Is there a future for EU defence policy?

kgnju

Reaction score
As usual, European leaders failed to push forward EU's common defence in the latest summit. Is there a hope and future for EU defence policy? Would it be better if UK's exit happen this year?

Yeah, as usual, politicians are more preoccupied on spending sh*tloads of money on social policies that would grant them reelection rather than putting together efforts to secure (for example) european borders, european financial interests, and yes, european defence too. Like one american general said, „European armies are pensionners' retreats, they aren't capable of putting together an army of 50.000 people”. And one can hardly argue with him, yes, Germany, France and Britain can mobilise some troops, but only to defend their own (national) interests, other than that they don't know how to pull back quicker, if things get messy.

Would European nations never trust each other in defence domain?Would they rely on Nato and the de facto American leadership for ever for their security?

Had Europe as a whole already declined militarily?Even for ever glorious British,French,German,Polish and Italian military?

Against whom has Europe to defend itself? No one will dare dream about attacing Europe! Europe has all the industrial infrastructure to overnight produce military hardware and screw whomever asks to be screwed. A militarized Europe is no good for anyone. Europe should continue the current path of low military spending. The biggest country bordering Europe is Russia. Russia has no potential of doing any harm to Europe as a whole, nither thay hate Europe. They at heart are as European as Europeans themselves.

I certainly hope this is a display of irony. Otherwise, I really do fear for Europe.

Had Europe as a whole already declined militarily?Even for ever glorious British,French,German,Polish and Italian military?
Military influence of Europe declined a lot, but military strength measured in men and equipment is dictated by whole economy when the time comes. We are talking about a continent with 750 million people and 15 trillion economy. If there is a danger Europe can quickly build up a huge and well equipped army. For the time being the philosophy is "Why spend on military if it is not needed". Honestly, who is going to attack Europe now?

I certainly hope this is a display of irony. Otherwise, I really do fear for Europe.
So did former US secretry for defence Mr.Gates!He feared a lot as Europe declined militarily and speak loudly that 'buy American weapons quickly'.:LOL:

And recently Mr Cameron said that the UK is still the 1st class military power and fought back against American blame by saying that 'You are declining too'.

I think, too, you need to assess military abilities "in the field", rather than in vitrio. Some nations with rather large militaries and military industrial machines are relative paper tigers "in the field".

This thread has been viewed 6134 times.

Back