We need to double crop production by 2050

Echetlaeus

Hero of Marathon
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Epirotan
according to an article in National Geographic (May Issue of 2014). This is due to the expected higher population.

This makes me wonder ...

They propose 5 steps to solve world's food dilemma.

1. Freeze agriculture's footprint
2. Grow more on farm's we got
3. Use resources more friendly
4. Shift diets
5. Reduce waste

according to an article in National Geographic (May Issue of 2014). This is due to the expected higher population.

This makes me wonder ...

They propose 5 steps to solve world's food dilemma.

1. Freeze agriculture's footprint
2. Grow more on farm's we got
3. Use resources more friendly
4. Shift diets
5. Reduce waste
6. Enact the Chinese law : 1 child for couple
7. Mandatory use of contraceptives
8. " Population control- new subject in schools

6. Enact the Chinese law : 1 child for couple
7. Mandatory use of contraceptives
8. " Population control- new subject in schools

I agree, but some people will say that it is not politically correct :sad-2:

I think schools should emphasize mathematics and show how human population growth is geometric and show that GDP/population = wealth. Poverty brings disease, starvation from famine, war, environmental damage, etc. The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse is not religious but nature's way of balancing human population.

Agricultural productivity has increased by about four fold in the last 50 years in average in developing countries.

Wheat_yields_in_developing_countries_1951-2004.png

It should increase even faster in coming decades thanks to new technologies like vertical farming (indoor with optimal sunlight, temperature, humidity and nutrients), precision farming (using sensors to avoid waste), agbots (replacing human labour), new GM crops (higher yields with less pesticides), etc. By 2050 it will e possible to feed 60 billion people with the current land usage. Since there will only be 8 billion people, that means that a big part of the land used for agriculture today will be returned to nature.

Agricultural productivity has increased by about four fold in the last 50 years in average in developing countries.

Wheat_yields_in_developing_countries_1951-2004.png

It should increase even faster in coming decades thanks to new technologies like vertical farming (indoor with optimal sunlight, temperature, humidity and nutrients), precision farming (using sensors to avoid waste), agbots (replacing human labour), new GM crops (higher yields with less pesticides), etc. By 2050 it will e possible to feed 60 billion people with the current land usage. Since there will only be 8 billion people, that means that a big part of the land used for agriculture today will be returned to nature.
Its possible scientifically to raise production temporarily no doubt about it but in large part, fossil fuels are responsible for it. They are used to make fertilizers, to heat the greenhouses and work the land through mechanized machines and all kind of stuff. As the fossil fuels reserves are declining gradually the price of lb of tomatoes will approach that of a smart phone. So in medium term raising the food production is not sustainable. The land as time goes by looses the ability to produce since its minerals are used by continuous planting. So the only solution is lowering the birthrate until the world population decreases to 1 billion. UK for instance can support 5 mil people or twelve times less than it has today.

I think this is an interesting documentary relative to the subject

In another documentary (lecture) by a Swedish demographer (which I cannot locate) states that the world population is bound to stabilize by 2050 with Africa being one of the most populated continents. I post it if I find it as I found it very interesting.

I think this is an interesting documentary relative to the subject

In another documentary (lecture) by a Swedish demographer (which I cannot locate) states that the world population is bound to stabilize by 2050 with Africa being one of the most populated continents. I post it if I find it as I found it very interesting.

Not to sound harsh, but that does sound like Africa needs to double its crop output. Europe has a stabilized population in France - due to fierce natalist policies since the first world war - and a declining one in every other country. We have completely different issues.

new GM crops (higher yields with less pesticides)

GM crops require more pesticides actually.
Otherwise I agree with the rest.

This thread has been viewed 8644 times.

Back