Can you guess and classify this man?

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
I thought this was another good one for the guess and classify section. I'll be interested to see what you make of it; it had me stumped at first...

View attachment 6043

I thought this was another good one for the guess and classify section. I'll be interested to see what you make of it; it had me stumped at first...

View attachment 6043

Since no one seems to be willing to play...lol.

This is Gregory Fitoussi, French actor of Algerian Jewish descent. I think he bears a strong resemblance to Bernard Henri Levy, who is from the same community.
levy1.jpg

I know this fella, the very animated philosopher.

First guy is definitely of European descent; it would be difficult to specify which region as he fits in many categories; very interesting the second guy, we can clearly see he's Jewish as he looks more like a middle easterner than a north-African, for example, on the median. He looks quite out of place for an Algerian to be honest.

So I've re-read as I'm smoking a blunt; it would appear that they are BOTH Jews.

Maybe Algerian Jew but I got the impression that Sephardic Jews in general look more Europe or Near Eastern/West Asian than North African.

So I've re-read as I'm smoking a blunt; it would appear that they are BOTH Jews.
Yep, they look very European so they both could be Jews. I'm not sure what Jewish features you're talking about?

I actually re-saw photos of those individuals on google; they don't quite look Jewish actually

there is no peculiar physical trait that can be attributed to Jews only; the second man (I cannot see acutely enough the fîrst one) could be Italian, Greek, Jew (where from?), Armenian, French, Iberian, Swiss... he has some partly 'cromagnoid' features on his face, what is not the commoner among most of Jews but who knows? his eyes (eyelids) are very european, 'alpinelike', neither typically North-African nor Near-Eastern; as you know, Jews are a melting pot of heavy european ascendance among Askenazes and near-eastern-anatolian-southern european for sepharades so...

Yes, Exactly

If you can't see Gregory Fitoussi clearly just click on the picture...it should enlarge. Both he and BHL are of Algerian Jewish ancestry, although of course now French. I posted them mainly because when I saw the handsome Mr. Fitoussi in the French series "Engrenages", The Spiral, I looked him up because he didn't look quite French to me, but neither could I place him precisely. When I discovered he was of Algerian Jewish background, I thought of Bernard Henri Levy, with whom I'm very familiar, and once I looked at his young pictures, I thought I could see the resemblance. I wondered if anyone else would see it.

Right. lol

Last edited:
Right. lol

Obviously, Adamo, the people who do market research and cast leading men don't agree with you. :)
Gr%C3%A9gory-Fitoussi-Pierre-Cl%C3%A9ment-Engrenages-600x401.jpg

Neither do the female characters in Engrenages, by the way.

there is no peculiar physical trait that can be attributed to Jews only; the second man (I cannot see acutely enough the fîrst one) could be Italian, Greek, Jew (where from?), Armenian, French, Iberian, Swiss... he has some partly 'cromagnoid' features on his face, what is not the commoner among most of Jews but who knows? his eyes (eyelids) are very european, 'alpinelike', neither typically North-African nor Near-Eastern; as you know, Jews are a melting pot of heavy european ascendance among Askenazes and near-eastern-anatolian-southern european for sepharades so...

Moesan, could you explain what you mean when you say that "Alpine" is a good description for BHL's eyes? My father and his whole family have the kind of eyes you are discussing... with the droopy lid, (how's that for an anthropological description, lol?) They are from northern Italy.

If you can't see Gregory Fitoussi clearly just click on the picture...it should enlarge. Both he and BHL are of Algerian Jewish ancestry, although of course now French. I posted them mainly because when I saw the handsome Mr. Fitoussi in the French series "Engrenages", The Spiral, I looked him up because he didn't look quite French to me, but neither could I place him precisely. When I discovered he was of Algerian Jewish background, I thought of Bernard Henri Levy, with whom I'm very familiar, and once I looked at his young pictures, I thought I could see the resemblance. I wondered if anyone else would see it.

if you had the opportunity to see southern Frenchmen (and too big towns frenchmen of everypart) maybe you would not say "they are not French looking" - Southern Frenchmen are far to present always mediteranean traits of whatever kind but faces like these are far too to be rare - and big towns of France are since long ago the places of jewish, italian, , armenian and all kinds of Mediterraneans (geographically speaking) populations, since the roman times for someones (people more skillful for commerce and trading): the last spanish and portuguese emigrations were less based on commerce, more on hand work -in recent times I think I remarked Southern italians were found more in commerce and Northern italians more in building occupations (brickwork)... Maybe am I wrong?

