manners, they were tolerant, friendly, yet very unobtrusive - just how it should be. But I noticed it was crucial not to start talking in bold english language, but always start with at least one french word like 'bonjour', 'merci', 'excuse moi', 'au revoire' and such. Then it was completely ok to continue in english. Else it was perceived as impolite.

It also helps when you don't loudly proclaim over a lovely breakfast of great coffee and delicious pastries, "Haven't these people ever heard of bacon and eggs for breakfast?", or "Ewww!, that's gross", when confronted by unfamiliar food, or endlessly complaining when one encounters unfamiliar customs and systems. I sometimes marvel that service people can contain themselves. (I also wonder if these people have never had a summer job in a hotel or restaurant. It's very dangerous to behave in this way. All sorts of nasty things can happen to your food before it comes to your table.
shocked.gif
)

What I find arrogant is when people choose to go to a foreign country, but don't want to experience foreign "ways", and don't want to prepare for them. Perhaps I've never experienced this kind of unpleasantness because my delight in everything is so very obvious.

That said, my French is constantly being corrected, but that's o.k. too; I speak it when I'm there because I want to improve.

I guess these people have not yet learnt to hide the fact that they hate their job. I observed that too (have not been in former soviet bloc exactly, just in former eastern bloc) and it applies to services like restaurants in particular. But it has improved recently due to commercial pressure. At least you can be sure the rudeness is honest and you only get what you explicitly want, lol. In balkan countries though you might experience extreme friendlyness sometimes, which in some cases might have a certain purpose.
That, or they haven't realized that any "mistiere" should be a source of pride if it is done well. I was always taught that no honest labor, professionally done, is ever demeaning.

I think perhaps I detect some politeness at work in your comments, which is very appreciated but unnecessary.
smile.gif
The Balkans are not the only area where extreme friendliness can be used to fleece unwary foreigners. The same phenomenon can be found in Italy, in some areas more than others. When you're a native you have the necessary social skills to determine when it is genuine and when it is not.

That said, when I return, the abrupt cessation of that sense of "warmth", of inter-connectedness with other people, of a shared humanity which is part of my culture can make me feel as if I am suddenly being plunged into a bath of cold water...very disorienting, alienating, and lonesome making...

It also helps when you don't loudly proclaim over a lovely breakfast of great coffee and delicious pastries, "Haven't these people ever heard of bacon and eggs for breakfast?", or "Ewww!, that's gross", when confronted by unfamiliar food, or endlessly complaining when one encounters unfamiliar customs and systems. I sometimes marvel that service people can contain themselves. (I also wonder if these people have never had a summer job in a hotel or restaurant. It's very dangerous to behave in this way. All sorts of nasty things can happen to your food before it comes to your table.
shocked.gif
)

What I find arrogant is when people choose to go to a foreign country, but don't want to experience foreign "ways", and don't want to prepare for them. Perhaps I've never experienced this kind of unpleasantness because my delight in everything is so very obvious.

That said, my French is constantly being corrected, but that's o.k. too; I speak it when I'm there because I want to improve.

One doesn't have to behave like the stereotypical rude American tourist in order to be mistreated by French waiters and retail staff. Some of my friends who've experienced the worst of French behaviour are in fact Canadian francophones, whose version of French often isn't well received by the Parisian French. And even those of us who are anglophones generally know what a crossant is, and do speak some French, at least those of us from the eastern half of the country. Nevertheless, I find that some of the French have quite an attitude. Although one of my friends got a friendly reception at a French restaurant that was about to close for the afternoon. She explained that she had just arrived by airplane and "I'm very hungry because of course one doesn't eat airline food". They were happy to stay open long enough to serve her, because she seemed like a food snob. So perhaps it's just a matter of knowing how to talk to French people.

