The Byzantine Empire must be revived

Echetlaeus

Hero of Marathon
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Epirotan
What do you think bros and broettes of the former glorious Byzantine Empire?

Wouldn't we be better off if we create a super-state, an empire once again?

It is called EU these days. Although much better, it is a republic of free people.

That would definitely give the Turkish army something to do.

You would be OK with being subjugated by an elite class where there is no middle class only rich and poor, that is essentially a monarchical rule? Do you think the ordinary citizen of the Byzantine Empire was living a life of freedom and prosperity? It's only good to be King, until your assassinated (by your brother or your father's second wife, lol).

That would definitely give the Turkish army something to do.

The aim is to wipe-out that army together should they attack us.

You would be OK with being subjugated by an elite class where there is no middle class only rich and poor, that is essentially a monarchical rule? Do you think the ordinary citizen of the Byzantine Empire was living a life of freedom and prosperity? It's only good to be King, until your assassinated (by your brother or your father's second wife, lol).

Yes, we will do everything for the beloved benevolent despot, who cares about his people.

I think that the Byzantines were living much better than the rest of the Europeans that time.

The middle class appeared many years afterwards, I think during the period of the French Revolution.

Echetlaeus, I can't believe I don't agree with you. (Sarcasm.) :LOL:

First off, there is no chance in hell to happen. Many Greeks have this dream, including myself once in a blue moon; of the Byzantine Empire returning. It will never happen. Many Greeks want Constantinople to be returned, but this won't happen either. There are almost 8 times more Turks than Greeks. What do you plan to do with them? Where would be the capital be? Would it be led by Greeks or Turks? Would it be an absolute monarchy? How do you plan on this even happening?

Yes, it would be nice if Istanbul was still Constantinople and was still Greek. It would be nice if the Greeks that had lived in Turkey for thousands of years along the Mediterranean and Black Sea coasts were still able to live in their land. But that won't happen. It is a pipe-dream. Look at how well Enosis with Cyprus went. How would Greece be able to attempt a project of this magnitude?

Echetlaeus, I can't believe I don't agree with you. (Sarcasm.) :LOL:

First off, there is no chance in hell to happen. Many Greeks have this dream, including myself once in a blue moon; of the Byzantine Empire returning. It will never happen. Many Greeks want Constantinople to be returned, but this won't happen either. There are almost 8 times more Turks than Greeks. What do you plan to do with them? Where would be the capital be? Would it be led by Greeks or Turks? Would it be an absolute monarchy? How do you plan on this even happening?

Yes, it would be nice if Istanbul was still Constantinople and was still Greek. It would be nice if the Greeks that had lived in Turkey for thousands of years along the Mediterranean and Black Sea coasts were still able to live in their land. But that won't happen. It is a pipe-dream. Look at how well Enosis with Cyprus went. How would Greece be able to attempt a project of this magnitude?

No Turks following Islam shall be in the new revived Byzantine Empire.
When I talked about the revival I meant a unification in the European lands. Once this power is established well, then we can move in the next step.

The capital city will be the most prestigious city in the European lands, for the time being. That being said, it cannot be Constantinople (at least in the beginning).

The regime must be democratic, to follow nowadays wave, an emperor would not be bad idea though.

^ I expected "nogoods" for this statement.

What would it be good though is the revelation of the people who vote (positively or negatively). Then someone can distinguish friends from foes, as it happens in reality.

I hope the mods. will do something for this.

I expect "nogood" for this statement also.

Cheers!

Echetlaeus, I admire your Greek patriotism. Don't take criticism from EU fanatics to seriously, there is alot of good in how the west works today, but there was also good(not all bad) in the old ways they can't see.

Echetlaeus, I admire your Greek patriotism. Don't take criticism from EU fanatics to seriously, there is alot of good in how the west works today, but there was also good(not all bad) in the old ways they can't see.
Actually by our standards it was all bad. It was only good when compared to other countries or civilisations back then.
Give me one example what they had back then that you want it to have today.

No Turks following Islam shall be in the new revived Byzantine Empire.
When I talked about the revival I meant a unification in the European lands. Once this power is established well, then we can move in the next step.

The capital city will be the most prestigious city in the European lands, for the time being. That being said, it cannot be Constantinople (at least in the beginning).

The regime must be democratic, to follow nowadays wave, an emperor would not be bad idea though.
:LOL: I found this statement funny. Idea is quite interesting, Spaniard had their reconquista it is time for Greeks to have their own. I gave you +, because I thing that it would be good to take back Anatolia the cradle of Christianity to Christian community. But as far as I am concerned that is just a dream, because Bulgarians, Macedonians, Albanians, Serbs and Bosnians could not be happy with proposal of giving up their state to reestablish Europe in Byzantine nomenclature, and Turks would especially have something against.

BTW I have read somewhere that even today around Trabzon - Trapezund people are speaking Greek but they are Muslim, they are descendants of Pontic Greeks. Do you know how much Greeks are still leaving in Turkey?

The "black and white" mentality of this discussion amazes me. There is a great song on this theme by TOOL. It starts like this: Black and white are all I see in my infancy"... Maynard is a genius!

The "black and white" mentality of this discussion amazes me. There is a great song on this theme by TOOL. It starts like this: Black and white are all I see in my infancy"... Maynard is a genius!

Can you explain your point with more detail. I would like to know exactly what you mean by this.

:LOL: I found this statement funny. Idea is quite interesting, Spaniard had their reconquista it is time for Greeks to have their own. I gave you +, because I thing that it would be good to take back Anatolia the cradle of Christianity to Christian community. But as far as I am concerned that is just a dream, because Bulgarians, Macedonians, Albanians, Serbs and Bosnians could not be happy with proposal of giving up their state to reestablish Europe in Byzantine nomenclature, and Turks would especially have something against.
Also Albanians and Bosnians are mostly Muslims, they wouldn't be glad to hear you want it back in Christian hands.

Also Albanians and Bosnians are mostly Muslims, they wouldn't be glad to hear you want it back in Christian hands.

They were Christians before. They will become again.

They were Christians before. They will become again.
Shouldn't it be everybody's personal choice and not you telling people what to believe? According to your logic Greeks should go back to original hellenistic religion.

Shouldn't it be everybody's personal choice and not you telling people what to believe? According to your logic Greeks should go back to original hellenistic religion.

Yes, we should, for the sake of Apollo and mighty Zeus.

BTW I have read somewhere that even today around Trabzon - Trapezund people are speaking Greek but they are Muslim, they are descendants of Pontic Greeks. Do you know how much Greeks are still leaving in Turkey?

Only 2000 by Turkey's standard. But I believe that those by blood, although they do not feel like that, must be many, maybe millions. I cannot give a specific number. For this you should ask the experts, if there are any.

This thread has been viewed 68895 times.

Back