Oracle

Yedidah

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I uploaded our autosomal tests results to Gedmatch but really have no idea what the different project results mean! For example, what is single population vs mixed mode population? In single population why are things listed 1,2,3-is that in order of %? What does "distance" mean? In mixed mode what does primary and secondary population source mean? What are Oracle and Oracle 4? What does using 2,3,4 populations mean? I have tried to search the site for answers to these questions but have been able to find what I need. If it is already here please send me in the right direction. Thank you all for your help!

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I uploaded our autosomal tests results to Gedmatch but really have no idea what the different project results mean! For example, what is single population vs mixed mode population? In single population why are things listed 1,2,3-is that in order of %? What does "distance" mean? In mixed mode what does primary and secondary population source mean? What are Oracle and Oracle 4? What does using 2,3,4 populations mean? I have tried to search the site for answers to these questions but have been able to find what I need. If it is already here please send me in the right direction. Thank you all for your help!

ya Im in the same boat as you. Hopefully someone can explain it to us. I also don't understand all the different admixture tests, because they all have different results?? Its really confusing and makes me think autosomal tests are a lot harder to understand than I thought.

Oracle gives the closest (genetically) populations to you. This is in terms of admixture proportions and does not necessarily imply ancestral roots from that population. I can use the Cypriots and Sephardic Jews example. The majority of Cypriots get 'Sephardic Jew' as the closest population. If you consider historical evidence, this is somewhat odd, as Cypriots should be basically a mixture of Neolithic Anatolian/Mediterranean farmers (the Eteocypriots), Anatolian/Caucasian metalworkers (Chalcolithic and Bronze age), Mycaenean Greeks (Iron age) and Phoenicians (Iron age II). Despite the common Neolithic background population, Sephardic Jews do not share substantially any of the other components and there is evidence that their exodus to the Iberian peninsula started as early as the destruction of the first temple (586 BCE). Therefore, the Sephardic Jews and Cypriots have been living in the opposite sides of Europe (Easternmost part and Westernmost part) for roughly 2000 years. The Jews never 'received' the huge ancient Greek component that the Cypriots did and the Cypriots never received the substantial Iberian component the Sephardic Jews did. Yet, the admixture of these 2 populations is astonishingly similar (and they do cluster in admixture analyses). This does not mean, however, that high genetic proximity with a specific population in Oracle cannot reveal actual ancestry from that specific group. This can definitely be the case as well. It depends on the specific case.

This thread has been viewed 7997 times.

Back