El HORSTO : I appreciate the German and behavior, otherwise I would not stay in Germany.
It is true that I have seen the same as you, from seeing Trainer German idle in the day but I have not found like you.
In Russia I sometimes noticed as Angela, but I knew very well why this was and I met more often great kindness.
In France I also had bad experience as you but I'm french I know that sometimes there is this kind of stupid, you just do not have any luck.
Overall I am very consistent with Angela.
The only country that jpr?f?re through night and avoid stop is Belgium because there many people become rude and aggressive if they perceive that you are a French. These are not all the Belgians who are obviously well but just an idiot to cause serious traffic accident or a fight.
I also met the critical situation in Russia at the time of partition of Kosovo, where in a provincial town in central Russia, I took a taxi which was a Renault model and the car was stopped by nationalist fanatics with batons and flags and that because the car was French, but fortunately he did not know the customer (me) was etm'ont even spoke French without knowing that I was French and told me not to get into a Renault, then when they are gone Russian taxi driver and I laughed a lot and I told him that I also had a Renault.
For Belgium I think it is unfortunate because I know this country since my childhood because I lived many years in the Belgian but was in France (Carvin, Lille and Paris) a judge objected that I follow my family who were soldiers in war-torn countries.
But a minority is not a people
The difference when I arrive in a foreign country, I am at rest and very helpful because I do not work them but they work.
It is true and you are right, which is horrible in foreign countries is that they all speak a foreign language ;))

El HORSTO : I appreciate the German and behavior, otherwise I would not stay in Germany.
It is true that I have seen the same as you, from seeing Trainer German idle in the day but I have not found like you.

Uhmm.... :unsure::confused::unsure::grin: ok.

In Russia I sometimes noticed as Angela, but I knew very well why this was and I met more often great kindness.

I know, Russian kindess is more rare but also more honest.

In France I also had bad experience as you but I'm french I know that sometimes there is this kind of stupid, you just do not have any luck.

But I said that I had NO bad experience in France.

Overall I am very consistent with Angela.

So am I.

I also met the critical situation in Russia at the time of partition of Kosovo, where in a provincial town in central Russia, I took a taxi which was a Renault model and the car was stopped by nationalist fanatics with batons and flags and that because the car was French, but fortunately he did not know the customer (me) was etm'ont even spoke French without knowing that I was French and told me not to get into a Renault, then when they are gone Russian taxi driver and I laughed a lot and I told him that I also had a Renault.

Russia in the 1990s must have been a wacky experience I can imagine.

It is true and you are right, which is horrible in foreign countries is that they all speak a foreign language ;))

Uhmmm, luckily I could deal with it fairly well. If you read my post with a translator again maybe it becomes more clear, convier. :LOL:
Merci!:grin:

One doesn't have to behave like the stereotypical rude American tourist in order to be mistreated by French waiters and retail staff. Some of my friends who've experienced the worst of French behaviour are in fact Canadian francophones, whose version of French often isn't well received by the Parisian French. And even those of us who are anglophones generally know what a crossant is, and do speak some French, at least those of us from the eastern half of the country. Nevertheless, I find that some of the French have quite an attitude. Although one of my friends got a friendly reception at a French restaurant that was about to close for the afternoon. She explained that she had just arrived by airplane and "I'm very hungry because of course one doesn't eat airline food". They were happy to stay open long enough to serve her, because she seemed like a food snob. So perhaps it's just a matter of knowing how to talk to French people.

I don't discount your experiences, but can only relate my own, if that makes sense.

Perhaps it has something to do with whether one comes from a similar culture? And therefore indeed talks to the natives in a different way, or behaves in a way they find familiar? Your comment reminded me of a trip my husband and I took with my parents to France when they were quite elderly, all the way from Provence to Paris. Although I have never encountered any difficulties in France, I was never treated so well as I was on that particular trip. Without exception we were treated like visiting royalty, both during a "tour" and when traveling solo. I still correspond with the wonderful woman who was our tour guide in Provence. I think they were particularly taken by the fact that a man was traveling with his wife's elderly parents, a behavior which, perhaps wrongly, they didn't associate with "Americans", which my husband is, regardless of his genetics.

Part of it indeed might also have had to do with the fact that we, in particular my father, was very "serious" about food and wine. As he would in Italy, he only ordered after a protracted discussion with the waiter about our options and about the way in which the dishes were prepared. On one memorable occasion in Paris, my father, having not eaten eel in a restaurant for years, virtually inhaled his meal, even using a crust of bread for the sauce. The waiter went back into the kitchen and returned unasked with another full plate. My father inhaled that one as well, despite my mother's protestations that he would get sick. The chef in his starched whites then marched into the dining room and personally ladled another full helping onto his plate from the pot, at which time the entire restaurant burst into applause. We also found a restaurant specializing in the cuisine of the Auvergne where our delight in their regional food led to the entire restaurant staff practically joining us at table. We returned on numerous occasions. Even the stuffy waiter at the Inter-Continental in Paris unbent; seeing how much my mother enjoyed the chocolate croissants, he started to bring an extra serving dish full of them as soon as he saw us sit down, a serving for which we were never billed. Any country where my parents were treated in this way would find a place in my heart even if it weren't already there.

