Automosal DNA test conflicting one another?

English Lad

Reaction score
Ethnic group
English
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1a - Z284*?
mtDNA haplogroup
W1g
Hi there,

I recently had an FTDNA family finder done, aswell as the YDNA12 and MTDNA Plus, but so far have only received my Family finder results.
I also, a few months back had a DNA test done with 23andme, what's interesting is the population references, as they're quite different.

Continent (Subcontinent)PopulationPercentageMargin of Error
Europe (Western European)Orcadian93.73%±1.91%
Middle EastPalestinian, Adygei, Bedouin, Bedouin South, Druze, Iranian, Jewish, Mozabite6.27%±1.91%

And here's my 23andme results,

Paternal = R1a1a
Maternal = W1

99.6 European,

87.3% North European
0.7% South European
< 0.1% East European
11.5% Nonspecific European

0.1% North African,

0.3% unassigned.

100% me :).

So, that's that. I'm hoping to have some expert advice on this, as I'm quite the novice. But which one should I be believing? Who's more accurate?

Apparently the FTDNA results are quite common among British men... Not sure why, but something to do with the way FTDNA reference their populations...

Anyhow, thanks!

I think that's fairly normal. You should upload your data to GEDmatch, then you can use the admixture calculators which are very helpful.

Jackson, how is it normal for an Englishman to have Slavic y-DNA and mtdna W? It's very rare.

Unless he's from the Orkney islands where R1a is 20%; he represents about 1-5% of English men being R1a. All R1a in the British isles is linked to Viking presence.

Hi there,

I recently had an FTDNA family finder done, aswell as the YDNA12 and MTDNA Plus, but so far have only received my Family finder results.
I also, a few months back had a DNA test done with 23andme, what's interesting is the population references, as they're quite different.

Continent (Subcontinent)PopulationPercentageMargin of Error
Europe (Western European)Orcadian93.73%±1.91%
Middle EastPalestinian, Adygei, Bedouin, Bedouin South, Druze, Iranian, Jewish, Mozabite6.27%±1.91%

And here's my 23andme results,

Paternal = R1a1a
Maternal = W1

99.6 European,

87.3% North European
0.7% South European
< 0.1% East European
11.5% Nonspecific European

0.1% North African,

0.3% unassigned.

100% me :).

So, that's that. I'm hoping to have some expert advice on this, as I'm quite the novice. But which one should I be believing? Who's more accurate?

Apparently the FTDNA results are quite common among British men... Not sure why, but something to do with the way FTDNA reference their populations...

Anyhow, thanks!

from each of your middle-east group, run a line to london and pinpoint a mark (for each ) at 93.73% of kms from each ME land ....that's where you are from...my guess either kent or netherlands

I think that's fairly normal. You should upload your data to GEDmatch, then you can use the admixture calculators which are very helpful.

I have recently finished uploading them, about an hour ago. Unfortunately it says the batching process hasn't been completed on my fTDNA and my 23andme says it's been only tokenized :(.

Unless he's from the Orkney islands where R1a is 20%; he represents about 1-5% of English men being R1a. All R1a in the British isles is linked to Viking presence.

Wow, that's interesting, I always thought Vikings were I1! Isn't R1a slavic? I guess that would prove the Viking-Slav relations were quite good back then lol.

from each of your middle-east group, run a line to london and pinpoint a mark (for each ) at 93.73% of kms from each ME land ....that's where you are from...my guess either kent or netherlands

I am from Kent, born, bred and that will be my Father's line. I haven't done my family tree, but I already know from my Grandfather the line in Kent goes too early 1800's ( probably further, just haven't researched it yet ), to a West ( my surname ) who was a Horse and Cart Driver. I'll still do as you say, it'll be interesting :)

Thank you!

R1a is Slavic......but the R1a in the British isles is found there because Vikings brought it over....as both Norway and Sweden have 20-25% of both R1a and R1b. I1 is a Viking genetic marker correct, but the R1a in the British isles is due to Viking, not Slavic presence.

And I'm gonna have to put a little dislike next to your comment as I sort of just ate you alive like a foetus, muy mmmuy mm

And I'm gonna have to put a little dislike next to your comment as I sort of just ate you alive like a foetus, muy mmmuy mm

Woah, i'm confused about that one?

R1a is Slavic......but the R1a in the British isles is found there because Vikings brought it over....as both Norway and Sweden have 20-25% of both R1a and R1b. I1 is a Viking genetic marker correct, but the R1a in the British isles is due to Viking, not Slavic presence.

Ah that's very interesting, what's the common opinion of how R1a entered Scandinavia, early migrations? Slaves taken from raids?

No, Viking presence that's why R1a peaks in the north of Scotland on the orkney islands at 20%.

The rest of the peninsula has 1-4% R1a, maybe a few 5% pockets.

Ah fair enough, it makes sense now. Thank you for your time :)

I don't know what to say; R1a simply isn't present that westwards in Europe. The British isles have pretty much no R1a. Or W for that matter.

Oddly enough, on your paternal side, it seems you would cluster closer to Russian, Polish, Slovenian; Slavic men.....you are very rare for an Englishman; you are just like Anderson cooper; one of those extremely rare Englishman positive for R1a1a (M17), a Slavic genetic marker within the greater indo-European group.

It threw me off, I was expecting something like YDNA - R1b and Mtdna H, or something. I look forward to my FTDNA results on my Haplogroups, see what it says with further SNP testing etc

Your mtdna group is rare as well, not only in England but the world in general. Again; you seem to be the rarity among your peers although R1a is a European haplogroup as well; half of Russian men belong to it; and many Hungarian, Czech, Slovene etc. as well

R1a is Slavic? Sorry but it's a silly over-generalization... R1a (and its many subclades) appear among many various ethnic and linguistic groups: Turkic, Persian, Arab, peoples of the Caucasus etc.

It arrived there later; with indo-European migrations from the Russian steppes

It arrived there later; with indo-European migrations from the Russian steppes

Are you saying that R1a subclade common among modern day Slavic speakers is older than R1a of Iranians? :)

Wow, that's interesting, I always thought Vikings were I1! Isn't R1a slavic? I guess that would prove the Viking-Slav relations were quite good back then lol.

If your R1a is a slavic one, then it also could come from the Saxons, because slavs (Obotrites, Polabians) were part of their ancestral land in north Germany.
In general, northern Germany has ~30% R1a, hence I find it odd that actually so few englishman are R1a. Scandinavia has as much R1a which is apparently of non-slavic origin, so it is as twice as odd.

This thread has been viewed 51803 times.

Back