Power77

Reaction score
Ethnic group
1/4 Sephardic 3/4 Ashkenazi
Y-DNA haplogroup
E1a1
mtDNA haplogroup
H1
It seems human head transplants are soon on the horizon according to Italian neuroscientist Sergio Canavero:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...nsplant-now-possible-neurosurgeon-claims.html

tp://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/262948.php

It seems the information dates a bit(it is basically from last year), and we've never heard about it since then. The main purpose for this process is to help either paralyzed people or people whose cancer has not yet reach their brain. I think if possible and applied this process will certainly be used by rich people wanting a new body which is scary to say the least! Could we imagine an adult head on a toddler body?Or a male head on a female body:)laughing:)? Or if such a technique ever makes an unthinking progress would we be ready for a human head on a animal body:)confused2:)? And what if the chimera reproduces?
Many other ethical questions could be raised concerning such a breakthrough.

I definitely think science will keep making lots of even more breathtaking progresses as this.
What are your takes on this?
Dou you see it as a useful progress or as a pure sadistic tool that may be used by bored rich elites(much like the movie The Island)?
Or do you think this is just bollocks and this neuroscientist just came up with this so that the media can talk about him?
Share.

It's a scary thought. If they can regenerate nerve cells without scaring, then it could be possible. The brain is an immunologically privileged organ (rejection is not an issue). If science can transplant a brain using MRL mice, then somebody somewhere will try on a human.

It's a scary thought. If they can regenerate nerve cells without scaring, then it could be possible. The brain is an immunologically privileged organ (rejection is not an issue). If science can transplant a brain using MRL mice, then somebody somewhere will try on a human.

Indeed.
But we are talking about whole-head transplant rather than brain-only transplant so the issue of rejection may certainly be higher.
But I guess the results would be similar if we consider the theory that the brain is the source of personality,memory,ect.
Hence the saying You are your brain.

Indeed.
But we are talking about whole-head transplant rather than brain-only transplant so the issue of rejection may certainly be higher.
But I guess the results would be similar if we consider the theory that the brain is the source of personality,memory,ect.
Until regeneration and accurate reconnection of spinal nerves is achieved it is not possible. Well you can stitch the head the the corps, but corps won't move and will need to be fed and blood pumped. It is not a transplant anyone would want. It is a hoax or very bad science.

Until regeneration and accurate reconnection of spinal nerves is achieved it is not possible. Well you can stitch the head the the corps, but corps won't move and will need to be fed and blood pumped. It is not a transplant anyone would want. It is a hoax or very bad science.

Interresting point of view.
I notice that Italian scientists are hardly credible. As we've seen it in the 80's with the claim of making 65-year old women as fertile as a 30-year old female.
If they really could reconnect the spinal cord then three wouldn't be any paralyzed people already and there probably wouldn't be any need for such a procedure.
I also find it hard that any individual created would be able to move properly or even reproduce.

I also wonder what would be the haplogroup of such individuals. Would the DNA of the body take over the one in the head/brain? Or would it be the opposite (as it is assumed that it is the brain which controls the body)?
So many questions to be answered...

Last edited:
Indeed.
I doubt that transplanting a whole head is possible, once your head is decapitated the victim has only a couple of seconds to live. How do you think they are going to buy some time to actually do a successful transplant?:shocked::unsure::cool-v::startled::innocent:

@ Twilight Do you beleive that Robert White's experiment could have been an hoax? I personally thought it was somewhat a possibility actually. I mean smoking a pipe when doing something as complex as a whole head transplant? Seriously? Something fishy about the thing. Good point though.

@ LeBrok Here is what I found. It's from a recent 2014 German study: S0969996114000795?via=ihub

I have seen a tv reportage on this. But to me it sounds a very irrealistic idea

i am sure they will find a way to do it, i read somewhere that italian surgeon is trying to do soon

This thread has been viewed 9686 times.

Back