Not that France is the only country which I find simpatica. The running of the bulls in Pamplona when I was at university is another such memory. The stout, florid, countryman in his beret and neckerchief who so kindly shared some wine with me from his wineskin has a warm place in my heart as well, even though he tossed a luckless foreigner trying to climb out of the street back down. As do the students with whom I conversed into the early hours of the morning in a mad blend of Catalan and Italian while in Barcelona. Or the elderly farmer in Romania who brought out his prized home made wine and his sausages on a wonderful summer night. Or the time I was taught to do Greek dances in...well, I could go on, and on, but I won't bore you all.
grin.png

I think you've also hit upon something with your discussion about the experiences of French Canadiens in France. Italian-Americans are sometimes the most difficult tourists in Italy. The elderly ones who still speak some dialect that is a hundred years old seem offended that barely any one understands it anymore, just as no one sings those old songs anymore unless they're at a folk festival in some little town. They complain that the food isn't as good as what they consider "Italian" food, never realizing that their "home" food was typical only of certain regions, and was incredibly changed because of the lack of authentic ingredients in America in the early years. I'm afraid they expect to be welcomed with a fatted calf like the prodigal son, which is only going to happen in their ancestral villages. Other Italians find their attitudes, their behavior, their clothing, their body language, even the way they walk totally and unmistakably "American" and foreign, and treat them accordingly. Misunderstandings and hurt feelings all around, I'm afraid.

Russia in the 1990s must have been a wacky experience I can imagine.

it was fantastic, for better or worse, I will never forget!

I think perhaps I detect some politeness at work in your comments, which is very appreciated but unnecessary.
smile.gif
The Balkans are not the only area where extreme friendliness can be used to fleece unwary foreigners. The same phenomenon can be found in Italy, in some areas more than others. When you're a native you have the necessary social skills to determine when it is genuine and when it is not.
lol, well some people go on vacation abroad straight from their village (or quiet small town), thinking that they're escaping modernism and the stress of the West. What they don't realize is that they're putting themselves in a very complicated environment, which might be very different from the "golden cage" that they're used to. That being said, the Balkans are nothing compared to Asia when it comes to scamming tourists.

lol, well some people go on vacation abroad straight from their village (or quiet small town), thinking that they're escaping modernism and the stress of the West. .

I think we're on the same page, and they don't have to come from a quiet, small town.

When I show my American friends around Italy, I find that the less sophisticated among them are somewhat disappointed that it doesn't quite match their vision of Italy. I'm afraid some of them expect to walk into a Sophia Loren/Marcello Mastroianni movie set in the Naples of sixty years ago...you know, all barefoot and pregnant and heaving breasts. :) Even the mezzogiorno has moved on.

That being said, the Balkans are nothing compared to Asia when it comes to scamming tourists.

Some tourists positively beg to be scammed...I once asked a gondolier in Venice why on earth he was singing O Sole Mio...he told me the tourists demand it...he used to try to sing old Venetian songs but they would have none of it, so there he was, warbling a song inspired by the glorious, blazing sun, azure sea and skies, and intoxicating floral and citrus scents of the Bay of Naples while rowing about amid the watery skies and murky canals sometimes unfortunately redolent of more than a whiff of eau de Mestre. :rolleyes:

Not,of course, that there are not equally insalubrious areas of Naples proper. And no disrespect to the movies of Loren and Mastroianni...I adore them.

I think we're on the same page, and they don't have to come from a quiet, small town.

When I show my American friends around Italy, I find that the less sophisticated among them are somewhat disappointed that it doesn't quite match their vision of Italy. I'm afraid some of them expect to walk into a Sophia Loren/Marcello Mastroianni movie set in the Naples of sixty years ago...you know, all barefoot and pregnant and heaving breasts. :) Even the mezzogiorno has moved on.

