"Happy-Pharrell"-The Globalization of Culture

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Sometimes, very silly little things can make me happy...this video link that a cousin sent me is one of those things. Then it occurred to me that if a little city like mine is making a video like this, and grandparents are joining in, the globalization of culture is really very far advanced.

this is horrible, lol. Making copies of a shameless market-scam of a song. But at least it made you happy Angela.

this is horrible, lol. Making copies of a shameless market-scam of a song. But at least it made you happy Angela.
Should we go to old way and market our products by war and conquest? It can't get better than marketing and building awareness of a region by song and laughter.

Should we go to old way and market our products by war and conquest? It can't get better than marketing and building awareness of a region by song and laughter.
I'm not against marketing good stuff, but the song is selling happiness...One can't sell happiness; the most one can sell is a sense of euphoria followed by a sense of emptiness.

I'm not against marketing good stuff, but the song is selling happiness...One can't sell happiness; the most one can sell is a sense of euphoria followed by a sense of emptiness.
They are selling their beautiful place to potential tourists, happiness is just a tool, to move people with positive emotions, to attract visitors.

Ouch!
sad-2.gif
That's a little harsh, Kamani. For me initially it was just a chance to see a video of my place and of my people having fun with a silly song. Secondarily, it was a reminder of how quickly a pop culture song from the U.S. can penetrate even into very small, distant areas.

In this particular international incarnation of this song, I think there was a marketing aspect in terms of tourism, but is that so bad? As Le Brok said, "They are selling their beautiful place to potential tourists, happiness is just a tool, to move people with positive emotions, to attract visitors."

However, the internet is full of people making silly videos using this song. Some are just students having fun with it, while others are connected to this: the U.N. International Day of Happiness. See:
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...International-Day-of-Happiness-251186571.html

I think it's all very harmless. More, I'd say anything that lifts people's spirits for even a little while is a good thing.

Another thing that occurred to me is that videos like this are a fun way to get a peek into another place and its diverse people...sort of like tourism on a budget.

Now I'm going to torture you all with some more...although of course you don't have to look.
grin.png

Once my cousin sent me the LaSpezia one, I looked for a Tuscan one, as I'm part quasi Tuscan, and found this one for Siena that I liked a lot.
<em>

This one from New York is a hoot! I dare you to watch the Orthodox Jew and the buttoned up Wall Street type doing it and not smile.
smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lz6SF3s0h0

Because it's terrible when a community comes together to express itself in a fun way. Do you think those folks should be out kicking kittens or quarreling with their neighbours instead?

I thought the video was very cute.

I guess it is a matter of taste. I mean nothing personal to fellow forum members...

@Aberdeen
There is more states of being than euphoric or pissed-off. You don't have to be either of those if you don't want to.

I can't resist. Here are the Neapolitans. O.K. now I'll stop. I do know how annoying the song can become. My daughter asked me nicely to use earphones!:grin:

If anyone wishes to post one from their hometown, however, I, for one, would enjoy seeing it.

Oh, Kamani, I wasn't offended. I find it difficult to hide it when that's the case.

I guess it is a matter of taste. I mean nothing personal to fellow forum members...

@Aberdeen
There is more states of being than euphoric or pissed-off. You don't have to be either of those if you don't want to.

But I prefer to be in one or the other of those two states of being. Why be bland?

I loved the Neopolitan video.

Very nice Video and love the backgrounds used. This song is being used in this way by many countries / towns I guess. Its all positive i guess. After seeing it I had to make a quick search to know where this lovely town is :). Don't mind visiting it.

This thread has been viewed 6990 times.

Back