Slavs or their relatives on the Balkan before V cen.

Jovan

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Native European
Maybe I should have put this thread in linguistics, but idk...

I found many toponyms and names of tribes on the Balkan before the Vth century that have meaning in Macedonian and other slavic languages.

So here we go:

Tribes:
Dardania - Dar means gift and dan means day (ia is common ending)
Bryges - Briga means care
Doberes - Dobar means good

Cities:
Stobi (ancient city in Macedonia) - the word stolb means pillar. The city has many pillars
Byla Zora - Byla is actually vila V-B in english, it could mean like Fairy and zora is morning
Scupi - it has two meanings expensive or gather
Pela - the word bela means white and b is so close to p, actually the same letter but one is sound and the other isn't
Pelagonia - pela is from bela and i don't know how to explain the word goni since there isn't accurate word in english

what about the Illyrians, the Thracians or the Dacians?
could they allready have spoken some Slavic language?

Maybe I should have put this thread in linguistics, but idk...

I found many toponyms and names of tribes on the Balkan before the Vth century that have meaning in Macedonian and other slavic languages.

So here we go:

Tribes:
Dardania - Dar means gift and dan means day (ia is common ending)
Bryges - Briga means care
Doberes - Dobar means good

Cities:
Stobi (ancient city in Macedonia) - the word stolb means pillar. The city has many pillars
Byla Zora - Byla is actually vila V-B in english, it could mean like Fairy and zora is morning
Scupi - it has two meanings expensive or gather
Pela - the word bela means white and b is so close to p, actually the same letter but one is sound and the other isn't
Pelagonia - pela is from bela and i don't know how to explain the word goni since there isn't accurate word in english

it is legitime to look for ancient common roots in languages but do give a glance to a I-E roots "dictionary" and you 'll see that very close roots (concerning forms) exist in a lot of I-E languages sometimes with striking meanings evolutions (amazing results!) - and concerning phonetic, except for some languages as proto-germanic or armenian, I have some reserves about P-B- connexions at the beginning of words ...
no offense, have a good week-end
*: for bryges the meaning of 'care' is far enough from what I think: the supposed *B-r (or ? *Bh-r?) root has maybe more links to the "height", "mountain" "altesse" meanings or *Bh-r- >> "break" meaning ??? - just a game of bets...

This thread has been viewed 4710 times.

Back