Some tourists positively beg to be scammed...I once asked a gondolier in Venice why on earth he was singing O Sole Mio...he told me the tourists demand it...he used to try to sing old Venetian songs but they would have none of it, so there he was, warbling a song inspired by the glorious, blazing sun, azure sea and skies, and intoxicating floral and citrus scents of the Bay of Naples while rowing about amid the watery skies and murky canals sometimes unfortunately redolent of more than a whiff of eau de Mestre. :rolleyes:

Not,of course, that there are not equally insalubrious areas of Naples proper. And no disrespect to the movies of Loren and Mastroianni...I adore them.

I wouldn't mind going to Italy and seeing a young Sophia Loren with heaving breasts. The same for France and a young Brigette Bardot. But do some tourists really expect European countries to be what they see in old movies? Perhaps some people don't travel much. When I travel, I want to see a different place and culture, but I realize that one can't escape modern fast food restaurants or any other aspect of the 21st century in any developed country. I just ignore that sort of thing as much as I can and appreciate the old architecture and the local food and culture, while remembering that some of the locals will look at tourists the same as a lion would look at a gazelle. When I'd in a restaurant or shop, I do appreciate it if the locals are polite while they try to fleece me, but I'm also suspicious of anyone who seems too friendly and helpful.

I wouldn't mind going to Italy and seeing a young Sophia Loren with heaving breasts. The same for France and a young Brigette Bardot. But do some tourists really expect European countries to be what they see in old movies? Perhaps some people don't travel much. When I travel, I want to see a different place and culture, but I realize that one can't escape modern fast food restaurants or any other aspect of the 21st century in any developed country. I just ignore that sort of thing as much as I can and appreciate the old architecture and the local food and culture, while remembering that some of the locals will look at tourists the same as a lion would look at a gazelle. When I'd in a restaurant or shop, I do appreciate it if the locals are polite while they try to fleece me, but I'm also suspicious of anyone who seems too friendly and helpful.

I think a lot of the images I have of countries and peoples with whom I'm not all that familiar are partly formed by film whether old or recent. For some, nowadays, perhaps music videos and other internet materials also inform expectations. I just think that I'm lucky in that like you, I've been able to travel, and also like you, I think I'm aware enough of how insidious stereotypes can be, that I tend to examine and be critical of my own stereotypical thinking.

Here is the film I meant, btw...you won't need to understand Italian...it's just visuals... his expression at 2:25 is priceless...the hapless, harried Italian male exhausted by the myriad demands of his womenfolk. This is what is most endearing about him...his ability to laugh at himself. The set up for the "Yesterday" Neapolitan portion of the film is that she's been convicted of selling black market cigarettes, but in the Italy of that time and place, a pregnant woman couldn't be imprisoned. When I have time I really should post some of their films in the Italian cinema thread.

As to your other point, it's been my experience that in France as in other countries, when people, service people or not, are friendly, it most often means that and no more. And, even should I be mistaken, what have I lost? A few extra dollars? I prefer to think of what I have gained most of the time. It's worth the risk, I think.

Last edited:
I'm glad that my friends and I are the only people who've ever experienced rudeness from the cheerful, friendly, industrious French. Perhaps our experiences weren't typical, but it's odd that there seems to be a general stereotype that French waiters and retail staff are rude. I wonder how that idea ever got started?

I'm glad that my friends and I are the only people who've ever experienced rudeness from the cheerful, friendly, industrious French. Perhaps our experiences weren't typical, but it's odd that there seems to be a general stereotype that French waiters and retail staff are rude. I wonder how that idea ever got started?

Goodness, did anyone imply that you and your friends were the only people who've ever experienced rudeness from service people in France? It's quite a stereotype that's become attached to them isn't it, especially with regard to Paris, and perhaps especially in the Anglo world?

I think that I and some others who have posted on this thread have merely observed that we've never personally experienced anything particularly noteworthy in that regard in France. One can encounter rude people anywhere, of course; that's to be expected.

I obviously can't speak for your friends, but in so far as one can know someone from an internet experience, you strike me, if I am not being too presumptuous, as someone who would be a civilized and knowledgeable traveler, so I doubt that your experiences stem from any boorish behavior on your part.

As I've speculated here on this thread, I think some of it may be down to whether or not the traveler comes from a relatively similar culture, and so falls into patterns of behavior, ways of speaking, topics of conversation even, that seem familiar to them. To use one of your examples, someone who shows a real sense of discrimination in terms of the type of food they are willing to eat is going to get a more helpful response in a French restaurant than someone who doesn't.

