Updated data on Cypriot mt-DNA haplogroups (please correct maps)

Alexandros

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Greek
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1a1a (R-L1029)
mtDNA haplogroup
H14
Dear Maciamo, I appreciate the substantial amount of time you dedicate on creating these great haplogroup distribution maps and I understand how hard it must be to go through all the evidence and get it right for every single region in Europe. I could see from your mt-DNA maps that the data for Cyprus are not accurate and up to date. I would kindly ask you to use the latest figures available from the Irwin et al (2008) paper and/or from the Cypriot DNA project (below):

1. Irwin et al, Mitochondrial control region sequences from northern Greece and Greek Cypriots. Int J Legal Med. 2008

mt-DNA Haplogroups (n=91)_____________%
H28,6
K20,9
U16,5
T8,8
J5,5
I3,3
W3,3
X3,3
L3,3
M12,2
R22,2
N11,1
HV1,1

2. Cypriot DNA project (FTDNA/23andme/GENO2.0 data)

mt-DNA Haplogroups (n=75)_____________%
H33,3
K20,0
U18,7
T5,3
J4,0
I2,7
W4,0
X1,3
L1,3
M12,7
R01,3
N11,3
HV4,0

Thanks, Alexandros. This is very helpful. I will update the maps in consequence.

Would you happen to have data on HV0, V, T1, T2 and U subclades ? Without that I cannot update those maps.

Thanks, Alexandros. This is very helpful. I will update the maps in consequence.

Would you happen to have data on HV0, V, T1, T2 and U subclades ? Without that I cannot update those maps.

For T1 and T2 (also J1 & J2) there is

Pala et al 2012 - Supplemental Data: Document S2 (Table S3)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3376494/

91 samples (Greek Cypriots) = 7.69% mtDNA T (7 samples)
all 7 samples (7.69%)
= T2 (2 samples T2* / 5 samples T2c1)

They sure do have a lot of K and H is STILL dominant (20-30%), but the 20% K is very particular since 3 of the 4 first women to receive the K mutation where Ashkenazi Jewish.

the 20% K is very particular since 3 of the 4 first women to receive the K mutation where Ashkenazi Jewish.

and who of these 4 women was the mother of Ötzi (K1ö / 3300 BC Neolithic) or the Mother at Eulau (K1b / 2600 BC Corded-ware)
acc. to that mtDNA K existed in Europe long before any Jewish diaspora and even long before the entire Jewish faith even existed altogether;

Well of course mtdna K existed long before the formation of the Jewish ethnos; never the less mtdna K is an important maternal component among the Ashkenazi Jews.

Hi Maciamo. Yes of course. Here is what I have from Irwin et al and Cypriot DNA project, combined (total n=166):

haplogroup U (N=29) => U1 (n=3), U3 (n=9), U4 (n=6), U5 (n=2), U6 (n=2), U7 (n=3), U8 (n=2), U-unspecified (n=2)

haplogroup T (n=12) => T1 (n=2), T2 (n=9), T-unspecified (n=1)

haplogroup HV (n=5) => HV9 (n=1), HV-unspecified (n=4)

haplogroup V (no data; at the moment n=0)

Regarding the other comments.. yes indeed, even though H is the predominant mtDNA haplogroup among Cypriots, the prevalence of haplogroup K is astonishingly high. I believe this is a result of continuous migrations from 'K-rich' populations during the Neolithic (Levant and Anatolia) and Chalcolithic (Cuacasus and Anatolia) periods. Haplogroup K frequency probably also received a later boost from the Jewish populations that 'flooded' the island during the Roman era. All in all, 20% is extremely high for K!

Last edited:
Excellent analysis Alexandro'sAlexandro's

Hi Maciamo. Yes of course. Here is what I have from Irwin et al and Cypriot DNA project, combined (total n=166):

haplogroup U (N=29) => U1 (n=3), U3 (n=9), U4 (n=6), U5 (n=2), U6 (n=2), U7 (n=3), U8 (n=2), U-unspecified (n=2)

haplogroup T (n=12) => T1 (n=2), T2 (n=9), T-unspecified (n=1)

haplogroup HV (n=5) => HV9 (n=1), HV-unspecified (n=4)

haplogroup V (no data; at the moment n=0)

Thanks. I have added the data for Cyprus in the mtDNA table, and corrected the maps of U3 and U4.

This thread has been viewed 9212 times.

Back