Greek Results for Eurogenes K13 (North Indian Admixture)

JQP4545

Reaction score
I just did the Eurogenes K13 Admixture test and it came back with significant portions of DNA from West Central Asia (North India/Pakistan). I also did the Harappa test and it came back with a similar percentage of DNA from Baloch (North India/Pakistan). I was just wondering if anyone knows where this comes from in Greeks? I am 1/4 Greek and its says I have 6% West Central Asian, .66% South Asian, and 1.78% Southwest Asian. The Harappa test says I have 8.3% Baloch. I am certain this comes from my Greek ancestry because other family members have had similar results. Does this come from Turks, Gypsies, Neolithic Farmers, Indo-Europeans, or somewhere else? Any other Greeks have similar results? I also have signicant Caucasus admixture (12.56%), but I do not know if this came from my Greek ancestors.

I just did the Eurogenes K13 Admixture test and it came back with significant portions of DNA from West Central Asia (North India/Pakistan). I also did the Harappa test and it came back with a similar percentage of DNA from Baloch (North India/Pakistan). I was just wondering if anyone knows where this comes from in Greeks? I am 1/4 Greek and its says I have 6% West Central Asian, .66% South Asian, and 1.78% Southwest Asian. The Harappa test says I have 8.3% Baloch. I am certain this comes from my Greek ancestry because other family members have had similar results. Does this come from Turks, Gypsies, Neolithic Farmers, Indo-Europeans, or somewhere else? Any other Greeks have similar results? I also have signicant Caucasus admixture (12.56%), but I do not know if this came from my Greek ancestors.

your numbers look normal for a Greek

Here are my k13 results:

North European29.03%
West African-
Mediterranean32.46%
Northeast African-
North Eurasian-
South Asian-
Southwest Asian6.30%
Pygmy-
Caucasus21.08%
East Siberian0.95%
East Asian-
Amerindian-
West Central Asian10.12%

Greeks tend to have a high Caucasus percentage in general.

Here are my k13 results:

North European29.03%
West African-
Mediterranean32.46%
Northeast African-
North Eurasian-
South Asian-
Southwest Asian6.30%
Pygmy-
Caucasus21.08%
East Siberian0.95%
East Asian-
Amerindian-
West Central Asian10.12%

Greeks tend to have a high Caucasus percentage in general.

Are there published population averages in this project? One of the best ways to analyze your results is to compare them to those of the average person of your ethnicity. If they aren't published, I would suggest you run the Dodecad calculators at gedmatch. Dienekes provides spreadsheets with population averages for most of his calculators at the dodecad.blogspot.com site.

And these results don't, in my opinion, in any way contradict the finding of 23andme that you are 100% European. 23andme claims that their analysis is valid for the past 500 years. Given the results for southern Italians as just one example, I think it may actually go back at least 1500-2000 years, back to a time when the concept of "Europe" as such didn't even exist.

The calculators are attempting to show admixture from thousands of years ago, at least back to the Neolithic era, in order to understand the peopling of western Eurasia, but the clusters that form still mask, in my view, much of the really ancient admixture, if the results of the Reich/Patterson group at Harvard are any indication. Unfortunately, there is no calculator currently available, to my knowledge, that really peels back the onion to show the actual founding admixture events for Europeans as reflected in individuals and "ethnicities" , although I think Dienekes' Globe 4 analysis comes pretty close.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArJDEoCgzRKedGR2ZWRoQ0VaWTc0dlV1cHh4ZUNJRUE#gid=1

Of course, in this analysis, no European group is 100% "European" or what the more racially minded might call Caucasoid.

Eurogenes don't publish averages for most of their calculators, but I've seen that other greeks have similar results according to what they publish in forums. Compare with the map here

Thanks! But on the Gedrosia map, for example, does this mean that the Irish are 10% Persian?

Thats not NorthIndian, as its name suggests it is a West-Central Asian (Iranian?) component similar to Gedrosia.

I beleive this admixture is linked to the Dodecad 'Gedrosia' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gedrosia) admixture. Check the Gedrosia autosomal map here (http://www.eupedia.com/europe/autosomal_maps_dodecad.shtml). A way to disentangle if it is a recent or ancient migration is to determine if this is present at similar levels in other Greeks as well. If it does, then it is likely an ancient admixture. Here are my Eurogenes k13 results by the way. Please note that as a Greek Cypriot, I have much less North European and slightly more Asian admixture than a typical mainland Greek:

Population
North European8.04%
West African-
Mediterranean33.97%
Northeast African1.42%
North Eurasian-
South Asian1.59%
Southwest Asian11.39%
Pygmy0.08%
Caucasus26.40%
East Siberian-
East Asian0.60%
Amerindian-
West Central Asian16.49%

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 11766 times.

Back