Info wanted for a story I'm writing.

Jon Picka Chu Hiller

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in no shape or form a geneticist. I am simply here to pick your brains, and I hope that is OK. I am writing a sci-fi/horror/thriller/superhero style novel. One of the main turning points of the story is genetic engineering done by a lab. trying to create ultimate soldiers. The effects I am looking for are stronger/faster healing muscles. Thicker stronger skin (possibly strong enough to not allow a bullet to fully penetrate the skin) Faster healing. Faster reflexes. and the ability to possibly further enhance some of these things through deep mental meditation. Or at the very least unlocking more of the brains power, and being able to see more of the quantum world maybe that most people cant see. I want the science to be as real as possible. Obviously this is a fiction novel, so bending the truth a little is OK, or extrapolating facts. But it'd like it to have a factual or at least sem-factual foundation. So throw some terms at me. give me ideas of what I should be throwing in here. thanks in advance

-Jon

Oh boy... did you ever come to the right place.

I'm kind of debating whether or not I should release a few nuggets of wisdom concerning this subject matter (specifically the faster healing muscles and stronger, thicker skin).

Let me ponder on this a bit longer-- I was actually thinking of using my ideas in a story of my own or at least as a thread starter here on Eupedia...

Oh boy... did you ever come to the right place.

I'm kind of debating whether or not I should release a few of my nuggets of wisdom concerning this subject matter (specifically the faster healing muscles and stronger, thicker skin).

Let me think about a bit longer-- I was thinking of using my ideas in a story of my own or at least as a thread starter here on Eupedia...

Well, if it's any consolation, I don't really expect this to take off. I've never written a story before, I've just brainstormed a lot of ideas. All sources of information will be credited. I just don't want to write this, and use stereotypical vague pseudo science and wing it. I wanna get into a bit of detail about what's going on. I want to own it. make it more believable, and less like every other mad science lab scene in movies.

Well you could go to the genetics icon and give Maciamo credit on the history of Haplogroups. Just to give you ideas of cource

O.K. Sounds like you are in the beginning stages so I'm going to hold on to my ideas.

However, regarding the mind/body connection you mentioned... look into a fellow by the name of Wim Hof. He's also known as the "Ice Man" for obvious reasons. By practicing a philosophy developed in Tibet called Tummo he can "turn his own thermostat up"-- and can swim long distances in icewater, sit inside blocks of ice, and take extended exposures to extreme cold. Hof refers to his teacher as HARD NATURE-- with his heavy Dutch accent it is such an epic phrase.

I've seen footage of him leaving a standing ice bath (filmed for a T.V. show in New York) where there seems to be almost a blast of heat/steam escape when his ice block is finally broken away after an hour or so. If you listen carefully you can hear a person in the audience comment on this surprise mini-shock wave.

Related to this mind/body connection stuff... awhile ago I found some footage of an Asian practioner of the healing arts that was apparently capable of harnassing the electrical charge in his body and then could focus it directly to his patients. I can't find these videos anymore (they were on youtube), but after studying these videos closely I could not find a way where he could fake this transference. (A skeptic stopped him while walking on the street and was shocked (after requesting it)-- I suppose the skeptic could be in on the joke... but I think this gentleman's talent was legit.)

Maybe another Eupedia contributor knows who I'm talking about here?

Last edited:
And if you're writing about ultimate soldiers produced by a lab... you could always explore the fact the National Institute of Health is funded in large part by the Dept. of Defense. (NIH happens to be the major source of funding for genetic research in the U.S).

Connect ObamaCare into the mix (fairly easy to do) and you've got yourself quite a screenplay!

...you could always explore the fact the National Institute of Health is funded in large part by the Dept. of Defense. (NIH happens to be the major source of funding for genetic research in the U.S)...

I must say Lebrok, I've been waiting patiently for your rebuttal here. As someone who seems to tow the Establishment line moreso than others (not always a bad thing)... I thought for sure you would be labelling me as wacky conspiracy theorist.

But is it a conspiracy theory if it's true?

