Autosmal results for Slovak American

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Slavic, Vlach, Celto-Germanic
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1a
I recently added my autosomal dna results from ancestry.com to Gedmatch.com. I don't understand them at all and what they mean really if someone could help me understand them. What do the dodecad results tell me exactly. Why am I only 22% Eastern European when three of my grandparents were from there. The Gedmatch website is also quite confusing. Just so you know Three of my grandparents are from Slovakia and the third is a white American. I will upload my ancestry.com results first and then the Dodecad results karl percentages.PNGDodecad project Karl.PNG

Last edited:
You don't have to take it literally these components, the East-Euro doesn't mean literally ancestry from Eastern-Europe , because this East-Euro component peaks in Lithuanians, and so you being Slovakian, you are more Central/Western euro than them, your East-Euro score is similar to the average of Slovenians (22%) and your West Euro is in-between Slovenians and Germans (39% and 53% respectivel) and also with similar Mediterranean level. So it all makes sense to me.

I recently added my autosomal dna results from ancestry.com to Gedmatch.com. I don't understand them at all and what they mean really if someone could help me understand them. What do the dodecad results tell me exactly. Why am I only 22% Eastern European when three of my grandparents were from there. The Gedmatch website is also quite confusing. Just so you know Three of my grandparents are from Slovakia and the third is a white American. I will upload my ancestry.com results first and then the Dodecad results View attachment 6054View attachment 6055

I don't know well the Ancestry.com test or how they calculate similarities by region, but it seems that they just compare with other members in the database, a bit like the ancestry composition in 23andMe.

Dodecad is completely different. It doesn't take look at individual as monolithic blocks but rather as entities already composed of various historical admixtures. The admixture represent ancient populations that usually no longer exist in their pure state, which is why admixtures never reach 100%, and some don't even go above 60%. That's why I find Dodecad so interesting since these "zombie admixtures" of ancient populations can be more easily equated with the spread of Y-DNA haplogroups and actual historical ethnicities. The difficulty is to find the right admixture, since the number of combinations possible is extremely high.

In contrast, the ancestry composition in 23andMe can give you 100% for one country or region if all your ancestors are from the same country, even if that country is heavily mixed ethnically. It looks like Ancestry.com is somewhere in between, looking only at modern population, but dividing more the various chromosomes while 23andMe looks more at the global picture.

Please have a look at the distribution maps I made for the various Dodecad admixtures.

Regarding your results, it would be surprising to find such high West European admixture if you are of 100% Slovak ancestry. But since you have 25% of "White American" (presumably mostly from the British Isles), it is normal.

I don't know well the Ancestry.com test or how they calculate similarities by region, but it seems that they just compare with other members in the database, a bit like the ancestry composition in 23andMe.

Dodecad is completely different. It doesn't take look at individual as monolithic blocks but rather as entities already composed of various historical admixtures. The admixture represent ancient populations that usually no longer exist in their pure state, which is why admixtures never reach 100%, and some don't even go above 60%. That's why I find Dodecad so interesting since these "zombie admixtures" of ancient populations can be more easily equated with the spread of Y-DNA haplogroups and actual historical ethnicities. The difficulty is to find the right admixture, since the number of combinations possible is extremely high.

In contrast, the ancestry composition in 23andMe can give you 100% for one country or region if all your ancestors are from the same country, even if that country is heavily mixed ethnically. It looks like Ancestry.com is somewhere in between, looking only at modern population, but dividing more the various chromosomes while 23andMe looks more at the global picture.

Please have a look at the distribution maps I made for the various Dodecad admixtures.

Regarding your results, it would be surprising to find such high West European admixture if you are of 100% Slovak ancestry. But since you have 25% of "White American" (presumably mostly from the British Isles), it is normal.

I would agree with your analysis

As well as dodecad is the best................it gives me the results I want :)(y):LOL:

my K12b info
Admix Results (sorted):

# Population Percent
1 Atlantic_Med 35.87
2 North_European 28.04
3 Caucasus 20.98
4 Gedrosia 7.02
5 Southwest_Asian 6.23
6 Northwest_African 1.42
7 South_Asian 0.33
8 Sub_Saharan 0.1

Single Population Sharing:

# Population (source) Distance
1 N_Italian (Dodecad) 6.71
2 O_Italian (Dodecad) 9.26
3 North_Italian (HGDP) 9.88
4 TSI30 (Metspalu) 11.05
5 Tuscan (HGDP) 12.44
6 C_Italian (Dodecad) 14.46

My K7b one below
# Population Percent
1 Atlantic_Baltic 55.72
2 Southern 26.21
3 West_Asian 17.43
4 South_Asian 0.44
5 African 0.2

Single Population Sharing:

# Population (source) Distance
1 N_Italian (Dodecad) 2.49
2 North_Italian (HGDP) 4.94
3 Bulgarians (Yunusbayev) 5.35
4 Romanians (Behar) 5.57
5 Bulgarian (Dodecad) 6.2
6 O_Italian (Dodecad) 6.87

Thank you, I understand what you mean, but I still have a couple of questions. The results I posted are the Dodecad v3 results, are those the same as the K=12 ones which you used to create the map, because when I look at the options on the gedmatch website I only see a K=12b test not a K12? Also what is the difference between all of these tests and what are the results they are showing when I click on Oracle? Is one more accurate than the other? Also I see at the top of your page of admixture maps from the dodecad project, that you said you lack data from Slovakia. If you want I can send you my Fathers V3 results. He is full Slovak from western slovakia

This thread has been viewed 5254 times.

Back