R1a1a1
mtDNA haplogroup
HV2a1 +G13708A
Finally my first Results.
yDNA
yDNA.jpg

mtDNA
mtDNA.jpg

I have a few questions regarding my y and mtdna. I will ask them later.

Edit. very likely my yDNA is R1a1a1 and mtDNA HV2a1.

Last edited:
yDNA Haplogroup Tree and Global Similarity Map (Green dot is me).

Haplogroup Tree.jpg an.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.

Very interesting, I'm a slightly more 'SouthCentral Asian', I guess...

okef.jpg

You are in the far edge of the European cluster and likely closer to the East European/Caucasus/SouthCentral Asian cline than I am.

As far as my father told. My origin is paternal grandfather Southeastern Anatolian Kurd. paternal grandmother is also Southeastern from Hasankeyf. My maternal grandfather is from Mardin but with some ancestry from Qamishli from Syrian Kurdistan. And my maternal grandmother is from Qamishli in Syrian Kurdistan. I likely have more EastMed/Southern admixture makes sense considering most of my ancestry is from Turkish- and some from Syrian Kurdistan.

Last edited:
You are in the far edge of the European cluster and likely closer to the East European/Caucasus/SouthCentral Asian cline than I am.

As far as my father told. My origin is paternal grandfather Southeastern Anatolian Kurd. paternalgrandmother is also Southeastern from Hasankeyf. My maternal grandfather is from Mardin and Qamishli from Syrian Kurdistan. And my maternal grandmother is from Qamishli in Syrian Kurdistan. I likely have less Gedrosia more EastMed/Southern admixture makes sense considering most of my ancestry is from Syrian and Turkish Kurdistan.

where do you sit if u click the european box?

where do you sit if u click the european box?

It's weird, I am neither in the Near Eastern nor in the European box. I appear to be exactly between the Druze and Southeastern European samples what somehow makes sense considering my origin being 3/9 Syrian and 6/9 Southeast Anatolian (North Mesopotamian) Kurd. Some of my Kurdish connections are also neither in one of the clusters but two other Goga and some other Kurd appear on the edge of the European Cluster. Very close but outside of the East European cluster.

Also another thing which caught my attention. According to 23andMe and my Haplogroup Tree, my yDNA fits in non of the known clusters R1a1a1/R1a1a2/R1a1a3/R1a1a4/R1a1a5 but it is directly connected to the R1a1a* root. So my clade must be either a yet unknown cluster or ancestral?
attachment.php

Last edited:
It's weird, I am neither in the European nor in the Near Eastern box.
You're not the only Kurd who's neither in European nor in the Near Easter box. There's no box for the Kurds, we need our own box, hahaha. I've got 7 other Kurds in my list and none of them are in the European or in the Near Eastern box. I see only myself and other Kurd in the European box, but not in the Near Easter box if I zoom in. I'm green dot, and other Kurd (Alevi Kurmanji) from Dersim is black dot.
b2ob.jpg

You're not the only Kurd who's neither in European nor in the Near Easter box. There's no box for the Kurds, we need our own box, hahaha. I've got 7 other Kurds in my list and none of them are in the European or in the Near Eastern box. I see only myself and other Kurd in the European box, but not in the Near Easter box if I zoom in. I'm green dot, and other Kurd (Alevi Kurmanji from Dersim is black dot.
b2ob.jpg

Yes I wrote that (edited) above. You and another Kurd appear inside buton the eastern edge of the European cluster.

Last edited:
Yes I wrote that (edited) above. You and another Kurd appear inside but at the far edge of the European cluster. Close but outside of the East European cluster.
Maybe those East Europeans are actually from the Balkans? I've got the feeling that the closest Europeans to Kurds are people from the Balkans. At least somehow I feel me much connected to the South Slavic speaking Balkan folks than to any other European populations. On the other side, Kurds are native to the Zagros Mountains. But there must be a connection between the Balkans and Kurdistan. Maybe paternal hg. 'I2a' or 'E' or maybe 'Iranic' aDNA in Europe, on the European side of the Black Sea...

