PDA

View Full Version : Catalan R1b U152/S28

joanfortuny
07-05-14, 18:30
Dear all,

I have recently received the results of an academic study I participated in that compared genetic male ancestry of present day Catalans (n=2000+) with the ethymogical origin of the paternal surname.
I turned out to be R1b U152 and my surname (Fortuny) is of clear Roman origin (Fortunius). I therefore assume that my ancestor moved to North-East Iberia during Roman times.

I am now however deeply intrigued with my ancestry and I would appreciate guidance on how to expand my knowledge. I have read with great interest the chapter on R1b haplotypes at Eupedia and would like to know about other respected sources of data on R1b U152. Also, i am wondering whether National Geographic's Geno Chip would be a good additional step or if there are better testing options available.

Many thanks!

Joan

mitchellsince1893
08-05-14, 05:41
U152 in Spain could be much older than the Romans. Some have postulated that the spread of U152 could be impart due to the Urnfield culture. I don't have enough posts to add links to my message, but if you google urnfield map you will see what I mean.

I just had my BigY test results back from FTDNA, and I'm in a subclade 5 levels down from U152. U152>L2>Z49>Z142>Z150>6 SNPs shared with individuals from Valencia, Spain, the Netherlands, and England.

This shared ancestor could be 3500 to 5000 years ago.

joanfortuny
08-05-14, 18:15
Many thanks! All this is really fascinating...

Segia2
09-05-14, 18:13
Dear all,

I have recently received the results of an academic study I participated in that compared genetic male ancestry of present day Catalans (n=2000+) with the ethymogical origin of the paternal surname.
I turned out to be R1b U152 and my surname (Fortuny) is of clear Roman origin (Fortunius). I therefore assume that my ancestor moved to North-East Iberia during Roman times.

I am now however deeply intrigued with my ancestry and I would appreciate guidance on how to expand my knowledge. I have read with great interest the chapter on R1b haplotypes at Eupedia and would like to know about other respected sources of data on R1b U152. Also, i am wondering whether National Geographic's Geno Chip would be a good additional step or if there are better testing options available.

Many thanks!

Joan

Well, surnames are a matter of Medioevo, so we can trace a latin etimology in origin, but not a roman root per se. My opinion is that your surname can be catalan and related to the Almogavar company. BTW, there is a catalan surname Fortuny (ny sounds like french gn) Check this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almogavars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_Company

Those guys left their trace in southeastern Europe and Asia Minor centuries ago.

I thought you flag was from Romania, I forgot ANDORRA. Sorry :)