23andme HELP- WHAT is "Nonspecific Northern European"?

Danimal

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Germanic
Y-DNA haplogroup
none
mtDNA haplogroup
H7
On my 23andme ancestry composition, it has me as being over 51% "nonspecific Northern European"..

WHAT is the deal with this? What populations could "nonspecific northern european" consist of?

On my 23andme ancestry composition, it has me as being over 51% "nonspecific Northern European"..

WHAT is the deal with this? What populations could "nonspecific northern european" consist of?

it is still the same as 2012

23andMe
posted this on December 06, 2012 12:34 PM
inShare

Ancestry Composition has the ability to assign pieces of your DNA at several geographic scales. This is important because DNA varies in where it’s found in the world. One piece of DNA might be found just in, say, Finnish people, so we can with some confidence call this DNA Finnish. Another piece of DNA might be found with some frequency in England, Norway and Germany. Instead of choosing arbitrarily from among these regions, Ancestry Composition will label DNA like that “Nonspecific Northern European."

If a piece of DNA is found all over Europe, like in Ireland, Italy, Spain, and Poland, but not outside Europe, Ancestry Composition will label that DNA “Nonspecific European."

Finally, when Ancestry Composition encounters DNA that is very widespread, like a piece of DNA that’s found in Europe, the Near East, and Asia, it will label that DNA “Unassigned.”

it is still the same as 2012

23andMe
posted this on December 06, 2012 12:34 PM
inShare

Ancestry Composition has the ability to assign pieces of your DNA at several geographic scales. This is important because DNA varies in where it’s found in the world. One piece of DNA might be found just in, say, Finnish people, so we can with some confidence call this DNA Finnish. Another piece of DNA might be found with some frequency in England, Norway and Germany. Instead of choosing arbitrarily from among these regions, Ancestry Composition will label DNA like that “Nonspecific Northern European."

If a piece of DNA is found all over Europe, like in Ireland, Italy, Spain, and Poland, but not outside Europe, Ancestry Composition will label that DNA “Nonspecific European."

Finally, when Ancestry Composition encounters DNA that is very widespread, like a piece of DNA that’s found in Europe, the Near East, and Asia, it will label that DNA “Unassigned.”

In other words, "nonspecific" DNA has not been found to be strongly characteristic of any more specific area. This could indicate very ancient segments that were spread out among different ethnicities in the distant past and no longer indicate a source, because the source has either been dispersed or represents the proto-ethnicity of all others in the area.

In other words, "nonspecific" DNA has not been found to be strongly characteristic of any more specific area. This could indicate very ancient segments that were spread out among different ethnicities in the distant past and no longer indicate a source, because the source has either been dispersed or represents the proto-ethnicity of all others in the area.

Is this your theory or do you know information from elsewhere

In 23andme, I have been a member for 2 years , but get 6 to 9 months update on my composition, last one is
Ancestry Composition results were updated on December 21, 2014.

my non-specific stands at
16.7% Broadly Southern European

25.1% Broadly Northern European

with 30.6 % Italian
and 15.8% French-German

But natgeno2 has me German first and Tuscan second ................................maybe I will do the new natgeno2 v2 which is being released 15 October 2015

This thread has been viewed 7855 times.

Back