Haplogroup I-M26

adamo

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
T1a1a3 (T-PF7443)
mtDNA haplogroup
H
Haplogroup I-M26, the "Sardinian" I2a variety, is found in 40-45% of Sardinian males for example; most people do not realize it is also about 19-20% of Spanish Castillan male lineages in central spain. In fact, the very center of Spain, the countries nucleus has a high of 33% hg I. Most of portugal has 5-10% hg I. But Spain has 10-30% I across most of the country. This means that these men certainly moved from southeastern Europe towards Central Europeans then to Iberia from where they arrived in Sardinia.

About 10% of spaniards belong to I, but Castile has very high I-M26 frequencies.

The days of supposing an I2-M26 origin in Sardinia are over; it's clearly a founder effect there. Iberia has significant diversity, considering that the most common subclade (L160+) has high diversity there, and an outlier (L277+ L247+) is found there. See Cullen. That could indicate that most modern I2-M26 passed through Iberia, at least northeastern Iberia near the Pyrenees. However, it's worth noting that the greatest I2-M26 outlier is in fact German, as is a cousin of the Iberian outlier, indicating that before arriving in Iberia, it was indeed in or around Germany, or at least expanded that direction as well between the end of the Ice Age and the beginning of the Neolithic. See Cullen again.

That is correct. It actually seems to have arrived in central Spain (Castile) where 33% of males are I, and 20% of it is I-M26 like in 40-45% of Sardinians.About 10% of spaniards are I on a national level though.

It probably migrated from the Balkans to Central Europe a very long time ago. From there, it would move towards central Iberia. From here it somehow reached Sardinia.

Haplogroup I-M26, the "Sardinian" I2a variety, is found in 40-45% of Sardinian males for example; most people do not realize it is also about 19-20% of Spanish Castillan male lineages in central spain. In fact, the very center of Spain, the countries nucleus has a high of 33% hg I. Most of portugal has 5-10% hg I. But Spain has 10-30% I across most of the country. This means that these men certainly moved from southeastern Europe towards Central Europeans then to Iberia from where they arrived in Sardinia.

I have compiled all studies on Sardinia and got 37.5% of I2a-M26.

I have also calculated regional frequencies for Spain based on all the studies available and the highest percentage of I2a is in Aragon with 14.5%, followed by Andalusia with 9.5%. Both Castilles have only 1.5 to 2% of I2a, which is the lowest in Spain.

I know studies that say there is a peak of I lineages smack in the center of Spain (Castile) 33%. As you near further from this core, the frequencies get lower.overallp, 10% of spaniards are I. But in Castile province, 33% are I and 20% of it is I-M26 as is found in Sardinia. Castile has abnormally high I lineages and most of it is I-M26.

The abnormality are the figures itself, which I highly doubt were obtained taking care of the samples (they should be representative of the whole region). Moreover, the vast majority of I2a1a* spread all over Spain from the Northeastern regions during historical times. Both Catalans and Aragonese were the main peoples involved in the repopulation of many different areas, which makes a lot of sense.

I can believe, for instance, there are little villages in Castille showing very high percents, but the same surely happens in Catalonia or Aragón. So what makes sense is to find exactly the averages listed by Maciamo.

I know studies that say there is a peak of I lineages smack in the center of Spain (Castile) 33%. As you near further from this core, the frequencies get lower.overallp, 10% of spaniards are I. But in Castile province, 33% are I and 20% of it is I-M26 as is found in Sardinia. Castile has abnormally high I lineages and most of it is I-M26.

Which ones ?

Hello,

Nice to join this Forum. I have very poor knowledge in this science and I have a question regarding I- M26.

Thank you for your Help.

23 and Me said:

I-M26 is a subgroup of I-M438.
HaplogroupI-M438Age28,000 yearsRegionEastern and Southern Europe

and then they shift to this group:
[h=4]Haplogroup I-M438 Migration[/h]Origin: I-M438 diverged from its brother haplogroup about 28,000 years ago. Then, at the end of the Ice Age about 12,000 to 14,000 years ago, I-M438 expanded northward from Doggerland and radiated outward from the Balkans into the eastern half of the continent. Today it is most abundant in eastern Europe and on the Mediterranean island of Sardinia, where it is found in 40% of the male population.
Highlight: Scientists speculate that I-M438 is associated with the ancient civilization of Doggerland. Doggerland, coined a real-life Atlantis, was a civilization in an area that is now covered by the North Sea.
Example Populations: Balkans, Sardinians

who could explain difference, if any between these 2 groups

This thread has been viewed 31044 times.

Back