Aberdeen

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Scottish, English and German
Y-DNA haplogroup
I1
mtDNA haplogroup
H4
I found this article on the BBC website. It's about an archeological excavation near Dartmoor, in southwestern England. It sounds as if this discovery could produce all sorts of interesting information once they have time to process everything and complete their examination of the artifacts. Unfortunately, it seems that the human remains in the tomb were cremated, so no DNA information will be forthcoming. Now that I've posted the article, the photos aren't visible, at least not on my Mac, but you can see them at the BBC website.

Dartmoor tomb treasure hoard uncovered by archaeologists
_72818748_de49a.jpg

The chamber, known as a cist, was found on Whitehorse Hill, near Chagford

Archaeologists from around the UK have been examining a hoard of treasures unearthed in a 4,000-year-old tomb on Dartmoor.
Prehistoric jewellery, animal pelts and beads made of amber were among the finds about two years ago in the burial chamber.
The chamber, known as a cist, was found on Whitehorse Hill, near Chagford.
Dartmoor National Park archaeologists have called it the most important ancient find on the moor.
When they levered off the chamber's lid they discovered an intact burial of cremated remains.
_72826965_de49b.jpg

The coiled bag has been specially cleaned
It was wrapped in an animal pelt, containing a delicate bracelet studded with tin beads, a textile fragment with detailed leather fringing and a unique coiled bag.
Jane Marchand, Dartmoor National Park's chief archaeologist, said: "Visibly it's not as impressive as Stonehenge, but archaeologically it's just as important.
"It was incredibly exciting to lift the lid and a bead fell out."
At the Wiltshire Conservation Lab, the team had the delicate task of trying to reveal the secrets of the coiled bag containing rare beads.
Just eight beads have been found on Dartmoor in the last 100 years.
_72827193_pelt.jpg

The team is awaiting DNA results to identify what animal the pelt came from
Helen Williams, a conservator at the lab, said: "The level of preservation we have got is amazing.
"We're awaiting DNA results on the pelt so we can identify what animal it might have come from.
"Amazing doesn't really do them justice. It's the most extraordinary assortment of finds with tin beads and wooden ear studs."
Archaeologists say the discovery also points to the earliest evidence of tin found in the South West."

This thread has been viewed 2893 times.

Back