Which leads me to the fact that perhaps if a traveler doesn't find the culture or the people very "simpatico", that is translated in some way which is picked up by the natives of whatever country might be in question? For example, you seemed to find the emphasis on food in France to be a form of food "snobbery" which it seems you find off-putting. (Fair enough, to each their own, although I personally would reserve food snobbery for those situations where people with more money than an actually well developed palate spend a fortune in a currently trendy temple to haute cuisine, but have no idea what they're actually eating.) Perhaps a less polite traveler with a similar attitude might transmit that perception in some way? Just a suggestion...

For me, good food is one of life's sensual blessings...something for every day, not special occasions, no matter how long it takes to prepare it. The quality of the food, the seriousness and attention paid to its preparation, is one of the reasons I so adore traveling to France...and most of the time I am eating in small restaurants or bistros. (The quality of a country's food doesn't lie, in my opinion, in the number of four star restaurants, but in the number of local and reasonably priced good quality restaurants.) A succession of bad meals, on the other hand, can turn a trip into a disaster. I have resisted traveling to some countries partly because the reports are that the food is atrocious. I'm thinking here of China, for example. (I love Chinese food, btw, to the horror of my older Italian relatives.) Although the food in Hong Kong is supposedly superb, what they serve the tourists in mainland China on these tours has been described to me as being so bad that it's like an enforced diet; you're guaranteed to come back kilos lighter!

Then, to be honest, the French have their own set of stereotypes about other peoples. Perhaps that has something to do with it? As I pointed out above, my American friend was treated in a way that I, when traveling alone or with other Europeans, have never experienced. I don't know that they distinguish between Canadians and Americans. I don't think some of them are particularly fond of the English either. And, as I said, they have their issues with French Canadians, and vice versa.

There are also all the regional animosities which color relationships between Europeans, unfortunately, in my opinion. The notorious disdain of the French for the French spoken in Belgium, and indeed for many things Belgian, and vice versa, will color those peoples' experiences of one another. I'm sure the Belgians don't take kindly to being seen as country bumpkins.

All of that said, France remains the most visited country in Europe from what I remember of the statistics, so either people's encounters with the French are not all that bad, or they are willing to overlook any unpleasant experiences because of the extraordinary things it has to offer.

Work habits are another issue. I think there's a lot of stereotyping going on about that as well. And, as far as I'm concerned, and with all due respect, the work habits in all of continental Europe pale in comparison to those of North Americans.
[h=3]European Union[/h] In most European Union countries, working time is gradually decreasing.[31] The European Union's working time directive imposes a 48 hour maximum working week that applies to every member state except the United Kingdom and Malta (which have an opt-out meaning that UK-based employees may work longer than 48 hours if they wish, but they cannot be forced to do so).[32] France has enacted a 35-hour workweek by law, and similar results have been produced in other countries such as Germany through collective bargaining. A major reason for the low annual hours worked in Europe is a relatively high amount of paid annual leave.[33] Fixed employment comes with four to six weeks of holiday as standard. For example, in the UK, full time employees are entitled to 28 days paid leave a year. [34]

You know, I'm going to print out all these posts of mine defending the French, and keep them handy for my next visit. Perhaps I'll leave them strategically lying about in my hotel room! I wonder how I could get restaurant staffs to read them without obviously just handing them over?
laughing.gif

Oh, I forgot about cheerfulness...I don't think I've ever said anywhere that the French are a particularly cheerful lot...in fact, I think I've posted a famous quote to the effect that the French are Italians who are in a permanently bad mood.
grin.png

I will not print out this comment for their edification!

I don't think I've ever said they're the friendliest of the Europeans either, although they've treated me extremely kindly over the years...I think I would reserve that for we Italians. I have made wonderful acquaintances, and even close friends just riding the train in Italy. I have an impressive list, if I do say so myself, of names, addresses, telephone numbers of people to visit when I am in their town, for a drink, a meal, a tour, even a bed, should I need one.

Of course, this won't happen when you're riding commuter trains on workdays and you're surrounded by harried and bleary eyed Italians who, due to their reluctance to ever move away from the sound of their own campanile, condemn themselves to hours of commuting time each day.

This thread has been viewed 27716 times.

Back