Belgae heritage in Britannia and germany?

MOESAN

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
more celtic
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b - L21/S145*
mtDNA haplogroup
H3c
I know this thread will not send a revolution here!

I pay attention in linguistics to the evolution of phonetic aspect - written languages newly learned with modern males for the methods can undergo very few phonetic evolution, but in ancient time, when populations changes languages the substrata population could change the learned language quickly enough and in big proportions - dialects evolution too is more instructive very often than the standard written language of an elite -

I saw the southwestern dialects of English (for I know: in Devon, Gloucester and Dorset) know a 'sonorisation' (softer) of some consonnants like F >> V -- S >> Z -- sometimes TH >> DH and I 'll check it, SH >> ZH
Breton language knows the same evolution (except TH >> DH) in its Tregor, E-Cornouaille (Kernew) and Vannetais (gwened) dialects - english in Cornwall, learned later than in other S-W England parts, lacks this voicing evolution of consonnants BUT as in breton, celtic cornish know this evolution - by the way it confirms what I wrote above -
we know breton is closer to cornish than to welsh, there is no discussion about it - someones made the hypothesis the brittonic emigrants in brittany came not from Wales but from the central parts of Britannia and even from the eastern parts, pushed by the Anglo-Saxons: it could really make sense - the ones who could not take refuge in mountainous Wales or Cumbria were pushed in Dumnonia ?
a lot of saints came from Wales, but it is not the majority of population - some scholars even think that a lot of the Britton refugees were came from Northern Britannia (S. Scotland) - I don't think they were a majority -
now when we look at the same phonetical phenomenon in germanic speaking lands of today, is seems the center of propagation of this 'sonorisation' or 'voicing' evolution was around the Rhinelands, North or South: the more purest germanic regions (Scandinavia, Frisia) ignores this phenomenon - the extension of it in other german dialects could be the result of written german learned lately (we know the first written (chancelleries) 'koines' of german were based upon southern or central-southern german dialects - I believe (I'llpost after about it) some northern german dialects did not undergo this evolution, so? Belgae influence???

just for the fun

I know this thread will not send a revolution here!

I pay attention in linguistics to the evolution of phonetic aspect - written languages newly learned with modern males for the methods can undergo very few phonetic evolution, but in ancient time, when populations changes languages the substrata population could change the learned language quickly enough and in big proportions - dialects evolution too is more instructive very often than the standard written language of an elite -

I saw the southwestern dialects of English (for I know: in Devon, Gloucester and Dorset) know a 'sonorisation' (softer) of some consonnants like F >> V -- S >> Z -- sometimes TH >> DH and I 'll check it, SH >> ZH
Breton language knows the same evolution (except TH >> DH) in its Tregor, E-Cornouaille (Kernew) and Vannetais (gwened) dialects - english in Cornwall, learned later than in other S-W England parts, lacks this voicing evolution of consonnants BUT as in breton, celtic cornish know this evolution - by the way it confirms what I wrote above -
we know breton is closer to cornish than to welsh, there is no discussion about it - someones made the hypothesis the brittonic emigrants in brittany came not from Wales but from the central parts of Britannia and even from the eastern parts, pushed by the Anglo-Saxons: it could really make sense - the ones who could not take refuge in mountainous Wales or Cumbria were pushed in Dumnonia ?
a lot of saints came from Wales, but it is not the majority of population - some scholars even think that a lot of the Britton refugees were came from Northern Britannia (S. Scotland) - I don't think they were a majority -
now when we look at the same phonetical phenomenon in germanic speaking lands of today, is seems the center of propagation of this 'sonorisation' or 'voicing' evolution was around the Rhinelands, North or South: the more purest germanic regions (Scandinavia, Frisia) ignores this phenomenon - the extension of it in other german dialects could be the result of written german learned lately (we know the first written (chancelleries) 'koines' of german were based upon southern or central-southern german dialects - I believe (I'llpost after about it) some northern german dialects did not undergo this evolution, so? Belgae influence???

just for the fun

I answer myself!
firstable, the symetry is not allways respected and in german, the 'V-' writing is confusing, the pronounciation being almost averytime /f/ and not /v/ - only in the "sourhern frankish" dialects (dutch, flemish) are the V pronounced effectively /v/ (but not in all of them, only the big majority)
some german dialect retained the old unvoiced or "hard" sounds for these consonnants:
close to Friul (NE Italy), Swabes from Hungary (Hodschag), in Vogelsberg, Kolnish (Kölch) speakers in the USA, Afrikaners, and too some dutch dialects -
the impression is the more isolated or a long time ago emigrated far from Germany the less we found voicing: so this voicing could be the gradual influence of litterary language upon the dialects by time - the frisian languages of N-Germany ignore this voicing for the most - surely by the fact the written german reached them lately?
the voicing is partly unbalanced: F >> V is rarer than S >> Z : this assymetry is found in breton dilaects too where the S >> Z evolution went farther than F >> V -
breton /SH/ often enough gives /ZH/ - not the german /SH/: but it comes (germanic) very often from old /SK/ >> /SKH/ before palatization or from other groups where like SP, ST, SN, SL, SM... -/SW/ >> ZW/ in dutch/flemish, not /ZHW/
as very often a tendancy in phonetic does not obey a complete symetric theorical system - some consonnants are involved soner than other: some analogical assimilation plays more or less, but I think that the region that show the complete evolution with complete analogical result are the focus of the phenomenon: so I would place the continental place of origin in Low Rhine region...?

concerning german language, the non voicing of F >> /V/ can be explained by the evolution /W/ >> /V/ that did not occur at ancient stages neither in celtic brittonic nor in flemish nor in dutchh (dutch dialects as a whole have a sound between /W/ ha /V/ (closer to /V/, not too far from the greek /[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]β/ but spired, less occlusive = a bilabial V and not a labiodental V...[/FONT]

This thread has been viewed 3789 times.

Back