Who were the Hyksos/Sea People ?

Echetlaeus

Hero of Marathon
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Epirotan
Who were the Hyksos and the Sea People ?

Can we be sure about the origin of these people? Only Egypt was able to survive during their pass of terror.

Last edited:
they were some semitic speaking people it seems
they must have come from the Levant, where they learned to make war chariots after contact with the Hetites
they conquered the whole of lower Egypt, didn't they
and they were chased out of Egypt after Egyptians themselves had learned to make the war chariot
then Egyptians started conquering the Levant

i don't know the details, i'm oversimplifying, i guess ..

Its a mystery who they were;
The Sea-peoples must have been a people (pirates/raiders) with whom the Egyptians were completely unfamiliar with otherwise they would have specified who they were; The Egyptians also referred to them as "from the foreign lands"; But the Sea-peoples were most def. a multitude of various peoples as is recorded by there many confederation unions of various peoples;

We are informed by the Medinet Habu (lines 16-17) that before the Sea-peoples came to Egypt they raided all Anatolia (Arzawa/Hatti/Cilicia), Karkemis and Alashiya (Cyprus) which most prob. brought about the Hittite empire collapse; And it is recorded from Tablets (letters) of Ugarit (Rap'anu Archive) that many cities including Ugarit were destroyed by the Sea-peoples; The Sea-peoples must have been according to their armament (and deeds) very skilled soldiers and raiders - for also the Sherden/Shardana were used (Kadesh/RamessesII) as elite mercenaries of the Egyptian Pharaohs; It might be possible that after the 10 year long Trojan-war the Sea-peoples were simply mercenaries and allies of Troja and after its burning raiding and providing for themselves; I believe the bulk of the Sea-peoples were Pelasgians/Maeonians of the Aegean islands and western Anatolia (allies of Troja / Iliad);

A part of the Sea-peoples most prob. later was seeking refuge in Sardinia for the Phoenicians recorded (Nora-stone ~800BC) that Sardinia is the island of the SHRDN (Sherden) and judging by the early 1st mil BC Bronze-age Nuragic figures the resemblance in armament (swords/helmets/shields) is striking to the Sherden who clashed with Egypt in the 12th cen BC;

Last edited:
Reactions: FBS
The Sea-peoples must have been a people (pirates/raiders) with whom the Egyptians were completely unfamiliar with otherwise they would have specified who they were; The Egyptians also referred to them as "from the foreign lands"; But the Sea-peoples were most def. a multitude of various peoples as is recorded by there many confederation unions of various peoples;

We are informed by the Medinet Habu (lines 16-17) that before the Sea-peoples came to Egypt they raided all Anatolia (Arzawa/Hatti/Cilicia), Karkemis and Alashiya (Cyprus) which most prob. brought about the Hittite empire collapse; And it is recorded from Tablets (letters) of Ugarit (Rap'anu Archive) that many cities including Ugarit were destroyed by the Sea-peoples; The Sea-peoples must have been according to their armament (and deeds) very skilled soldiers and raiders - for also the Sherden/Shardana were used (Kadesh/RamsesII) as elite mercenaries of the Egyptian Pharaohs; It might be possible that after the 10 year long Trojan-war the Sea-peoples were simply mercenaries and allies of Troja and after its burning raiding and providing for themselves; I believe the bulk of the Sea-peoples were Pelasgians/Maeonians of the Aegean islands and western Anatolia (allies of Troja / Iliad);

A part of the Sea-peoples most prob. later was seeking refuge in Sardinia for the Phoenicians recorded (Nora-stone ~800BC) that Sardinia is the island of the SHRDN (Sherden) and judging by the early 1st mil BC Bronze-age Nuragic figures the resemblance in armament (swords/helmets/shields) is striking to the Sherden who clashed with Egypt in the 12th cen BC;

The 12th century BC is an important period as it signifies the changes that brought forth the Bronze age and the technological package that changed Europe.

We are informed by the Medinet Habu (lines 16-17) that before the Sea-peoples came to Egypt they raided all Anatolia (Arzawa/Hatti/Cilicia), Karkemis and Alashiya (Cyprus) which most prob. brought about the Hittite empire collapse; And it is recorded from Tablets (letters) of Ugarit (Rap'anu Archive) that many cities including Ugarit were destroyed by the Sea-peoples; The Sea-peoples must have been according to their armament (and deeds) very skilled soldiers and raiders - for also the Sherden/Shardana were used (Kadesh/RamessesII) as elite mercenaries of the Egyptian Pharaohs; It might be possible that after the 10 year long Trojan-war the Sea-peoples were simply mercenaries and allies of Troja and after its burning raiding and providing for themselves; I believe the bulk of the Sea-peoples were Pelasgians/Maeonians of the Aegean islands and western Anatolia (allies of Troja / Iliad);

or the sea peoples where part of the Great bronze age migrational movements

10 year trojan war!........always doubted the length of this war, maybe 10 months is more accurate , each full moon could have been classified as a year

The 12th century BC is an important period as it signifies the changes that brought forth the Bronze age and the technological package that changed Europe.

Absolutely agree;
I dont think many people realize how important the 12th cen BC and all its events (expansions/collapses/movements etc.) even is as the basis (i.e. what followed/resulted of) for modern day Europe;

10 year trojan war!........always doubted the length of this war, maybe 10 months is more accurate , each full moon could have been classified as a year

I dont doubt it;
I even think that the Trojan-war was the most important event in the entire Bronze-age collapse; When Troja was burning it was followed by the Sea-peoples phenomena, the Hittite empire collapse (Sea-peoples), end of Mycenaean Greece, Greek dark-ages which in turn could be on the base of a ?Dorian invasion? against the Achaeans who primarily (Mycenae) fought the Trojan war;

I had always understood the "Sea Peoples" to be proto-Greeks, pushed to migrate by waves of Doric invaders. Or even Dorians themselves. As well, I had also read that they were culturally linked to the Philistines - and in truth, there's a few cultural clues that seem to back this up, though they may be thin evidence. In particular, the hero vs. hero combat between young David and Goliath is analogous to hero vs. hero combat in the Iliad. There's more, of course - and it could be that this was simply a similar combat style current during the Bronze Age.

Looking how they are dressed, they couldn't come from too far away like Central Europe of Central Asia. I would say somewhere around Mediterranean Sea. Perhaps a confederation of some islanders.

I've read somewhere that before Sea Peoples showed up there was a severe few year drought in Near East. This could have destabilised all the countries in the region and made them weak and susceptible to invasions. Sort of like fall of Roman Empire, which was very weak at the time of great migrations.

I wanted to clarify that the Hyksos and Sea Peoples are not the same peoples as Echetlaeus alluded to in his header. The Hyksos reign ended in 1550 BC and the Sea Peoples invaded in the 12th century BC. Hyksos were from the Levant and are probably Canaanites of the Moses tradition. The Sea Peoples probably had Canaanite allies and settled the Levant becoming the Philistines, but they were not the Hyksos.

I wanted to clarify that the Hyksos and Sea Peoples are not the same peoples as Echetlaeus alluded to in his header. The Hyksos reign ended in 1550 BC and the Sea Peoples invaded in the 12th century BC. Hyksos were from the Levant and are probably Canaanites of the Moses tradition. The Sea Peoples probably had Canaanite allies and settled the Levant becoming the Philistines, but they were not the Hyksos.

I think I fixed it now.

This thread has been viewed 10861 times.

Back