German music

Echetlaeus

Hero of Marathon
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Epirotan
I start with this ...

Good idea, but bad timing - there isn't much innovation going on in German music these days (but the same can, of course, also be said about English and American musicl).

Here is one of the better new songs: Gloria - Wie sehr wir leuchten (How much we are shining, when walking on our kiez, down our streets). I may of course be biased, as it is a hymn on Hamburg- St. Pauli, my old home ..

The current No.1 of the German charts:
Part of the popularity is due to the fact that it has become the "official" World Cup hymn on German TV.

During my daughter's high school closing ceremony yesterday, the choir of all graduates sung it, and I found the text quite fitting to the event:
"Hurray to us - to this life - to the moment - that forever stays"

Revolverheld feat. Marta Jandová - Halt Dich an mir fest: youtube.com/watch?v=wCcJuN47UcY

[FONT=&quot]This assignment isn't that useful after all. There are no general facts about music. I could give you 10 facts on German classical music, 10 facts on German pop music, 10 facts on German metal music, ... You get my point :) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But I looked on the web and found several German articles about facts on music. I'll just list the translated key points here. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1. Music is a central aspect of Germany's cultural self-understanding. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. There are more than 10.000 institutions and initiatives recorded that deal with music; music information centers, educational establishments for music as well as further-education establishments, music festivals, funding agencies, foundations, documentation agencies... [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. Germany has a huge musical 'legacy' and a vivid music scene. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. 133 publicly funded symphony orchestras and 83 musical theaters currently dominate the cultural life in the Federal Republic of Germany and are critical to an ambitious program policy from early to contemporary music. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. Last year there were 20.000 events recorded: 1/3 concerts, 2/3 music theater. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. Huge boom in amount of festivals (140(1996) -> 480(2011)). [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7. Germany still relies on icons like Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Händel, Strauss and Mozart. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8. After the 20th century electro-pop music is rapidly advancing. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9. Germans appreciate English as well as German lyrics. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10. Known bands might be: Rammstein, Die Toten Hosen, Tokio Hotel, Herbert Grönemeier - they all sing mostly in German. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11. During the last years many artists relied on American soul and rap culture. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12. Many of the German musicians are immigrants. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]13. The club scene is advancing in Germany; icons like Sven Väth and Paul van Dyk are Germans. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]That's all I found useful (I know that these are more than 10 facts, pick whichever you want :)). [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Greetings from Germany.[/FONT]

This thread has been viewed 6408 times.

Back