Reaction score
Ethnic group
Croatian
Y-DNA haplogroup
I-L621
mtDNA haplogroup
H11
Hey guys,
new to the forum. I was curious, since I am somewhat confused, as to the 'ancestors' of haplogroup I2? I read before that I2 was common among natives of the Balkans (Illyrians, Thracians, Dacians) but lately I've seen people saying that I2 is actually a full-bred Slavic genome. Well, if I2 is Slavic, then why are West Slavs and East Slavs dominant R1a? What Haplogroups would the original natives (as stated before) have been? And if you have anything interesting about the line of I2's people, link it please, I'm really interested in our ancestry and history.

Hey guys,
new to the forum. I was curious, since I am somewhat confused, as to the 'ancestors' of haplogroup I2? I read before that I2 was common among natives of the Balkans (Illyrians, Thracians, Dacians) but lately I've seen people saying that I2 is actually a full-bred Slavic genome.
I belong to those.

Well, if I2 is Slavic, then why are West Slavs and East Slavs dominant R1a?
Look at people which speak Germanic languages today. Different haplogroups are found among them too, and two are predominant I1 and R1b-U106. Similar case is with the Slavs. The main problem about the Slavs is that historical science did not provide clear answer about their sudden expansion in early middle ages. I think Y-DNA perspective helped us to get a right direction.

What Haplogroups would the original natives (as stated before) have been?
My opinion is that just before the arrival of the Slavs, main haplogroups in the Balkans were E-V13, J2a (on East), J2b (on West), R1b-M269(xL51), G2a, R1b-U152, but I would also not exclude insignificant presence of I2a1b and R1a.

And if you have anything interesting about the line of I2's people, link it please, I'm really interested in our ancestry and history.
http://ancestraljourneys.org/haplogroupi.shtml

Modern distribution of haplogroups says nothing about ancient haplogroup distributions and languages.

This thread has been viewed 4757 times.

Back