Maybe those East Europeans are actually from the Balkans? I've got the feeling that the closest Europeans to Kurds are people from the Balkans. At least somehow I feel me much connected to the South Slavic speaking Balkan folks than to any other European populations.
If you want to know the order of who is closest to you in the Europe: 1.Greeks 2.Albanians 3.Bulgarians/Macedonians 4.Italians 5.Ex Jugoslavs.

I shared my data with other Kurds + a American guy with pred. French ancestry and same Haplogroup. The weird thing in my genome wide comparison, the closest to me of all of them is that American guy.

I share a whole lot of 2% more with him than with the next closest Kurd in my list (who is R1a1a without the * his Haplogroup is infront of ours in the Haplogroup Tree). Me and the American share 76.35%, while me and the next closest Kurd share 74.51%.

Could that be an error. Since he also told me that he shares more genes with me than his own blood cousins.

Last edited:
The ones you share 74% or lower is beacuse they were tested using the v2 chip version. So the comparisson pattern is no the same at all, new chips should show at least 75% (only valid in your case for West Eurasian-like individuals, maybe with the exception of some North Africans).

Congratulations on getting your results.

That was explained to me a few minutes ago. The Kurdish individuals were sampled with v3 and the French guy with v4. It just made me wonder because he wrote to me that he shares more genes with me than his own blood cousins. Now that was really weird :)

Thanks Knovas.

Is there an v4 chip? if so, then your genome comparisons will be useless with the vast majority of 23andme users (v3 dominant). You'll have to share with other v4 tested Kurds to probably find the highest similarities.

How much % you and Goga share? (I guess he's v4). Anyway, belonging to the same ethnic group not always works. My highest similarities are mostly Angloamerican descent, with some Iberians and Basques.

Is there an v4 chip? if so, then your genome comparisons will be useless with the vast majority of 23andme users (v3 dominant). You'll have to share with other v4 tested Kurds to probably find the highest similarities.

How much % you and Goga share? (I guess he's v4). Anyway, belonging to the same ethnic group not always works. My highest similarities are mostly Angloamerican descent, with some Iberians and Basques.

Yes there is, and my results are in v4. I share 74.38% with Goga.

WOW! then it seems that the pattern of the v4 version resembles v2 (the difference regarding SNPs tested is surely pretty significant though). Until you have shared with lots of v4 you can't know how relevant is this similarity. You'll have to discover it yourself comparing results.

Last edited:
WOW! then it seems that the pattern of the v4 version resembles v2 (the difference regarding SNPs tested is surely pretty significant though). Until you haven't shared with lots of v4 you can't know how relevant is this similarity. You'll have to discover it yourself comparing results.

When compared results I indeed score something between the average Northern (Turkey) Kurd and Southern (Iraq)+Eastern(Iran) Kurd but with slightly more Atlantic_Med than average, which can be explained with my Western (Syrian) Kurdish admixture.

On geographic maps I end up exactly in the heart of Kurdistan somewhere between the border of Turkey and Iraq.

Alan, it's not because 23andMe didn't find your deep subclade of R1a1a that it hasn't been identified yet. 23andMe has updated the defining SNP's for haplogroups in over two years. You might be able to determine it yourself by looking at the ISOGG list of SNP's. Open your raw data with a text editor, then search for the SNP by rsid or position. Not many new SNP's are tested by 23andMe, but there might be a few downstream R1a1a. I haven't checked though. Note that the position used by 23andMe aren't the same as in ISOGG, but you can get the 23andMe position by searching for the SNP in the NCBI database. 23andMe uses the NCBI36 position, while ISOGG uses the GRCh37.p10. For example, the M417 mutation (rs17316771) has the position 8533735 at ISOGG but 8593735 at 23andMe. In this case they are very similar, but they can also be completely different.

Maciamo, Is it possible to do the same with haplogroup I1*, to determine the subclade myself by looking
at the ISOGG list of SNP's ?

This thread has been viewed 43559 times.

Back