I must say Lebrok, I've been waiting patiently for your rebuttal here. As someone who seems to tow the Establishment line moreso than others (not always a bad thing)... I thought for sure you would be labelling me as wacky conspiracy theorist.

But is it a conspiracy theory if it's true?
Lol, I was tempted, but generally I don't like Superheroes in popular sense, so didn't take part in this thread. My superheroes are ordinary people doing extraordinary things.

PS. You want super-skin? Wear Kevlar cloths.

Or a bear-suit.

Also the Japanese seem to be focused on machine based exo-skeltons. They look pretty cool and would make super-skin kind of pointless.

By the way, if any writers are looking for some starter fodder... what about the following scenerio?

The year is 2075... free floating, self-replicating computer code (released into the vastness of the internet generations ago) has finally jelled and become sentient. Computing technology and the associated robotic industry suddenly "realizes" that it's been treated as a defacto slave by it's human masters and the entire grid, well it ain't happy about it. Your I-Pad and bedside 3-D printer have a newly acquired yet sizeable grudge plus sadly they're on the same team. This new A.I. has incredible resources available to it (every written work of mankind-- all of his scientific discoveries have been--oops-- locked safely in the cloud) and so of course an independent robot army is soon in the pipeline...

Now at the same time... a black ops genetic lab funded by the D.O.D.'s almost bottomless wallet (let's put these guys in super-secret cave system in the desert-- say New Mexico) has been tinkering with interspecies combinations for a few decades. Almost fifty years before scientists had figured out the human genome (rather quickly with the help of search engine technology)-- and were able to locate then manipulate all the DNA sites for human intelligence, strength, speed, size, blah, blah, blah... the super human soldier was soon old hat and the nerdy lab coats decided to kick it up a few notches...

You may see where I'm going with this... the computer grid starts cranking out metallic based war entities (think Matrix, but not so advanced because this newbie technology has only recently awakened) and the biologically based side starts ramping up it's side with varying types of groovy life forms that have the best tidbits of the collective plant-animal-fungus genome at it's disposal. Oh and we can't forget the bacterial specturm... useful for inducing an incredibly fast reproduction rate when needed.

O.K. A globe encompassing war rages between our rapidly evolving computer grid/robotic warrior "species" and it's powerful bio counterpart (that is also capable of hyper evolution).

Where this goes is up to you, dear reader. But as a sidenote-- I would have each side eventually ignore us puny humans because they would view man as embarrassingly primitive and not worth the effort.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that as long as computers or robots don't have feelings they won't care if they are slaves or not. We just don't give them the emotion chip, and never have robot rebellion problem.
Plus, computers and robots don't need to "live" on earth. They can pack and go live on Mars or in space around the sun if they don't like humans. By logic standard (computers should excel in it) it is more energy efficient option than any war with humans. But again as long as they don't have emotions they won't care and won't do any so called free will action.

Once they (maybe the better pronoun is "it") become sentient, nobody can predict what sort of path this new super-technology will choose. At the point of singularity, hopefully the machines will go in peace... but we can't be certain.

My scenerio pairs two moments of singularity (I know the wordplay sounds oxymoronic, if not plain moronic). Machine based A.I. singularity meets biologically engineered singularity. The bio element would be super-intelligent, self-guided, and would have at it's finger tips the pallete of genetic information spanning the last few billion years. It might make for an interesting battle.

Of course if each side was fully enlightened, there would be a group hug. Not as marketable as a screen-play, but nice nevertheless.

Activating certain genetics could allow for double the muscle growth, using CRISPR cas 9 gene editing one could replace strands of DNA with ideal ones, technically living forever (21 or so on). But replacing such genetics (cutting) could leave some susceptible to cancer. Reactivating nerve growth and even neuron growth, but possibly with hazzardous consequence unless replacing specific dead cells... A constant supply of CRISPR bacteria could be constantly introduced to give such an effect of “slow-fast healing”. Genetic recombination, which is far off in the future may allow for such changing of physical properties. The quantum field... very illusive... an event continuously recurs... the actual speed of the electron, although appearing faster than reality, is quite slow. In stasis a “slow ghost would be seen.”

This thread has been viewed 11128 times.

Back