Scientists trace 19 living relatives of Ötzi

I saw that, but I the article doesn't make any sense if they don't mention what they mean by "relative". Anybody could be distantly related to Ötzi. They surely do not mean autosomally related for there wouldn't be any chromosomal segment surviving 5,300 years. So they must mean Y-DNA, but that alone doesn't prove that Ötzi is their ancestor, nor even that Ötzi had any children of his own. I have searched the Internet for me info, but couldn't find anything. All the other articles on the subject are just as fuzzy. For me this is an example of useless and meaningless article. A full page to say that something might have been discovered but they won't tell you what.

I saw that, but I the article doesn't make any sense if they don't mention what they mean by "relative". Anybody could be distantly related to Ötzi. They surely do not mean autosomally related for there wouldn't be any chromosomal segment surviving 5,300 years. So they must mean Y-DNA, but that alone doesn't prove that Ötzi is their ancestor, nor even that Ötzi had any children of his own. I have searched the Internet for me info, but couldn't find anything. All the other articles on the subject are just as fuzzy. For me this is an example of useless and meaningless article. A full page to say that something might have been discovered but they won't tell you what.

It does seem like one of those news made for catching the eye of curious laypersons. But I wonder if they have some of Otzi's STR markers and discovered that 19 out of those 3,700 who got tested have identical markers... which would probably be a coincidence anyway, because plenty of STR mutations can happen in 5,300 years. Or maybe they're just going by Otzi's terminal SNP.

It does seem like one of those news made for catching the eye of curious laypersons. But I wonder if they have some of Otzi's STR markers and discovered that 19 out of those 3,700 who got tested have identical markers... which would probably be a coincidence anyway, because plenty of STR mutations can happen in 5,300 years. Or maybe they're just going by Otzi's terminal SNP.

If they found modern people with the exact same Y-DNA STR values as Ötzi then we could safely say that they are not his descendants since no Y-DNA can survive 5300 years without a lot of mutations.

This thread has been viewed 20666 times.

Back