Reaction score
Ethnic group
North Alpine Italian
Y-DNA haplogroup
T1a2 -Z19945..Jura
mtDNA haplogroup
H95a1 ..Pannoni
To the Spaniards on this forum,
do any of you know which regional Spaniards ( from Spain ) settled in northern Mexico and later California,?.

At best I only have found some scripts saying.......from Murcia, Cantrabria and Galicia...........I am referring to the first settlements.
IMO Galicia could be wrong as they spoke with a Portuguese/Spanish dialect or something different still, which appears none existent now in those areas

To the Spaniards on this forum,
do any of you know which regional Spaniards ( from Spain ) settled in northern Mexico and later California,?.

At best I only have found some scripts saying.......from Murcia, Cantrabria and Galicia...........I am referring to the first settlements.
IMO Galicia could be wrong as they spoke with a Portuguese/Spanish dialect or something different still, which appears none existent now in those areas

Afaik the first Conquistadors where mostly from Extremadura/Andalucía, with some Basque Hidalgos actively participating too.

A lot of people from Canary Island arrived to Louisiana in the 18th century. Louisana was an administrative district of the Viceroyalty of New Spain (Mexico) from 1762 to 1802.
I can?t post link because have not 10 post.

Percentage of spanish inmigrants to America:

M?xico Hispano-
[ciudad) am?rica
1689(1 794-1 796)
Andaluc?a 30,224,6
Castilla-Le?n 29,916,2
Extremadura 2,963
Pa?s Vasco 19,516,l
Galicia 6,811,2
Arag?n 1,53
Valencia-Murcia O,7 1,1
Asturias 2,77,5
Catalu?a 5,415,l
Baleares - 2
Canarias 1,1O ,8
Total espa?oles95,71 O0

Afaik the first Conquistadors where mostly from Extremadura/Andalucía, with some Basque Hidalgos actively participating too.
True. The Catalans for instance, were not allowed to travel to the Americas for a long period of time. The prohibition was first adopted by Isabel La Católica and, even if Fernando El Católico repealed this law, the Catalans couldn't travel or trade there until the 18th century (and still with significant limitations). That's a bit off-topic, but I think most of the Castillian hostilities towards the "Aragonese Crown", specially Catalonia, started with the conquest and control of the American resources. The progress of the Aragonese Crown states seems like it was seen as a possible threat by the Castilians, mainly when these regions still preserved its full autonomy.

The percentage of Catalan migrants to America is surely very recent. A significant portion probably got there exiled because of the civil war.

Percentage of spanish inmigrants to America:

M�xico
Hispano-
[ciudad)
am�rica
(1 794-1 796)
Andaluc�a
Castilla-Le�n
Extremadura
Pa�s Vasco
16,l
Galicia
Arag�n
Valencia-Murcia
O,7
Asturias
Catalu�a
15,l
Baleares
-
Canarias
O ,8
Total espa�oles
1 O0

Do you mean 6,3 for Extremadura?

True. The Catalans for instance, were not allowed to travel to the Americas for a long period of time. The prohibition was first adopted by Isabel La Católica and, even if Fernando El Católico repealed this law, the Catalans couldn't travel or trade there until the 18th century (and still with significant limitations). That's a bit off-topic, but I think most of the Castillian hostilities towards the "Aragonese Crown", specially Catalonia, started with the conquest and control of the American resources. The progress of the Aragonese Crown states seems like it was seen as a possible threat by the Castilians, mainly when these regions still preserved its full autonomy.

The percentage of Catalan migrants to America is surely very recent. A significant portion probably got there exiled because of the civil war.

America, was a direct part of Castile. Trade with America could be done only through Castilian ports: first Sevilla, Cadiz later, until 18th century. Before the 18th century the majority percentage of immigrants was Castilian.

I think the Catalans, Valencians and Majorcans was forbidden only direct trade with America, not the implantation of settlers.

A "large contingent" of Majorcans and Catalans were responsible for the colonization of California, in 18th century.
Gaspar de Portol? governor of Las Californias (1768-1770), was catalan.
Pere Fages was governor of California 1770-1774, was catalan. Fages led the Company of Volunteers of Catalonia who settled in California (San Diego).
Remember also Fray Junipero Serra (Mallorca), leader of the religious issue in California.

This thread has been viewed 7048 times.

Back