if you had the opportunity to see southern Frenchmen (and too big towns frenchmen of everypart) maybe you would not say "they are not French looking" - Southern Frenchmen are far to present always mediteranean traits of whatever kind but faces like these are far too to be rare - and big towns of France are since long ago the places of jewish, italian, , armenian and all kinds of Mediterraneans (geographically speaking) populations, since the roman times for someones (people more skillful for commerce and trading): the last spanish and portuguese emigrations were less based on commerce, more on hand work -in recent times I think I remarked Southern italians were found more in commerce and Northern italians more in building occupations (brickwork)... Maybe am I wrong?

I was actually born and lived for a good part of my life right over the border from France in Liguria and have spent much time in Provence. It's one of my favorite places in the world. Were I not going to retire in Italy some day, that would be my next choice. Perhaps I just don't have visual discrimination skills as developed as yours. :)

I don't know much about any Italian immigration to France. As far as most Italians are concerned...Nice (Nizza) and the surrounding areas are really Italian...Garibaldi, born in Nizza, certainly throught so...As to early twentieth century migration to France from Italy, I think a lot of it was from the Veneto...there were indeed though, some northwestern Italians involved in the construction of the tunnel up by Barcelonette. The majority of the immigrants from the north west and northern Tuscany, and the Veneto too, for that matter, went to South America. I get a lot of matches at 23andme from Argentina and Brazil.

Moesan, could you explain what you mean when you say that "Alpine" is a good description for BHL's eyes? My father and his whole family have the kind of eyes you are discussing... with the droopy lid, (how's that for an anthropological description, lol?) They are from northern Italy.

All what you say is correct.
you can get further info from this link which is only 4 months old
http://www.nature.com/ejhg/journal/v21/n11/abs/ejhg201341a.html

Origin of blue eyes in ancient times was from the alpine area. This was discussed previous on another thread here...............it is based on genetics

based on :The color of the eyes: at least 17 HERC2 variants in Human gene pool
Frequency of light eyes in a population = (%ht1 +%ht2)2

Example1: Germans have 46% ht1 and 33% ht2.
(46%+33%)2
= (0.46 + 0.33)2
= 0.792
= 0.62
= 62%
62% of the Germans have light eye color based on the HERC2 genotype.

Frequency of light eyes in a population = (%ht1 +%ht2)2

Example1: Northern Italians have 42% ht1 and 27% ht2.
(42%+27%)2
= (0.42 + 0.27)2
= 0.692
= 0.58
= 58%
58% of the Northern Italians have light eye color based on the HERC2 genotype.

Is this certain european type of Jew look?

Anthony Bourdain
AnthonyBourdain.jpg

Jonathan Miller
JonathanMiller_1693487c.jpg

I don't have problem recognizing "Jewishness" in Leonard Cohen or Bob Dylan.
Leonard-Cohen-9252529-1-402.jpg
bob-dylan_1389356c.jpg

Is this certain european type of Jew look?

Anthony Bourdain
AnthonyBourdain.jpg

Jonathan Miller
JonathanMiller_1693487c.jpg

I don't have problem recognizing "Jewishness" in Leonard Cohen or Bob Dylan.
Leonard-Cohen-9252529-1-402.jpg
bob-dylan_1389356c.jpg

Are these all supposed to be Jewish?

Anthony Bourdain is non-religious person, father was catholic, mother was jewish......he married a sardinian women (Ottavia Busia) and was born in south-east France ( or family originated from there ).

Is one classified as Jewish by a parent or religious following?
If religious , then he is "pagan"

Are these all supposed to be Jewish?

Anthony Bourdain is non-religious person, father was catholic, mother was jewish......he married a sardinian women (Ottavia Busia) and was born in south-east France ( or family originated from there ).

Is one classified as Jewish by a parent or religious following?
If religious , then he is "pagan"
I guess, whatever doesn't fit your compartmentalization and strict definition then it stops existing for you. Well get used to it, that's how today's world looks like. It is getting extremely hard to segregate and define people, as they mix, change and evolve.
Just compare it to your situation. Are you a Venet or New Zealander? You can also entertain us with your definition of a Jew.

This thread has been viewed 17413 times.

Back