Catalan R1b U152/S28

joanfortuny

Reaction score
Dear all,

I have recently received the results of an academic study I participated in that compared genetic male ancestry of present day Catalans (n=2000+) with the ethymogical origin of the paternal surname.
I turned out to be R1b U152 and my surname (Fortuny) is of clear Roman origin (Fortunius). I therefore assume that my ancestor moved to North-East Iberia during Roman times.

I am now however deeply intrigued with my ancestry and I would appreciate guidance on how to expand my knowledge. I have read with great interest the chapter on R1b haplotypes at Eupedia and would like to know about other respected sources of data on R1b U152. Also, i am wondering whether National Geographic's Geno Chip would be a good additional step or if there are better testing options available.

Many thanks!

Joan

U152 in Spain could be much older than the Romans. Some have postulated that the spread of U152 could be impart due to the Urnfield culture. I don't have enough posts to add links to my message, but if you google urnfield map you will see what I mean.

I just had my BigY test results back from FTDNA, and I'm in a subclade 5 levels down from U152. U152>L2>Z49>Z142>Z150>6 SNPs shared with individuals from Valencia, Spain, the Netherlands, and England.

This shared ancestor could be 3500 to 5000 years ago.

Dear all,

I have recently received the results of an academic study I participated in that compared genetic male ancestry of present day Catalans (n=2000+) with the ethymogical origin of the paternal surname.
I turned out to be R1b U152 and my surname (Fortuny) is of clear Roman origin (Fortunius). I therefore assume that my ancestor moved to North-East Iberia during Roman times.

I am now however deeply intrigued with my ancestry and I would appreciate guidance on how to expand my knowledge. I have read with great interest the chapter on R1b haplotypes at Eupedia and would like to know about other respected sources of data on R1b U152. Also, i am wondering whether National Geographic's Geno Chip would be a good additional step or if there are better testing options available.

Many thanks!

Joan

Well, surnames are a matter of Medioevo, so we can trace a latin etimology in origin, but not a roman root per se. My opinion is that your surname can be catalan and related to the Almogavar company. BTW, there is a catalan surname Fortuny (ny sounds like french gn) Check this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almogavars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_Company

Those guys left their trace in southeastern Europe and Asia Minor centuries ago.

I thought you flag was from Romania, I forgot ANDORRA. Sorry :)

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 5252 times.

Back