DYS455=9 and a few other questions…

Tom Fowler

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-L2+ (z49-, z367-)
mtDNA haplogroup
H
Sorry about the length. I’m a newbie at this and have a few questions. (Be kind. :))

Earlier this year, I received my Geno 2.0 results (R-L2+), but hadn't taken the time a look at the raw data.
I loaded it to FTDNA (Kit N114738) and then ordered a full genome test. The first 37 markers have been returned – the remainder has been delayed because the first test failed to yield usable results. They’re due in early September.

When I found out that the FTDNA 67 results were delayed, I decided to look into the Geno 2.0 raw data (where I discovered I was Z49- and Z367-). After initially being totally confused and sending a couple of embarrassing emails to two of the admins for the FTDNA U152 project, (again, my apologies if any of them read this…I was totally confused) I finally figured it out. I found some additional matches and potential matches using the 2013 ISOGG SNP Index. I’d appreciate any insight any of you could provide on these results.

The thing that immediately jumped out at me was the DYS455=9 result. There’s only one match at 12, 25 and 37 markers (same surname, 0, 0, 2 respectively – and his email address no longer works). I can’t seem to find any other substantial matches to that value in R1b. (I looked through as many projects as I could.)

My first question is this: Is a DYS455 value of 9 for a R-L2+ (or R1b for that matter) rare or noteworthy? What conclusions, if any, can I draw from it?

Additionally, I’d appreciate any insight any of you could provide on these results:

Matches: CTS7275; CTS8127.2; M37; PF121.2; YSC0000081.2 (private or investigation shown on ISOGG)

Geno 2.0 Allele values of “I”: I’m assuming this stands for ‘inconclusive,’ but I’m not sure. Geno hasn’t responded to my query. L12, L175, L253, L325, L561, M17, Z299, M126 fall into this category. ISOGG shows them as “del.” Obviously, “del” and “I” aren't the same, but what’s the implication (if any) of the value I? If it’s ‘inconclusive’ would any other tests be able to provide a definitive answer if it’s been deleted?

Lastly, there are a number of examples where my Allele 1 and 2 values don’t match either of the values shown on the mutation. (Ex: CTS11795.2, G,G; Mutation C>A). Is G an ancestral (G>C>A)? Or the value of CTS11795? Or unique? I’m a little confused on this one.

Sorry for all the questions….and I hope they’re not too simplistic. I’ve Googled quite a bit and can’t seem to find the answers.

My first question is this: Is a DYS455 value of 9 for a R-L2+ (or R1b for that matter) rare or noteworthy? What conclusions, if any, can I draw from it?
I apologize for re-opening an old thread, but I don't see any other way to contact you. The only two other R-L2 men with DYS455=9 are both in my project:
N46909 of Ukraine
133147 of the Czech Republic
Both have tested R-L2** (according to the known set of SNPs).

N46909 took the Big Y test and submitted his raw data (BAM file) to YFull for analysis. I know that you took FullGenomes' test. Have you, too, submitted your BAM file to YFull for analysis? It would be great if you two guys formed a new subclade!

This thread has been viewed 16613 times.

Back