What Happened To The Indo-Greeks?

Coolboygcp

His Royal Highness
Reaction score
Floridé, Le Monde, Florida, The Earth, Florida, Di
Ethnic group
English, Northern Irish, Scottish, Norwegian, Danish, Dutch, French, Irish, Greek
Does anyone know what happened to the Indo-Greeks? They were Hellenic civilisations with ethnic Greek population living around modern day India, Uzebekistan, Kazakhstan, Pakistan, etc. I found them to be interesting, and I wondered what happened to them?

Probably admixed up in the local populations there.

Must be the fall of Byzantine Empire and Muslim Arab expansion finished them off.

Look up the word "Bactria" in Wikipedia and you'll find some information. Basically, the Indo-Greeks were conquered by the Persians, became independent and created a large, prosperous kingdom for a while, were conquered by the Persians again, were invaded by various tribes over the centuries and were eventually absorbed into the local population. Modern Pashtuns often claim to be of Greek descent (apparently many of them claim to be direct descendants of Alexander the Great).

Look up the word "Bactria" in Wikipedia and you'll find some information. Basically, the Indo-Greeks were conquered by the Persians, became independent and created a large, prosperous kingdom for a while, were conquered by the Persians again, were invaded by various tribes over the centuries and were eventually absorbed into the local population. Modern Pashtuns often claim to be of Greek descent (apparently many of them claim to be direct descendants of Alexander the Great).

Nonsense post.

Nonsense post.

It definitely is nonsensical of you to post such a comment without giving reasons for doing so. If you visit any university library, you can find books that support my comments about what happened to the Indo-Greeks.

It definitely is nonsensical of you to post such a comment without giving reasons for doing so. If you visit any university library, you can find books that support my comments about what happened to the Indo-Greeks.

They got conquered by Sakas (Indo-Scythians) who also converted to buddhism in the end. Not Persians, they lost some ground to Parthians. Pashtuns don't claim Greek descent, those are the Kalash people in the Hindu Kush.

Indo-Greek descent is also claimed by few tribes in India, near the Himalaya's.

5772245514_49f7556e6d_z.jpg

They got conquered by Sakas (Indo-Scythians) who also converted to buddhism in the end. Not Persians, they lost some ground to Parthians. Pashtuns don't claim Greek descent, those are the Kalash people in the Hindu Kush.
I've never heard them claiming that. I think it is more of an invention of Greek "scholars", that Kalash are the descendants of Alexander's army.

The Sakas appear to have spoke an eastern Iranian (i.e., eastern Persian) language and are only one of the groups involved in the gradual disappearance of the Indo-Greeks. And some Pashtuns, particularly those from around Kandahar, do claim to be descended from the army of Alexander the Great. Come to Canada and you can meet Afghan immigrants who will tell you that they're the direct descendants of Alexander himself. Admittedly, some Pashtuns do have other origin myths, such as claiming to be descended from the lost tribes of Isreal. I've never spoken to any Kalash, but I've never read anything about the Kalash people claiming Greek origin.

I wrote in forum about an Alexandreia that existed much enough,

Culturally more culturally than genetic, we find much in Kallasha, and in some Pathan tribes in Afganistan,
and in 3 Villages in Thibet about 800 people,
in fact I am not going to expand more, they under heavy protection, even from China, not only UN.
they share huge Greek-Iranian, except the Indian, vocabulary, a film document about them in 70's is forbiden by UN.
they are the only Thibetians who have no need of yak

Historically manage until 1rst Century BC and some until 40-50AD,
Indo-Greeks possibly pass to Budism. and Greco-bactrian follow the fate of all in Afganistan, probably as some tribes.
later islam might turn them all, or even change or killed since Alexander was considered demon.

This thread has been viewed 9878 times.

Back